PDA

View Full Version : Black Powder - First Try.

Doc_Stihl
04-14-2010, 01:50 PM
I made a version of emmerts for lube cookies at lunch. Measured everything out nicely and very exact and left out the oil but substituted 50% of the oil weight with anyhdrous lanolin. Came out awesome. Cust nice. It's tough enough to stay round and soft enough to work well I think. Can't wait to try it.

I promptly made my next batch(pistol smokeless) by lobbing in some votive candles, beeswax, some lanolin, a squirt of mineral oil and crayons for coloring but ran out of time....

cajun shooter
04-15-2010, 08:23 AM
Some times making the lube can be as much fun as the bullet casting. I have been fooling around with a receipe for two years now. John Boy got me started and the rest is history. My SWMBO gets a little upset when I was working on the kitchen island so I moved the operation outside for better at home results.

Doc_Stihl
04-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Hot plates are a tinkerers friend. Between casting, making rubber worms, brewing beer, making lube, and misc trials a few hot plates in the garage is a good thing to have.

My main goal going forward is to find a 900-1100fps 45acp load that doesn't smoke out the indoor range. I've tried a few different lube powder combinations, but nothing that I'm happy with yet.

So I'll start cooking my own...

cajun shooter
04-19-2010, 03:26 PM
I shoot nothing but BP but was doing some loading for a friend while he waited to buy his gear. I found that Lars White Label Carnuba Red with Clays powder worked quite well. When i loaded it in both 38 spl. and 45 ACP.