PDA

View Full Version : question about a smelting pot

maddog2020
04-18-2010, 12:17 AM
I have a big cast iron pot for melting down my wheel weights etc.
would it plausible to add a spigot, to open and close to let the lead run out the bottom into ingots, or would the heat ruin the spigot?>

Bkid
04-18-2010, 12:28 AM
I have a big cast iron pot for melting down my wheel weights etc.
would it plausible to add a spigot, to open and close to let the lead run out the bottom into ingots, or would the heat ruin the spigot?>

I think that would clog up. I think something like on the bottom pour pots,just larger scale.

maddog2020
04-18-2010, 12:32 AM
yeah I was going to drill and tap it as close to the bottom as possible, where 90% of the heat would be, just brain storming\ or maybe a brass cut off valve?

Bkid
04-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Check this out .I want one now.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=707

starbits
04-18-2010, 01:14 AM
yeah I was going to drill and tap it as close to the bottom as possible, where 90% of the heat would be, just brain storming\ or maybe a brass cut off valve?

Two problems

1. brass expands at a different rate than cast iron so the interface between the two will not be stable and could become a leak source.

2. Thermal expansion is not just a function of the temperature, but also the thickness of the metal. So in a ball valve, the ball and the casing would expand different amounts. Worst case the hot lead flowing through it could cause additional expansion making it difficult to close once opened. There are high temperature ball valves, but they would cost a lot more than you'd want to spend.

I decided to build my own pot and considered ball valves, but the ones I found temperature ratings on were all 300 degrees F or less. I finally decided to go back to the stick in a hole.

Starbits

mooman76
04-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Someone here actually did that and it worked. He had pictures posted too. It would have to be the right type though to withstand the heat.

NuJudge
04-18-2010, 09:43 AM
The valves on smelting pots that I've seen here were stopper rods, not ball or gate valves.

CDD

LeadThrower
06-17-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm currently making a bottom pour, and have a couple ideas which I'll post if they're successful. I have one question for you who have built your own: Does your stopper rod provide a water-tight seal? If not, how fast can water leak from the seal before it indicates that lead will also be leaking?

Thanks for any insights!