PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas Mosin-Nagant's

cheese1566
04-18-2010, 12:00 AM
I see in the weekly flier for the Cabelas in my area that they have some Mosin Nagants on sale for $99.99, "Quantities Limimited, Russian Surplus Rifles. Excellent condition. Was $149.99"

Anybody see one of these on the Cabelas racks? I have seen Mosins in other stores and have a C&R so I really know they are surplus and not new rifles. The price is close enough to dealer price that I could inspect rather then play the lottery in ordering one.

I may have to take the 45 minute drive and go look. I should get one before they dry up and the prices go up. I would shoot it once in a while and tinker PP and cast loads in it.

I have a $40 gift card and may come home with one! I would then have to accumulate brass, dies, sizers, another mold...it never ends!!!

What should I look for when checking them out?

mike in co
04-18-2010, 01:44 AM
I see in the weekly flier for the Cabelas in my area that they have some Mosin Nagants on sale for $99.99, "Quantities Limimited, Russian Surplus Rifles. Excellent condition. Was $149.99"

Anybody see one of these on the Cabelas racks? I have seen Mosins in other stores and have a C&R so I really know they are surplus and not new rifles. The price is close enough to dealer price that I could inspect rather then play the lottery in ordering one.

I may have to take the 45 minute drive and go look. I should get one before they dry up and the prices go up. I would shoot it once in a while and tinker PP and cast loads in it.

I have a $40 gift card and may come home with one! I would then have to accumulate brass, dies, sizers, another mold...it never ends!!!

What should I look for when checking them out?

no counter bore, uniform rifling at the muzzle. muzzle smaller than throat( tuff to check)

crisp rifling...sometimes...atleast strong rifling.

matching numbers would be nice.

remember these are ww1/ww2 surplus.

some as new as the 40/50's...some as old as 1890....

the 9130 have a longer sight radius...the 20" carbines are "handier"

all are fun.......today i own 14...5 of wich are finn conversions.

lee makes a handloader...but it is jacket bullet only..not cast friendly.

mike in co

dualsport
04-18-2010, 02:34 AM
What Mike said. Get one, that's a good price, good enough, and they are fun to play with. I bought a couple refurbished ones and one appears to have an unfired barrel, a nice surprise. Surprise because you can't really clean the cosmoline outta there good 'til you get her home. I'm just getting started casting and reloading for mine, going fine so far. They're a lot of fun for the money, and surplus ammo is still pretty cheap, for now, if you want to go blasting with full power fmjs. REMEMBER to clean the bore with WATER after shooting any surplus ammo, or your bore will corrode. I am growing fond of mine and really like the way they "feel". Seems nicely balanced to me, carries nice. If you want a crash course on MNs go to '7.62x54R.com'. Do not say anything there about sportsterizing one, they freak. EDIT: Let us know.

2shot
04-19-2010, 10:30 AM
I got the Cabela's flyer on Wednesday, went to Cabela's on Saturday and they only had one left of the 500 they said they had. The guy before me in line at the gun counter asked about them and took the last. They were not out on the used gun rack, people had to ask for them and they were kept in the back room. I forget the importer but they were with bayonets and boxed nicely.

Guess I waited too long and lost out on a desent price for these. I would suggest calling first to see if they have any before making the drive and taking a chance that they still have some. Although Cabela's always gets some of my money when I visit their store it was disappointing to come up one short on getting one of these Mosin-Nagant's

sheepdog
04-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Pay a little more and get one here hand select. http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/c/c-r-guns/p/mosin-nagant-91-30-hex-receiver-laminated-stock%2C-7-62x54r/cPath/290/products_id/3919

but if you got alot to select from look for in this order
Tightest bore (bring calibers)
Good bore without blemishes
Good crown
No counter bore (believe is or not a counter bore can shoot good but usually don't for excessive wear).
matching numbers
Hex Reciever
Good metal work
Tula marked
Laminated stock
Tiger striped stock
Cheapest