PDA

View Full Version : In another era

GP100man
04-17-2010, 09:10 AM
:|

As time marches on sometimes we run across things that trigger memories !!

I`m next door to 50 now & thinkin of quitin makin bad examples & start givin good advise !!:bigsmyl2:

I picked up this from somewhere , funny I can`t remember where but do remember department stores sellin firearms & ammo even if I was still poopin green!!![smilie=s:

Maybe it`ll shake loose some more files !!!

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/102_0277.jpg

:cbpour:

Muddy Creek Sam
04-17-2010, 09:24 AM
I got one of those old Sears Shotguns, Think you can find some shells to go with it?

Sam :D

Trey45
04-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Remember going to Western Auto and being able to buy a rifle? Revelation I beleive they were called. I bet I bought a metric ton of 22 ammo from the western auto as a kid. No ID required, just money. It was a different world.

Beekeeper
04-17-2010, 09:48 AM
GP100man,
I have one of the Sears Heritage Rifles in 30/06.
Wife bought it for me back in the 60's
Has had a total of 6 rounds down the barrel.
Has the look of a Mauser action and a saeco barrel but have never been able to find any info on who actually made them.

Jim

Randall
04-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Even being underage during the "sign for all ammo days" I could buy .22 ammo at the only store in town which was more like a general store in a farm/ranch area. squirrels and rabbits were common table fare,and we had to shoot all coyotes on sight or anything hanging around the chicken house.

GP100man
04-17-2010, 10:27 AM
I lve out on a farm & when we went to town it was a given to go by the local hardware store & I remember the clerk would sell me 1 50rnd box of 22s no questions !!

The only thing next to a supplier is : Sold by Sears , Roebuck Co. & a LOT # on one of the flaps ????

My uncle had 2 sears automatic 22 rifles they`d shoot lr , l & shorts.

jlchucker
04-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Remember going to Western Auto and being able to buy a rifle? Revelation I beleive they were called. I bet I bought a metric ton of 22 ammo from the western auto as a kid. No ID required, just money. It was a different world.

I remember the Western Auto stores, too. Revelation was their store-brand shells. I think they marketed some guns under that name as well, but don't remember for sure--maybe single-barrel shotguns or 22's. They also sold a big selection of auto parts, and kid's bicycles. Then they suddenly disappeared from Main Street USA. I wonder if there are any Western Auto stores left out there?

DLCTEX
04-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Western Auto was bought out by White's Auto. I bought 22 ammo from the grocery store when I was 10. After buying them for months the clerk asked if it was OK with my parents and accepted my word that it was OK.

Guesser
04-17-2010, 10:50 AM
In that same era, I rode a horse to school with a 22 rifle in the saddle scabbard and stabled the horse in the stalls provided at the school. I paid $0.70 for a 50 rd. box of Western Super X 22 Longs. Dad would not let me pay the extra 8 cents for Long Rifle solids or the extra 18 cents for Long Rifle hollow points. I ordered a rifle from Rears & Sorebuts in 1956 and it was delivered by Railway Express and we had to go to the station to pick it up.(1956). The train only ran up the valley twice a week and the station was only open for about 2 hours each day the train ran and it was 12 miles to town. I was 11 years old in 1956.

chaos
04-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Western Auto carried a pile of guns marketed as revelation. A friend of mine collects them. Pump scatterguns were mossberg 500's. I think the revelation 30-30's are marlin 336's. Etc.

I am only 36 years old, a relative youngster on this board.

When I was a kid, Dad used to send me into the store to purchase his cigarettes and chewing tobacco for him. I remember riding my bike to the store on several occasions while he was out plowing.

A friend of mine, couldn't have been any older than 12, won the tobacco spitting contest at the Sweetwater rattlesnake round up. His prize was a case of Redman chewing tobacco. We all got sicker than dogs that afternoon.....

In grade school, I would ride my honda 50 down the back county roads and shoot cottontails and squirrrels with my 410. My grandfather had made me a scabbard out of rope and the leg of an old pair of jeans. I was only stopped by law enforcement ONE time. The nice deputy asked what I was doing. He thought my motorcycle had broke down. I was trying to flush a rabbit out from under a cattleguard on a county road. The man actually got out and helped me get the rabbit, told me to be careful and have a good day. Granny sure could cook some rabbit and squirrel.

I hunted on folks land for FREE all over the place. All it took was asking a man for permission and a handshake during my highschool years.

It sure is a different world now days! And it SURE AINT GETTING ANY BETTER. Pretty sad if you think about it.

