PDA

View Full Version : SKS Cast Bullet Loating Technique

Farmall 1066
04-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Loaded up 50 rounds for a first attempt at cast in this rifle. F/L sized the cases with a Hornady sizer with the .310 button installed. Lightly flared the cases with a Lee Universal case expanding tool, then seated bullets,the Lee tumble lube 155 gn, and applied a firm crimp to them.

My question, since they shot nicely, at around 1.5-2" @ 50 yds, is this......is this about the same procedure the rest of you use?

Also...I'm using 2400, at 14.5gn and not always cycling reliably. Need to increase the powder charge, but I see some disparity as to what the max charge is. I only want to go until it cycles reliably. What do you consider max with this powder? I'm thinking 15-15.5, but want to be sure.

Thanks,
Andy

NuJudge
04-14-2010, 06:30 AM
Your procedure looks right.

Up your charge until you get reliable function. The best accuracy I get out of an SKS is what you are getting, 3-4 minutes of angle.

CDD

Buckshot
04-16-2010, 02:07 AM
.............You might also consider trying a slightly slower powder. It may increase the pressure at the port enough to help cycling in addition to starting the boolit off a bit slower.

..............Buckshot

Ole
04-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Take apart your gas tube and clean it thoroughly. Make sure the piston operates the full length of travel without catching on anything. I was having problems with my SKS not cycling well with cast loads, but found I had deposits and lead in my gas tube that was causing the problem.

I have used 15.5 grains of 2400 without issue. I normally use 15.0 and this works fine if my gas tube is clean.

One issue i've had is sometimes the necks won't hold the bullet tight enough to keep them from setting back into the case. A remedy i've found for this issue is when this problem presents itself, I take the guts out of my resizing die and put an ever so slight crimp (Lee factory crimp style) on my finished cartridges. Not too much, just enough to squeeze the necks down a little to hold the bullet in place.

res45
05-04-2010, 08:47 PM
In my Chinese and Yugo SKS I get by with 12.5 grs. of Alliant 2400,dumps the brass right beside the shooting bench,accuracy is less than 1" at 50 yds. with both rifles.

The 12.5 grs. pushes my Lee 165 gr. TL GC bullet on the chrono at 1500+ haven't run the 14.5 gr. load through it yet but it's pretty close to factory when it comes to throwing the brass into the next county.

Old Post
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=73295

Farmall 1066
05-04-2010, 11:00 PM
All is ok regarding piston and gas tube. Will be trying some at 15 and 15.5gn this weekend.