PDA

View Full Version : Hitch Your Wagon to a Starr

1874Sharps
04-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Gentlemen,

I thought I would write up my recent experiences with a Model 1863 Starr cap and ball revolver and the boolits cast up from an original mold from Starr for this revolver.

The stars must all have recently aligned, as I found an original Starr Model 1863 boolit mold in good condition and simultaneously the extra coin to buy it. It is an interesting little mold with a blind hole cavity that casts a boolit that looks a bit like a rimfire cartridge. The boolit, when cast from pure lead, comes out as 0.458" at the ring on the base, 0.438" just above the base and is 0.735" tall. If the boolit is stuck into the muzzle of the barrel it goes all the way to the rim easily and can even be shaken from side to side a little, so it must "slug up" a long way when fired to grab the rifling and shoot accurately.

The Starr revolver was the third most popular pistol of the Civil War, with the Colt and Remington at the top. In my opinion it was the best design for several reasons. One, it had a hinged front on its frame that allowed a soldier to easily swap out a spent cyclinder and replace it with a loaded cylinder by unscrewing the knurled pin on the top rear side of the frame and tilting the barrel down. Two, it had no base pin, but rather had a pivot at the front and a ring type bearing surface at the rear near the ratchet, so that fouling could not bind the cylinder. Three, the rear of the cylinder has generous clearance between the nipples and the recoil shield so that the spent caps drop away and do not bind the action.

The range test gave some unexpected results. The revolver was charged with 24 grains of FFFG, topped with a leather wad saturated with lube, followed by the boolit. I have found these home made leather wads work quite well in my repro 1860 Colt in the place of more expensive Wonder Wads. I had such confidence that they would work well in the Starr that I did not bring any loose lube to place over the boolit as is done when not using wads. That turned out to be a mistake. The barrel quickly fouled and accuracy went out the window.

The next day I tried it again and used the same charge of 24 grains of FFFG (this load brings the level of powder in the chamber to just the right height so that the boolit slightly compresses it) and no wad. Instead I used BP lube over the end of the boolit. Accuracy proved to be good, but not quite as good compared to a patched 0,457" round ball (see last photo). Before getting this mold I found that a nitrated paper cartridge (using thin watchmaker's paper) with a 26 grain charge of FFFG glued to the round ball with lube over the end of the ball gave superb accuracy. Besides, biting off the twisted end of the paper cartridge and spitting it out and pouring the powder charge into the chamber during cowboy action shooting matches just looks plain cool.

Now here is the question I pose: Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to make the Starr boolits shoot even better?

DwarvenChef
04-16-2010, 03:56 AM
Hell just shooting an origenal starr would be good enough for me :P

missionary5155
04-16-2010, 06:35 AM
Good morning
Very nice rightup ! I need to take some leasons here.
Well I hope I do not start a stampede but at the web plces there are some descent deals on Stars... mostly the double action models that seem to slip through and are right affordable.

1874Sharps
04-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Missionary5155,

Wahoo, can you refer me to a website or two? Thanks,

Joel

Coffeecup
05-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Now here is the question I pose: Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to make the Starr boolits shoot even better?

Years ago, I was looking for an original revolver for some matches I wanted to shoot. A friend loaned me a Starr, I got about the same results you did. You might try swaging the slug so you have a wider base band. I saw some (limited) improvement with the baseband about 1/8" wide

If that doesn't work, maybe take some soft swedged lead bullets for the 45 acp and bump them up to .457". Not that I'd ever do that . . . always meant to try some of the old-style cupped-base bullets for the 45 LC.

oldhickory
05-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Now ya got me wanti'n one.

Southern Son
05-07-2010, 02:10 AM
Joel,
Have you had any more luck with this? I am looking for a cap and ball revolver (I won't be able to get an original), and have been reading around for tips. I do like the idea of the paper cartridge, I have used them for a muzzle loading rifle, but would not have thought of it for a revolver.