PDA

View Full Version : new stock now it wont group???

RU shooter
04-14-2010, 06:42 PM
I got a C stock for my O3A3 fit was real good had a good amount of tip pressure just as it suppose to nothing touching the barrel except the stock tip.Now the bad I've tried just about every load I wrote down that shot well in it with the old stock and none has shot near as well with the new wood my best and most consistant match load consisting of the Lee 155-312 and 14 grs of unique used to shoot 1.5 moa for 10 rd groups all day every day wont event do that with 5 rds now best I can get is a hair under 3 moa? Any ideas what I should try next ? More tip pressure? Less?Try to find a new accuracy load? I cant figure it out and highpower season is already started so I need to get it shooting back to its former self pronto.

Tim

waksupi
04-14-2010, 06:57 PM
I'd try more fore end pressure. If you can't shim it enough, remove the metal, and heat the fore stock. Put the stock in a vise, and hang about 10# off the end, and let cool. This is the treatment I would give finicky Mannlichers, and it generally cured the problem.

zomby woof
04-14-2010, 07:04 PM
I say free float.

TNsailorman
04-14-2010, 08:58 PM
I free floated my 1903A3 all the way including the handguard. It shoots like a dream now. It now is a tight fit for a bayonet but I haven't had to face a banzai attack lately. James

Gtek
04-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Who made the stock? The Boy## stocks are hit and miss on fit under rec' area.
Double check front contact (thickness) of wood making sure gaurd engaging lower rec good. Does it have steel sleeve in rear hole? I had a sporty with a stamped
guard, found a really nice blued milled. Went from 1' to 3.5" same everything but guard. Chased tight, sequence, everything- switched back -1". I think that is why they call planes, boats, guns, girl names. Good Luck!
Gtek

Multigunner
04-18-2010, 10:20 PM
I got a C stock for my O3A3 fit was real good had a good amount of tip pressure just as it suppose to nothing touching the barrel except the stock tip.Now the bad I've tried just about every load I wrote down that shot well in it with the old stock and none has shot near as well with the new wood my best and most consistant match load consisting of the Lee 155-312 and 14 grs of unique used to shoot 1.5 moa for 10 rd groups all day every day wont event do that with 5 rds now best I can get is a hair under 3 moa? Any ideas what I should try next ? More tip pressure? Less?Try to find a new accuracy load? I cant figure it out and highpower season is already started so I need to get it shooting back to its former self pronto.

Tim

I'd test fit the barreled action in the old stock and observe closely any difference in fit.

Like as not the action and barrel simply wore in to just the right pressure points over the years.

The old wood probably has soaked up some oil here and there and the wood is a bit dead to vibrations. The new wood may just need to get settled in.

I usually find that no matter how good the bedding the rifle still has to breakin a bit, full house loads with more recoil would hasten the process.

Some restorers soak new wood in linseed oil for a week or more before fitting the stock, this being bedding to original specs, no fiberglass or shims. Then once a break in period has revealed any problem minor adjustments to bedding, including shims can be made.

I use veneer peeled from the back of old all wood paneling as shim materials, for thicker shims I use veneer stripped from old furniture.
I keep a supply of scrap paneling and junked furniture parts for just this purpose. Left in the rain for awhile to loosen the glues, That way I have a wide selection of thicknesses and species of wood.
Good for repairing surface gouges too. I select a piece to match the grain then inlet it and stain if needed and finish to match. I can carry the line of grain into the piece by using a sharp scribe, this makes the interface practically invisible.

RU shooter
04-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Who made the stock? The Boy## stocks are hit and miss on fit under rec' area.
Double check front contact (thickness) of wood making sure gaurd engaging lower rec good. Does it have steel sleeve in rear hole? I had a sporty with a stamped
guard, found a really nice blued milled. Went from 1' to 3.5" same everything but guard. Chased tight, sequence, everything- switched back -1". I think that is why they call planes, boats, guns, girl names. Good Luck!
Gtek

Its not aftermarket ,its Gov. issue and yes it has the rear bushing ,All seems to fit well in the rec. and TG areas, I guess I'll be playing hit and miss with barrel pressure, As for the old stock the barrel was actually pinched at the stock tip up aginst the end band exactly opposite of whats supposed to be!!!,Thats my next try.