PDA

View Full Version : Homemade "Glazer" projectiles

sheepdog
04-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Been thinking about making a boolit of epoxy or hot glue say in .429 with birdshot or buck & bird shot suspended in it for my own "glazer" type rounds.

Anyone tried it?

Doc_Stihl
04-16-2010, 01:20 PM
oohhh...I haven't tried it, but ask me again on Monday and I bet I won't answer the same.

Hot glue would seem to be a good medium. Fill the mold with shot(I think warm shot would help) and pack it with hot glue. I have a homeade HP 45 255rnfp that I'll try with. I'll play with some different shot sizes. 45/410 Encore pistol barrel should make a good test candidate.

sheepdog
04-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Yeah i think with a gas check you could hot load these up for nice defensive or small game loads.

The epoxy would work better i think but more trouble.

Doc_Stihl
04-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Filled with lead, gas checked and lubed like a regular boolit, I wonder how fast Hot Glue can be driven, that's gonna be the test.

I wonder if some BP lube on the hot glue would keep it from making a mess.

sheepdog
04-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Me thinks you're on to something there Doc. If you try it out let us know what you find out.

Doc_Stihl
04-16-2010, 03:56 PM
For sure.

I wonder if there might be some type of latex or "something" that the cavity could be painted with to keep the shot/hot glue protected. Something you could paint on, fill the cavity with shot, close up the sprue, fill and then dump? High Temp Silicone or something to skin it.

dubber123
04-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Freedom475 here on the forum has used fired .45 acp cases filled with shot/glue in his .475 Linebaugh. So convenient of them to make .45 cases the right diameter...

Doc_Stihl
04-16-2010, 04:35 PM
That seems like a perfectly good reason to go buy a .475 linebaugh....

I'll have to check to see what i can find that will work for calibers I have now. I think .223 brass is a close fit to .375 if I remember correctly.

Blammer
04-16-2010, 04:52 PM
I think if you spray the mould with pam, fill the cavity with shot, then pump the hot glue into it, you may have something.

I think the best way would be if you have a bullet swager, fill the cup with shot then "form" it with the swager.

I think the graphite will keep the shot from sticking together and you'll have prefragmented round encased in a brass case.

Just thinking, don't know how practical it really would be.

sheepdog
04-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Freedom475 here on the forum has used fired .45 acp cases filled with shot/glue in his .475 Linebaugh. So convenient of them to make .45 cases the right diameter...

Ouch, that sounds nasty.

rhead
04-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Try melting the lead out of a JHP bullet and refill with shot and hot glue. Heat the new bullet in the oven to get good glue distribution.

quasi
04-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Try melting the lead out of a JHP bullet and refill with shot and hot glue. Heat the new bullet in the oven to get good glue distribution.

I read an article on how Glazers were made. The above is basically how they were made, except they used 5 minute epoxy.

longbow
04-16-2010, 11:58 PM
+1 for rhead and quasi's directions. I read the same article many years ago. I may still have it. I remember small shot and epoxy in a jacket. They were light bullet at high velocity.

I am thinking glue/epoxy alone without a jacket would not work too well and may muck up the barrel.

Wouldn't hurt to try it though, if it works, great and if not you may have some cleaning to do but nothing too serious.

quasi
04-17-2010, 12:07 AM
my local P.D. used Glasers in their S+W .38's in the 70's and early 80's. They were happy with them until a few failed on heavily dressed winter crooks. They have .40 Glocks now, like most every other P.D. in Canada other than the RCMP. (S+W 9mm semi auto's)

Tony65x55
04-18-2010, 11:29 PM
I made some many years ago for my .45 Auto. I took a HDY 200 gr HP and sat it on the element of my kitchen stove until the lead melted. I dumped it out and repeated. When I had some jackets I filled them with #12 lead shot and put them back on the element on low (so the shot would get warm, not melt.) Then I filled up what airspace there was with melted candle wax.

They weighed about 120 grains and I could drive them over 1400 fps with Unique. They obliterated water jugs at 25 yards. Accuracy was casual, about eight inches at 25 yards but did they ever explode those jugs. They did not penetrate the jug all the way through. You would have a .45 hole in one side and what was left of the back was dented with all these little dents. Lots of fun.

Spector
04-19-2010, 09:29 AM
Back in the late 90's I bought some 300 grain 45 Caliber XTP's. I melted the lead out of the jackets and replaced the lead with 5 minute epoxy. If I remember correctly they weighed 61 grains and I drove them to over 1900 fps out of my Glock 21. I started with W-231. I recall I bought some Clays too, but don't remember now if I used Clays or W-231 to finally go over 1900 fps. I do remember using compressed loads of W-231 in Federal cases. I used a wolf 24 pound recoil spring and one of their guide rods.

I was trying to come close to another commercial load.......MagSafe. It was their SWAT load. It weighed 66 grains and I got a little over 2100 fps out of my Glock 21 using that load. It sure ripped and flattened 3 liter plastic pop bottles full of water. I was not happy with the accuracy of the commerical load or my home-made knock-off.

