PDA

View Full Version : Clean up with BP

HEAD0001
04-17-2010, 09:09 PM
I am thinking about shooting some BP loads in my 45 Colt Low Wall. I have never shot BP in a Low Wall. How bad is the clean up?? Do you need to take the rifle apart?? Or do you only need to clean up the barrel?? Does the BP "gunk" get back into the action?? Thanks, Tom.

shotman
04-17-2010, 09:19 PM
tom simple green works good dont know about taking apart but it is water base so need to re oil
this side of WV rick

HEAD0001
04-18-2010, 01:36 AM
tom simple green works good dont know about taking apart but it is water base so need to re oil
this side of WV rick

This side of WV?? Where is that at. I am just outside of Morgantown. Tom.

Southern Son
04-18-2010, 05:02 AM
Tom, when I started I was told that boiling wather was best. Now I just use windex with vinigar (watered down a little). It is easier than than smokeless with J-Bullets.

NickSS
04-18-2010, 05:42 AM
Generally my black powder cartridge rifles are easier and faster to clean than the same rifle shooting smokeless powder. I generally run a patch moistened with my saliva through the bore right after shooting a string of shots. When I get home I moisten a patch with a 50-50 mix of Balistol and water and run it through followed by a second patch with the same bore cleaner on it. I then make one pass with a nylon bristle brush and one patch with balistol and water. Followed by a dry patch. The bore is now clean if there is some leading noticed on my patches (a rare occurrence) I run a patch or two with kroil on it. Let it sit a few minutes and push a tight patch through. Generally this takes care of all leading that I can see. Once done cleaning I run a patch with Birchwood casey Barricade on it through the bore and also wipe down all exterior surfaces with a barricade saturated patch

Guido4198
04-18-2010, 05:51 AM
Ballistol.....

StrawHat
04-18-2010, 05:53 AM
... Does the BP "gunk" get back into the action?? Thanks, Tom.

It shouldn't. The cartridge case should expand and act as a seal. If the case is not blackened on the outside you should be okay. If you have black streaks running back to the rim, you need to clean the action and tweak your load to prevent a reoccurence.

Taco Belly
04-18-2010, 09:58 AM
I shoot BP in my 45 Colt Browning Low Wall regularly. I use diluted Simple Green for clean up and run a soaked patch between shots (3-5). It sure is a great BP rifle, shoots just as well as with smokeless.

Lead Fred
04-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Before I start I coat the barrel with T/C 1000+ bore butter.
Shoot the heck out of it.
Run one patch of T/C #13 bore cleaner though it at the range.
Go home, run a second #13 though.
Clean with fresh patches, and light coat of bore butter.

No mess, no fuss, no time

1874Sharps
04-18-2010, 01:41 PM
On a single shot 45-70 like a Sharps, for example, clean up is pretty easy, as all the fouling stays ahead of the chamber. This is because the 45-70 case is long enough to seal and keep the gunk ahead of most of the chamber. I pose a question to those of you who shoot low walls: Is the 45 Colt long enough to seal?