PDA

View Full Version : Lee Load-All II

Limey
04-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Has anybody got any experience to share on using this 12 guage reloading press?.......

.....thinking about buying one to reload using Black Powder.....

Thanks in advance for your feedback on this machine.

Straight shootin',

Limey

Yeroc
04-14-2010, 06:29 PM
I had one for almost a week.Didnt care for the quality and traded it in on a mec sizemaster.The load all II certainly is useable.But i think you get what you pay for.If your only going to reload a minimal amount of shells it should work ok.I just wanted something that was better in quality.Thats just my opinion,some may feel different.

peter nap
04-14-2010, 08:13 PM
I have two Mecs and ywo of the Lee's.

I use the Lee's most of the time but I don't use the powder/shot hopper. Come to think of it, I never have.
The sizing, crimp dies work fine and the priming station is as good as the Mec.

The powder and shot metering looks like it would be a problem.

Harmon_Greer
04-15-2010, 01:51 AM
Plastic powder measure with real black powder may cause auto ignition from static buildup.

Limey
04-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Many thanks guys for your feedback....just the sort of thing I was looking for.

I will only be making up small batch's of cartridges loaded with black powder for the clubs annual BP clay pigeon shoot and really I only want the press for the hull re-sizing, stuffing of the wadding and crimp closure.

I intend to load the powder using the Lee Dipper set I already use for loading my metallic 45/70 cartridges with Black and I also intend to buy the Lee variable shot dipper for the lead loading.

So with the low numbers involved and the low purchase price of the kit I reckon it will do me fine. Years ago i used to have a much simpler Lee shotgun cartridge loading press.....I cannot remember what the model name was.....it was a very simple central column around which were 3 different loading functions....there were no powder or shot hoppers on it, I guess Lee does not make that any more?.......

Who makes Mec's?, I've never heard of them before....have you got any pictures of one?

Straight shootin'

Limey

Harmon_Greer
04-16-2010, 10:20 PM
Mayville engineering company. They are pricier than lee at approx 150 us dollars for the very basic loader

nitroproof
04-17-2010, 09:03 AM
I have 2 MEC's, a single stage "JR" and progressive "Grabber" for 12 gauge as I shoot skeet & trap.
I have a old 16 gauge double I shoot occasionally and reload with an first generation Lee LoadAll. The LoadAll works fine but is slower than the MEC JR. I use the shot & powder hoppers without problems.
I wold not hesitate to give the LoadAll a try for low volume reloading.
For Black Powder reloading DONT EVER use the powder hopper.

diehard
04-17-2010, 07:24 PM
+1 with Peter Nap and nitroproof.

I have a few older loaders (including a Lyman Easy Loader I really like), but most of my slug and buckshot work gets done on a Lee Load ALL II. The powder bushings are not very accurate (in my experience), and the powder tubes leak (so I dont' use them), but the crimping stations produce A#1 crimps. I like how you can adjust the crimp depth by feel, rather than having to turn this and adjustment bushing until the crimp comes out right. For low volume work, I really think the Lee product does a great job.

dogbert41
05-27-2010, 01:05 PM
Like Diehard says.