PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 4500 & Bevel Base Bullets

Daryl
04-14-2010, 05:52 AM
I'm using the Lyman 4500. Some of my Lee molds have a slight bevel base such as the 452-230-TC and 356-120-TC. The lube wants to sneak into that small bevel. I do have the lower holes in the die plugged but it still gets in there. The Lee 429-200-RF has a flat base and works nicely as well as the GC bullets.

I'm thinking of having those molds milled off at the top to remove the bevel. Is this the solution?

Does the little lube that gets in there have any negative effect on the powder, etc?

I was using NRA 50/50 but have recently started with LBT Blue.

cheese1566
04-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Big debate about whether lube will contaminate powder...

I found I just didn't like the mess.

I learned from others here to place a small disc of foam in the bottom of the sizing die to act as a crushed cushion for the bottom of the bullet. The foam material will take up the bevel space and help keep the lube out. Problem is they don't last forever and you must be careful not to pverpressure the lube or be relaxed in the downstroke.

These can easily be cut by using an old shell casing for the caliber being sized that has been touched with a deburr tool to sharpen. I found foam cups work well. Try differnet materilas you have around. Others say meat trays from the supermarket.

cptinjeff
04-14-2010, 09:33 AM
I also had this problem and learned here about the foam. I was cutting discs for a while and then also read here that if you put the foam block (I use egg containers) under a boolit and "center punch" it with the stoke of the handle it forms perfectly and is quicker and easier than cutting discs. It takes two layers to make a perfect seal for me. good luck.:Fire:

cheese1566
04-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Cool!
I like that idea of using the press to punch the discs! that would be much easier.:idea:

1hole
04-14-2010, 10:14 AM
"Does the little lube that gets in there have any negative effect on the powder, etc?"

The tiny quanity of Alox/Beeswax on a bullet base is harmless. Store the ammo out of high heat and all will be well for a LOOONG time.

We rarely have to totally fill all the grooves with that excellant lube . Checking to see if you are over-lubing the bullets is easy; see if you have a greasy "star" pattern at the muzzle after firing a few shots. If you do, cut back on the lube.

Calamity Jake
04-14-2010, 11:14 AM
A copper gas check for the caliber also works very well.