PDA

View Full Version : Primers for BPCR

school of mines
04-17-2010, 10:39 AM
I am about to use up all of my Federal Large Rifle Magnum primers that I use for BPCR. They are the only brand that I have used and wanted to see what everyone else has been using and had success with before I buy some more.

Thanks for the input!

August
04-17-2010, 12:38 PM
I started, like you, with Federal Large Magnum Rifle primers.

Then, after a lot of chronograph time, became convinced that Large pistol primers provided a more gentle and CONSISTENT ignition of black powder.

Then, after more chronograph time, became convinced that using an over primer wad of newsprint in conjunction with pistol primers showed even greater consistency.

So, I now use Rem or Win Large Pistol Primers with an over primer wad and enjoy very consistent and accurate loads.

Ditch the Federal Magnum Rifle Primers, or buy mine 'cause I'm not gonna use 'em.

school of mines
04-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the info August! I have a 100 winchester LPPs that I could try. I was wondering if they would work ok in a trapdoor springfield? Somewhere I thought I read that the trapdoor's firing pin would puncture a LPP? Anyone else heard this or have any input?

1874Sharps
04-17-2010, 05:33 PM
I have read that extended shooting of LPPs can cause peening around the firing pin because of the fact the LLP is not quite as tall as the LRP and therefore pushes forward when struck by the firing pin and then slams back into the block and slowly over time indents the block. A solution to this is to have a gunsmith instal a hardened bushing, but some shooters say it is not a problem for them in the first place.

I have been shooting Win LR primers in my 45-70 with Swiss 1.5 FG and have been getting single digit velocity deviation with no over primer wad, so I am happy with doing things that way.

SharpsShooter
04-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Used Federal 215"s for a long time, but will not buy more. i now use federal 150 large pistol primers.

Large pistol primers provide a more gentle and CONSISTENT ignition of black powder.

...that was my findings as well.
SS

RMulhern
04-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Well.....let's see here....hmmmmm....started out using F210M cause I had a pile of 'em, tried Rem 9 1/2, BR-2, WLR, LPP.....and things ain't a damn bit better than when I started way back there!! I've tried Large Magnum and Wolfs....and the damn things still won't shoot like I want 'em to!!

Any man that takes up this game is an absolute IDIOT!!

montana_charlie
04-17-2010, 07:53 PM
A solution to this is to have a gunsmith instal a hardened bushing, but some shooters say it is not a problem for them in the first place.
Another solution that seems logical is to cookie-cut a piece of stout paper into the pocket when you install the pistol primer. That holds the primer up flush with the case head, and handles the over-primer wad requirement.
CM

herbert buckland
04-17-2010, 08:45 PM
I started, like you, with Federal Large Magnum Rifle primers.

Then, after a lot of chronograph time, became convinced that Large pistol primers provided a more gentle and CONSISTENT ignition of black powder.

Then, after more chronograph time, became convinced that using an over primer wad of newsprint in conjunction with pistol primers showed even greater consistency.

So, I now use Rem or Win Large Pistol Primers with an over primer wad and enjoy very consistent and accurate loads.

Ditch the Federal Magnum Rifle Primers, or buy mine 'cause I'm not gonna use 'em.my results agree compleatly with you ,although i find it hard to get a under pouder wad in the 577-450 cartrige,i youse it in the 56-50 Spencer and it seems to make a difrence,I youse CCI LPP because they are hardest primer i can get and it makes me feel a bit safer with the Spencer tube magizine

04-17-2010, 08:57 PM
I have tried most types. I feel a little uncomfortable with the pistol primer idea so don't do it except in the Hornet. I tried the magnum primer thing. No help. The only loads I use the mag primers in are the big jbullet smokeless boomer loads in 375 HH or larger with 4350 or slower powders. So have settled on the brand that produces the best results for me in all manner of loads both smokeless and black... Remington standard.

Lead Fred
04-17-2010, 09:05 PM
I save all the Federal Match Magnums for my bolt gun

I use CCI Magnums for the 45-70, they light up the holy black right nice

NickSS
04-17-2010, 10:47 PM
I used either Federal or Winchester LRMP for years in my BP loads but then I started reading about people useing LPP and an over primer wad. So I tried it and I found that Accuracy improved some. It is a bit more work to load them but I have been doing it that way for about a year now and my accuracy improvement is noticeable so I will continue with what works.

Tom-ADC
04-17-2010, 11:15 PM
I have a bunch maybe a 1000+ old Federal 210 LRP I've been using these for my 45-70 and they have been working just fine, I just punch holes in paper but so far I'm real happy with the results.
I've read in Spencer Wolfs book where he drills out the primer hole to .096 and uses mag primers but have yet to try this. I have maybe 40 extra Winchester cases I may try this with. Rest of my cases are Starline.