Matt_G
04-17-2010, 11:00 AM

Indeed, it was a much better world back then. So much has changed and most of it has been a change for the worse.
When I was a kid, my friends and I used to take off on our bikes early in the morning during summer vacation and not be back home until supper time. Hell, we would ride all over the place, miles away from home. No one worried about us.
Now I see the kids in the neighborhood riding their bikes and they can't leave the block. If their parents come outside and can't see them, they freak out. :holysheep
It's sad as hell. :(

gnoahhh
04-17-2010, 11:10 AM
I too look back on those simpler times with nostalgia. Heck I used to take my .22 target rifle to school on the school bus so I could practice with the team. But realistically would you really want to go back? Look at all of the guns and gear we have now that didn't even exist back then. What would you rather be driving, that new Ford pickup or a '63 Falcon? And biggest of all, we wouldn't have the internet to wax nostalgic on!

chaos
04-17-2010, 11:19 AM
I too look back on those simpler times with nostalgia. Heck I used to take my .22 target rifle to school on the school bus so I could practice with the team. But realistically would you really want to go back? Look at all of the guns and gear we have now that didn't even exist back then. What would you rather be driving, that new Ford pickup or a '63 Falcon? And biggest of all, we wouldn't have the internet to wax nostalgic on!

Ummm,
Hell yes I'd go back in a heart beat. I wish my kids would have the opportunity to grow up in such conditons.

A fist fight in school back then would get a phone call to the parents. Now days, charges are actually filed along with a pile of more assorted BS.

I've got a crew cab diesel Ford that is fairly new. I'd trade it even across for that Falcon and the times and COMMON SENSE of yesteryear.

Take me back when folks were PROUD to buy American.

A loss of common sense and CHEAP CHINESE JUNK has settled us in ruins.

Heck a man can't hardly even buy a quality made in America pair of boots anymore.

I can remember my grandfather being ticked off at his 1986 F-150 as some of the bolts on that model weren't standard.

Lee
04-17-2010, 01:49 PM
I've a Sears .22LR bolt action.
I've a Sears .22Mag bolt action.
I've a Sears 20ga double.

Life with Sears was good back then.

Until of course, the liberals, pols, thugs, gangstas and rappers started educating us all in the PC way of life.

Sigh[smilie=b:

Echo
04-17-2010, 02:13 PM
My 30-06 hunting rifle (that hasn't been out hunting for MANY years) is a JC Higgins. Mauser action, and I believe it was made by High-Standard. Good gun, especially with 46 grs of 4895 under a Hornady 165 gr Spire Point (that they don't make any more!).

And Man, do I remember the Western Auto Stores...

RayinNH
04-17-2010, 02:16 PM
J.C.Higgins was the Sears name, I have one of their .22's. Montgomery Ward also carried their line of firearms and ammo, I don't remember the name.

As a kid the Fire dept. had what they termed a lawn party. They had various games of chance as a way to raise funds. One of my favorites was to knock a pack of cigarettes off of a shelf with a cork firing Daisy rifle. Your prize was the pack of cigarettes. I was maybe 6-10 at the time. I looked forward to it every year. The lawn party went on for a week, every evening from 5-11.

There was a mom & pop store across the street when I was a kid. Many times my father sent me for cigarettes, as long as you were tall enough to put the money on the counter they sold them to you...Ray

Trey45
04-17-2010, 02:47 PM
My dad used to send me to the corner store for smokes too, they had a machine, I forget how much it was, but every pack had 2 pennys taped to it for your change!

Bad Water Bill
04-17-2010, 03:19 PM
D*&@ now I am feeling OLD. Sold gas At Va Beach Va .13 (a gas war). Owned and drove a 1929 Ford Town Sedan. Top speed 70+ and 20+ MPG.

Sears stuff 2 or 3 K 22 LR in storage along with some 12 ga shells. Still have a 12 ga pump and a 9 shot 22 pistol+lots of gun oil. I don't know how many of those Mauser 30-06s or Win Centennials I bought. Guess where I worked?

In the summer we turned down the gas street lights to play hide and seek then turned them up again to shoot marbles or play mumbli peg. I rode my bike all over with my Red Ryder across the handlebars. And ALL of this while living in the city of -----CHICAGO.

steg
04-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Had a JC Higgens pump 12 Ga, Looked like a model 12 somewhat, I liked it better than my dad's model 12, trying to be a nice guy I loaned it to a kid to hunt wiith one season and he used it as a downpayment on a car, I couldn't do a damn thing about it he was 16 years old at the time, never found one to replace it.