I never thought of trying hot glue.....which is sort of surprising to me now because my wife was a floral arranger and kept a a lot of hot glue around for silk flower work.......Mike

Larry Gibson
04-21-2010, 11:58 PM
I use the same technique as tony65x55 except I use fast drying epoxy instead of wax. I holds without fail in all temps, under heavy recoil and when hitting feed ramps in semi-autos. I've made them for .380, .9mm, .38/.357, .41, .44 and .45 ACP. I use Bullseye and velocityies are truely impressive as are the terminal ballistics.

Larry Gibson

grumman581
04-22-2010, 12:29 AM
How about using spent primers in them... It's not like we don't have a good supply of them around, right?

bart55
04-25-2010, 11:04 AM
I have not tried making them but shot a groundhog in my garden about ten years ago with a glasser out of a 38sp derringer, IT just about cut him in half . Pure luck shot and I had a buddy and his son at my barn picking up hay when it happened .He wanted to know what kind of lazer or pocket nuclear device I had .They were blown away (figuritively ) as was I at the destruction .

MakeMineA10mm
08-29-2010, 06:46 PM
I made some many years ago for my .45 Auto. I took a HDY 200 gr HP and sat it on the element of my kitchen stove until the lead melted. I dumped it out and repeated. When I had some jackets I filled them with #12 lead shot and put them back on the element on low (so the shot would get warm, not melt.) Then I filled up what airspace there was with melted candle wax.

They weighed about 120 grains and I could drive them over 1400 fps with Unique. They obliterated water jugs at 25 yards. Accuracy was casual, about eight inches at 25 yards but did they ever explode those jugs. They did not penetrate the jug all the way through. You would have a .45 hole in one side and what was left of the back was dented with all these little dents. Lots of fun.

This is exactly what I did 25 years ago, except I used 45 Colt 250gr JHPs, as the jackets were longer, and I figured I'd need that extra space to bring them up to a reasonable weight. IIRC, mine weighed about 160grs, and I also used a 38-cal gas-check inverted over the nose with some epoxy to hold it on. The bullet looked like an FMJ-RNFP, but it expanded just like what Tony describes. Accuracy was about the same too. I loaded a max load of Unique in the 45ACP, and they cycled my old 1911 fine.

I then switched to trying some in 357s. Used 200gr 35 Remington JSPs as the source for the jackets, but all the results/effects were the same.

Shiloh
08-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Saw some 9mm made with a C-H swage press. Shot swaged in a bullet jacket.
Only saw the results fired into a range berm. The copper shot capsules, when found, were empty.

Ballistic gelatin would be the best way to tell.

Shiloh

hoosierlogger
08-29-2010, 08:39 PM
It might be a plausible idea to use rock salt in place of the lead shot to prevent the return of pesky nuisance critters that wonder in the yard from the woods.

indymadcaster
09-01-2010, 10:51 PM
i did it and used 180 gr 357 jackets filled with the jagged cuttings from a brake lathe OMG they weighed 130 grs and devastating is not even close we also used 300gr 44cal jackets too we had access to 60 lb soft blocks of clay the 357 would blow a 12-14 in dia wound!!! and the 44's were @ 210 gr and there was no 60 lb clay block after

Grapeshot
09-02-2010, 02:33 PM
You might want to check out the swaging board on this forum.

We've used #12 shot stuck in a jacket and run into a core seating die. Then add a nylon ball like you get at a craft shop and push it in a point forming die and you have an instant Glazer.

freedom475
09-05-2010, 12:36 AM
I shot a few hundred of my homemade ones though my 475...They are awsome at blowing water jugs up..lol

A spent 45ACP case with a reall heavy crimp, and then filled with #9 shot and capped off with hot glue.. I have forgotten all the data I had but as I recall the little slug only weighed 240gr.s and I could break 2000fps out of the 6" FA with a fat dose of LilGun!:holysheep (although I decieded this was quite unnessassary and maybe a little ?? ya know) I think I slowed them down to around 12 or 1500.

This round would not penitrate through a milk jug full of water and I found the expanded bases of lots of the 45acp cases in the jug (or near it) The rounds still shot well at 100yrds, but they did hit very low because of there light weight..( my 475 is sighted for 430's)

Only thing I ever shot with them was a rabbit and all that fell back to the ground was its head with no stings atached (still in perfect condition) everything else was gone!!

I think these will also work in a 44mag if you use 10mm's or 40s&W's..but I have never tried it.

dnepr
09-06-2010, 02:17 PM
made some with some .429 300 gr seirra's years ago , the cannelure was in the wrong spot for my .444 . I melted the lead out and filled them with #4 birdshot with a silicone plug at the meplat. they wieghed about 170 and I loaded them up in the .444 with a starting load of imr 4198 for 240 gr bullets , shot a stack of 4L ( 1 gallon) jugs with one pushed the stack back 4" ( 6 jugs if memory serves) penetrated to the second jug , vaporized the first jug with enough hydralic shock to send the cap 30 feet in the air , I never tested them for velocity of accuracy but no lack of terminal performance:shock: