PDA

View Full Version : 38 Spl Wadcutter load

Evil Dog
04-15-2010, 10:55 PM
I've been using the standard ol' 38 Spl target load of the Lyman 358091 148gr bevel base wadcutter with 2.8gr Bullseye for about as long as I can remember. Just wondering if there is another load combination using that bullet that has proven to be generally more accurate?

David2011
04-16-2010, 01:40 AM
Evil,

That's close to the first volume handload I ever did. I shot thousands of wadcutters pushed by 2.3 grains of Bullseye. My shooting buddy and I got to where we shot at the numbers on the targets with the incredibly accurate wadcutters. I've moved on to autoloaders for competition but cherish every wheelgun in my small collection. I'm fortunate enough to have a 6" Electroless Nickel Colt Trooper Mk III that I bought new in 1982, a 6" S&W Model 19 that's never been in a holster, a S&W PPC gun built by Jack Coggin in Houston on a model 10 frame, a S&W Model 15 former Air Force security pistol that I resurrected from a rusting heap and a 5 shot Charter Arms that will all digest the .38 wadcutters. There's also about 7 gallons of brass in buckets to feed them. I love shooting my .38/.357 revolvers! Powder puff loads are too much fun to mess with body pounding heavy loads.

David

Wayne Dobbs
04-16-2010, 10:30 AM
IIRC, Charles Petty did a test years ago (published in American Handgunner, I believe) in which he tested the 2.8 BE load along with 3.1 231 and Federal Match wadcutter factory loads. The Federal loads were consistently the best with the BE load second and the 231 load third. All three were excellent loads though so it's likely more a function of the shooter and specific revolver and maybe the phase of the moon.

I've always liked 231 over BE, but that BE load is a classic for a reason.

felix
04-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Wayne, those Federal match loads were really special. I do not know if they are still put together the same way, but, anyhow, each lot must be treated as a "new" load. A representative and I had lunch at a manufacturing meeting 10 years or more ago and we discussed many aspects of ammo being produced at his plant. He insisted that only certain lots of materials were selected for their match loads via exquisite testing. He also implied, not emphatically however, that stuff did not have to be manufactured by them to pass inspection for this ammo. We were talking about 38s and 22s for the most part. So, the moral of the story is you have to select ammo by what you can do with it. ... felix

Dale53
04-16-2010, 11:30 AM
I cast H&G #251 dbl ended wadcutters for my various .38's and .357's. I have done quite a bit of Ransom Rest testing of various model .38/.357's. One of the best forum reports I have read is Ed Harris' comments on the solid wadcutter (Ed is a former NRA Staffer and Development Engineer for Ruger) in these comments:

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/view_topic.php?id=1383&forum_id=4

I follow his recipe of 3.5 grs of Bullseye behind the #251 W/C. I seat the bullet with the first band out of the case and taper crimp on the rear of the first band. I load sprue up (a bit ugly but insures a PERFECT base). These loads shoot extremely well. Solid base wadcutters require a bit heavier powder charge for good accuracy compared to Hollow base wadcutters.

This was shot standing at 25 yards, slow fire:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/img032.jpg

Dale53

bart55
04-25-2010, 11:13 AM
I use the lee 148tl with ww alloy and 2.8 bullseye ,have shot many thousands out of a variey of 38 's with my favorite being a colt python 6in bbl .have won many a match with that load . But I also agree that the match load ( had a case of it at one point) was probably the best thing the python ever ate .

Windy City Kid
04-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Here is a .38spl WC load I have been very happy with, it's very clean burning, very low smoke and excellent accuracy. My S&W model 14 will shoot quarter size groups @ 25 yards all day with this load. I think it is little more accurate than the 2.8gr. Bullseye load, a lot cleaner and a lot less smoke.

This is my PPC indoor range load for 25 yards.

Lyman # 35891 mold. (150gr. WC) Sized to .3585".
Lubed with Carnauba Red only in the bottom lube groove.
2.5gr. of WST.
Very light roll crimp in the crimp groove.

Shiloh
04-25-2010, 09:40 PM
I have shot up pounds of Bullseye with LEE 148 gr. TLWC and a Lyman .35891. Commercial cast before that.

Very accurate, very economical.

Shiloh