Back when I was a kid we used to buy 22 shorts for 55 cents a box, now I think they cost more than the long riflesm My Uncle used to shoot deer in his field< when the freezer was getting low, using 22 shorts, one shot dropped it in it's tracks every time. I asked him one time why he didn't use long rifles, he looked at me and said "dont need em".............steg

sleeper1428
04-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Yes, those certainly were the days! When I was in High School - circa early 1950s - my woodshop project was fitting and finishing a custom stock for my Rem 721 in 270 cal which meant that I often took it home to show the folks what I was doing. And when it was done , it always spent hunting season in the back seat of my car where I could get it easily when we tore out at the last bell to get in a few hours of hunting before the sun went down. Can you imagine that happening nowadays! I'd have spent my entire High School years in the slams if they'd have had present day rules!! And while I lost that rifle many years ago - to my first wife - I still have my old Stevens 12 g pump shotgun which brought down quite a number of ducks and geese in its day. I loaned it to my brother a few years back and he decided to store it in his damp basement so now it has a lot of fine pitting in the bore and on the exterior surface but it still shoots pretty good.

And as others have mentioned, I sure feel sorry for kids nowadays as far as many of the freedoms they've lost when it comes to growing up. We left home in the morning riding our bikes and provided we got home in time for supper no one ever spent a minute worrying about where we were or what we were doing. Or at least they never let on that they did any worrying. I know that my son never lets his three young kids out of his sight, even if they are just playing in the backyard or out in front of the house. That's really a sad commentary on our present day society, isn't it. Well, I hope everyone is in agreement as to why we're in this situation, specifically, that Liberalism, beginning with Lyndon Johnson's 'Great Society', has in essence given everyone carte blanche to do 'whatever feels good' and has removed personal responsibility for any and all misdeeds, placing the blame for virtually all crime at society's doorstep. I really do hold little hope for this great nation surviving with the likes of the Obamination being elected to high office.

sleeper1428

Jim
04-17-2010, 06:36 PM
I've got an empty Sears & Roebuck .30-06 case on my shelf in the shop.

oldhickory
04-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Wow, around here when I was young we had "Joe, The Motorists Friend". They had just about everything non-edible! Tires, auto parts, hardware, toys, lawn mowers, sporting goods, and a whole wall of rifles and shotguns! The place was a kids paradise!..But things got even better when a store named, "Town & Country" came to town. They had even more guns!..AND Mausers! Hundreds and hundreds of Mausers and other mil-surps! 1909 Argentine Mausers by the case, and all in new condition! I'm sorry I only bought one, and a few others like a Belgian made commercial modle in .30/06, and an FN 49 sniper in .30/06 also, all for much less than you would pay for a used sporter now.

The thing I want most is a time machine!

Calamity Jake
04-17-2010, 06:52 PM
I,ve got one empty Sears 30-30 case in my old stuff collection.

The Revelation 22 sold by Wesrern Auto was Marlin made as was there 30-30.

nascarkent
04-17-2010, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE=RayinNH;872242]J.C.Higgins was the Sears name, I have one of their .22's. Montgomery Ward also carried their line of firearms and ammo, I don't remember the name.

Wards line of firearms were called Westernfield

44fanatic
04-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Parker 30-06 that came from JCPenneys. Dad bought it in the 70's after moving to Montana then passed it to me once I hit huntin age. I need to look at the shotgun, I think that came from JCP's also.

My first 22 was purchased at ACE hardware when I was 10. Yep, Dad signed Donald Duck on the sale sheet.

imashooter2
04-17-2010, 08:18 PM
I've got a nice fresh box of Ted Williams signature '06 down the basement.

Gee_Wizz01
04-17-2010, 09:19 PM
My Dad had a JC Higgins 12 Ga that always jammed so he traded it for a brand new Wingmaster the first year they came out. He also had Win 94 that I believe was marked JC Higgins, which he traded in at the local hardware store for a a brand new Win Model 70 Featherweight in .308 Win, the first year they came out. I bought my first .22 a Belgian Browning .22 Auto, when I was 16, at Oshmans, for $79.00. Marlin 39's were $59.00. My cousin and I used to walk down to Western Auto and buy .22 shorts for 49 cents. Would I go back? Probably, but it sure is nice having Air Conditioning and modern medicine. I probably wouldn't be living if I had to depend on 1950's medical care, at least I wouldn't be getting around like I do now. We had a 1962 Falcon station wagon and it was a decent car. We used to get that Sears ammo when it was on sale, and I was told by the salesman that it was made by Federal. It was certainly fun growing up in that time period, and I would love for my children and grandchildren to know what it was like.