John Boy
04-18-2010, 12:22 AM
They are the only brand that I have used and wanted to see what everyone else has been using and had success with before I buy some more.
To reduce the primer ignition brisance, I use only 2 types of primers ... CCI Br2's and Federal 150Match

CCI BR2's
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Misc/GASCCIBR4SR.jpg

Federal 210M's
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Misc/GASFed210mLR.jpg

Don McDowell
04-18-2010, 12:47 AM
With primer stocks being what they are these days a fella just about has to take what he can find when you run out. Fella can taylor a load around any primer if you take a bit of time with it.
I've gotten excellent results with CCI and WW large rifle primers. CCI large pistol magnum primers and winchester large pistol primers.

herbert buckland
04-18-2010, 01:31 AM
I have a bunch maybe a 1000+ old Federal 210 LRP I've been using these for my 45-70 and they have been working just fine, I just punch holes in paper but so far I'm real happy with the results.
I've read in Spencer Wolfs book where he drills out the primer hole to .096 and uses mag primers but have yet to try this. I have maybe 40 extra Winchester cases I may try this with. Rest of my cases are Starline.Do not drill out the flash hole ,i tryed this and acuracy went to hell,in the same book a couple of pages on he has run into the same problem and goes on to describe primer wads as a way to fix the mistack,it does work but it still will not be as acurate as when not enlarged,i have also found that when i was yousing fedral LRMP acuracy slowly dereiated,i put this down to flash hole enlargment due to a hoter primer but this is only a gess,when i started from scratch with new brass and compared the difrences for acuracy that primers mack there was no dought that pistol primers with a primer wad produced the best acuracy ,if some company would make a low powerd LRP i think it would be perfect for BP,I have never had a problem with LPP cratering breach faces and i have fiared a lot of round but i have heard the warnings an it is always in the back of my mind

Southern Son
04-18-2010, 04:59 AM
I read Venturinos book, as well as all of Matthews books, and started out with the Magnum LR primers because that is what they were recommending. Results were not too bad. Then I read that guys who are winning now are recommending Standard Rifle primers, BR primers and even Pistol primers. So I tried CCI and Federal BR primers and results improved. Then I heard about over primer wads and gave them a go, with even better results. My last session with the Chrony gave me a S.D. of 7fps for 10 rounds.

Having said all that, I am putting together 150 rounds for a competition next weekend and I just realised that the last 50 rounds I made dont have the ovver primer wad. I am feeling just a little more stupid than usual, right now.

herbert buckland
04-18-2010, 05:12 AM
I read Venturinos book, as well as all of Matthews books, and started out with the Magnum LR primers because that is what they were recommending. Results were not too bad. Then I read that guys who are winning now are recommending Standard Rifle primers, BR primers and even Pistol primers. So I tried CCI and Federal BR primers and results improved. Then I heard about over primer wads and gave them a go, with even better results. My last session with the Chrony gave me a S.D. of 7fps for 10 rounds.

Having said all that, I am putting together 150 rounds for a competition next weekend and I just realised that the last 50 rounds I made dont have the ovver primer wad. I am feeling just a little more stupid than usual, right now.At least didnt mix them up ,I loaded 100 577-450s up 1/2 primer wad 1/2 no primer wad then went and had a big backed diner came back and roled the lot into a bucket,thats wen you feel stupid

StrawHat
04-18-2010, 05:58 AM
Well.....let's see here....hmmmmm....Any man that takes up this game is an absolute IDIOT!!

Or quickly becomes one!

nicholst55
04-18-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm confused about the over primer wads - do they go in the flash hole ahead of the primer, or in the bottom of the case, ahead of the powder?

John Boy
04-18-2010, 08:14 PM
...over primer wads - do they go in the flash hole ahead of the primer, or in the bottom of the case, ahead of the powder?
Either way, the choice is yours

04-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Under powder or under primer?....either way. Some using the shorter pistol primers in rifle brass put a wad under the primer. I guess it makes up for the shorter primer height while taming down the primer brisance. Most use a larger diameter wad that goes in the case first with the powder on top. Usually newsprint paper or something similar. I've tried a paper wad under the powder to tame primer brisance and try to make for more consistent BPCR loads. I couldn't tell any difference- some successful BPCR shooters swear by it.

Interesting contrasts of BPCR load theory!- one camp says use a mag primer for blackpowder and the other camp says use a standard primer and further tame it by adding the wad or use a pistol primer.

nicholst55
04-19-2010, 08:33 AM
Interesting, and something I never would have thought of!

Dollar Bill
04-26-2010, 11:36 AM
To reduce the primer ignition brisance, I use only 2 types of primers ... CCI Br2's and Federal 150Match

I've done the same thing, CCI BR2s. It's definitely helped. Reduced group size, especially vertical dispersion.