PDA

View Full Version : What to do with this barrel?

4570guy
04-17-2010, 05:41 PM
I was given a bull-barrel for a Winchester Model 70 chambered in .300 Win Mag. I don't shoot .300 Win Mag but this is sure a nice (almost brand new) barrel. I started out hobby gunsmithing a few years ago and have a few refinishing projects under my belt. I'd sure like to find something useful to do with this barrel that wouldn't cost me an arm and leg.

First question - will Winchester barrel threads fit only Winchester receivers? Will US Milsurp receivers fit or am I going to have to find another Win receiver?

I don't have the tools to measure or set headspace, so I'll need to take it to a real 'smith for that work. However, I'd like to someday build a rifle around this barrel.

I'm assuming since the barrel was chambered for .300 Win Mag, there's not much else I could have it re-chambered for!

I wouldn't feel right about selling it as it was given to me by the wife's uncle - him thinking that I'd find something useful for it. He wasn't happy with the rifle he had it on as he could only get it to shoot 1.5 MOA and was convinced it was the barrel.

Any thoughts how to make this a useful project that I could learn from?

frankenfab
04-17-2010, 07:21 PM
You didn't say how long it is, but you could cut the threads off, which would probably shorten it about 3/4". Then you could thread it for any action for which the diameter of the shank was large enough.

The only cartridge I can think of that you could rechamber to as it is would be .300 Weatherby. I don't know for sure that the taper of the cases is compatible for recutting to that caliber, I'd have to check the prints.

TCLouis
04-18-2010, 10:16 AM
The wife's uncle gave it to you to use.
Sometimes use is, "use as is", sometimes as "tradin goods", and sometimes as a "for sale" item to find something useful to you.

If in doubt, ask/tell the uncle and let him alleviate your concerns.

If he is no longer around to ask, then rest assured that he wanted ou to get use out of it, however/whatever form that "use" may be.

StarMetal
04-18-2010, 11:29 AM
This reminds me, kind of, of the one member who had a nice 98 Mauser, but it was Nazi marked and he was repulsed by the thought of it. He wanted to throw it into the river so nobody would ever have that rifle again.

Oh well, I like Louis's reply. Ask him if he's still alive, if he isn't even if you modified it you would still be honoring his request by using it.

Also you mentioned he removed the barrel because it wasn't accurate. I'd have it checkes, that is how is the crown and measure the bore and groove. I'll bet, more then likely, he may have been a little flinchy with a 300 Win Mag. The aren't exactly an easily caliber for most to shoot accurately because of the nasty recoil. I'm not accusing him of that, just saying maybe.

Make it into some 30 caliber you would like better and threaded to a different action so that you can have the bolt face size to accommodate a smaller cartridge rim like 30-06 class size.

4570guy
04-18-2010, 08:45 PM
You guys have answered one of my main questions and that was with regard to rechambering. I didn't consider shortening and rechambering for .30-06. I could always use another '06 -- I only have three:)

Her uncle is still alive - I just wouldn't feel right selling it. I would like to make something of it. The crown looks pristine. I shot the .300 WM when it still had this barrel on it and I thought it shot fine.

TCLouis
04-18-2010, 10:59 PM
I'd have to go look at drawings, but I think you will have to whittle away most of the chamber part of the barrel to do anything with diameter like o6 with it.
I would sure do some measuring before I started cutting back.

StarMetal
04-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Just popped into my head. One of the new short magnums might be chambered to it. Wouldn't have to cut as much off it as for the 06. Another one that could possible work is the old classic 300 H&H magnum.

John Taylor
04-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Most likely the barrel shank is 1" with 16 threads per inch. If it is an original Winchester bull barrel in good shape the rebuilders would be interested in it. The older Winchester bull barrel is 28" long, not sure what a post 64 would be as I don't work on those. There are at least 3 different "target" size barrels for the Winchester that range from 24" to 26". The shank on the older barrels is .740" long so you would not loose much if you cut it off to thread to another action. The 300 Win. mag is not a bad cartridge but I would not want one on a short barreled rifle.