G

223tenx
04-17-2010, 10:04 PM
There was a boy killed last week in the schoolyard of the gradeschool I attended. He was an innocent bystander to an arguement between two gradeschoolers and a sixteen year old boy pulled out a pistol and either shot it or it went off and killed the boy standing close by. The 16 yo had stolen the pistol and tried to hold up a couple as they left a local pharmacy and then a fellow sitting in the pharmacy parking lot who chased him away. This is in a reidential neighborhood in Charleston, WV. A town of about 60,000. I can remember wearing my Cubscout uniform to that school with my CS knife clipped to my belt. This just makes me sick. The "boy" should be hung by his gonads, if he has any, and the parents of the victim should be allowed to take turns at him with a baseball bat. It was such a peaceful and beautiful neighborhood. Talk about times changing.

lylejb
04-17-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm only 40, so this wasn't THAT long ago, but I remember as a kid going straight to the guns every time I got into a Sears / Wards / JCP's . Sad to see that go. Still have a Sears shotgun cleaning kit at My dad's house.

My dad says when he was a kid ( great depression ) buying wards 22 shorts for 11 cents a box. Shorts were cheeper than long / LR, and wards was a penny cheeper than the others.
" ....and 11 cents was damn hard to come by"

wistlepig1
04-17-2010, 10:17 PM

1962 Falcon Futura, 4 speed, red bucket seats, black with white Vinyl top and a Hot girl--tell me that wasn't the days.[smilie=w:

robertbank
04-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Bought my first .22 from Simpson-Sears. $22.00 and two boxes of shells 30 cents. All I had was a note from my mom. Road home with the gun across my handlebars.

Today they would have the SWAT team out, Social Services would be called in who knows what else. Times hvae changed!

Take Care

Bob

hammerhead357
04-17-2010, 11:50 PM
I purchased a Revelation 22 semi-auto rifle from Western Auto when I was 14. About 1966 or so and no one had to sign for it but I did later find out that the clerk had ask my Mother if it was all right. I do still have it. My 14 year old son likes it and shoots it sometimes.

I used to get all of the 22 ammo I wanted from my parents store. They allowed me 100 rounds a week and then I had to purchase the rest at about 55 cents per 50 rounds IIRC.

We ran a little country store and gas station. Sold lots of groceries, gas, beer and sodas. Many of the local kids could come in and buy cigs. for their parents and some were allowed to buy beer for them and take it to them. Most of the customers ran a tab and paid it 2 times each year. I remember that at times my parents would have 80 plus thousand out on credit but only got stung a very few times.

It was an age of innocense (sp) that will never be seen again and is really missed....Wes

WILCO
04-18-2010, 05:58 AM
The thing I want most is a time machine!

+1 for that!

Pressman
04-19-2010, 09:21 AM
I have the Sears and Roebuck press and dies to reload those 30-06 Sears cases.
Ken

johnlaw484
04-19-2010, 09:44 AM

I'll take the 63 Falcon (I actually had one when I was in the Navy). Great car and you could work on it yourself. It got 23 MPG.
I've got a newer Explorer, and I haven't an idea on how to work on it other than changing the oil. It gets 19 MPG. Going back wards. SO much for the modern technology.

AZ-Stew
04-19-2010, 09:30 PM
...Well, I hope everyone is in agreement as to why we're in this situation, specifically, that Liberalism, beginning with Lyndon Johnson's 'Great Society', has in essence given everyone carte blanche to do 'whatever feels good' and has removed personal responsibility for any and all misdeeds, placing the blame for virtually all crime at society's doorstep.

I'll take this one a step farther back.

I believe it started when Madeline Murry O'Hare (the avowed atheist) sued successfully up to the Supreme Court to have prayer removed from schools. Morality used to be a part of education. Discipline within the school system has been on a long downward slide ever since. Teachers can't control their classrooms any longer. The inmates now run the asylum.

That said, I didn't get my first .22 from Sears, Monkey Wards or Western Auto. My dad drove me from our home town in NE Indiana to Indianapolis where there was a sporting goods store that sold at discount (a term with no meaning in our town), and I paid $55 for a Remington 511X, a brick of WW Super X LRs and an Outers cleaning kit. I earned the $$ bagging groceries during the summer. When the brick ran out I bought shorts and LRs at the local Sears for 65 and 85 cents a box, respectively. This was in '66 (as I said, the term "discount" had no meaning in our town). There was only one other place in town I knew of where I could get .22s, and they were more expensive.

I remember seeing Ted Williams rifles and shotguns in the Sears store and in their catalogs. I never figured out why a baseball player had his name on a firearm (and lots of other outdoor goods).

Regards,

Stew

DLCTEX
04-19-2010, 11:22 PM
In the news today a school in Central Texas (Temple) has reinstated corporal punishment due to kids being out of control. This was done at the request of a large majority of parents. Discipline problems are much reduced. Back to another era! Wow, it works. Who'da thought it? It's even scripture based.

Mumblypeg
04-19-2010, 11:28 PM
When I was young I remember my grandparents talking about when they were young, the old days... I've waited all my life for this. Seemed like yesterday.