PDA

View Full Version : If I get a lube/sizer... whats my costs?

sheepdog
04-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Right now I pan lube old fashion lube rings, alox tumble lube. Sizer with Lees.

Now starting to consider a lubesizer type situation. What am I looking at on cost and whats best bang for the buck?

04-15-2010, 02:18 PM
I hunted around and found a lightly used luba-a-matic for 40$, dies are 20-25 and top punches another 8.

I figure I have 115$ in for all my calibers (4) and takes another 30-40$ to set up for another caliber or just another 10 or so per extra mold. on sizing dies and top punches don't ignore the WTB section, alot of people duplicate top punches/sizing dies laying around.

geargnasher
04-15-2010, 03:32 PM
I use a Lyman. I think the RCBS version is as good or better. You're looking at $200 new with a couple of dies and top punches shipped. WELL worth the money.

You could also start out on top and get a Magma star sizer, but that's kinda like giving a beginning reloader a Dillon 550B.

Gear

MT Chambers
04-15-2010, 03:56 PM
If you do many bullets at a time, especially handgun bullets, then the Star is an option and the best solution if you do 'em 500 or more at a time, otherwise the RCBS is probably the best unit.

shooter75126
04-18-2010, 08:09 PM
I just got a Lyman 4500 with a heater and I love it. Works the same as the RCBS. I've mainly used the RCBS before, but it was my uncle's. When I moved into a house and actually got to set up my reloading stuff, I bought the Lyman because it was cheaper. I like it just as well as the RCBS so far.

The Star is great, and much faster once you get used to it. My uncle has one of those also, so I have a little experience with it. The Lyman or RCBS is all most people need, IMO.

canyon-ghost
04-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Best retail value is the Lyman Master Casting kit, comes with the lubesizer and the ladle pot, ingot mold, and manual, all for the same price as the lubesizer itself. I've bought the kit twice now, the 4500 is great, especially with the pin style heater, that's about $40. Then the dies and top puches run you somewhere around $25 for each caliber. The speed at which it works makes it worth it.

Ron

fredj338
04-19-2010, 02:25 AM
If you do many bullets at a time, especially handgun bullets, then the Star is an option and the best solution if you do 'em 500 or more at a time, otherwise the RCBS is probably the best unit.
Having owned a Lyman & played w/ the RCBS & now use a Star, I have to agree. The Star realy is a bargain when you consider you only need one top punch & it's easily twice as fast as tge Lyman, Saeco or RCBS. Do it right, but the Star/Magma first & you won't buy one later.

Elkins45
04-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Best retail value is the Lyman Master Casting kit, comes with the lubesizer and the ladle pot, ingot mold, and manual, all for the same price as the lubesizer itself. I've bought the kit twice now, the 4500 is great, especially with the pin style heater, that's about $40. Then the dies and top puches run you somewhere around $25 for each caliber. The speed at which it works makes it worth it.

Ron

The Master Casting Kit is on sale at Midway right now for $142. I just ordered one. Buy $8 more stuff and use their 10% off coupon code and it's like getting free shipping.

mtgrs737
04-19-2010, 06:42 PM
I have three Lyman 450's and two Star's. I have no experiance with the RCBS unit but would buy one if I found one at the right price. High volume = Star every time IMHO.

Colorado4wheel
04-19-2010, 06:49 PM
I started with Lee and Alox. Gave up on that and got the Star. IF you buy new the price from a Lyman (cheapest) to the Star is only $100 or so. You could sell the star at any time and make most that back. I waited nearly a month for mine.