View Full Version : 98 mauser

Frank46
07-16-2006, 01:22 AM
At the local gun show saw a 98 mauser with straight bolt in 30-06 caliber. The markings on the receiver were "R Framage" or something similar. Anyone got any clue as to its manufacturer??. Bubba had already got to it. BBl cut down to about three inches forward of the front handguard band, ramp front sight installed and
williams 5D receiver sight installed. In spite of its faults I was sorely tempted but the bore was pitted in places. Frank

Four Fingers of Death
07-17-2006, 07:42 PM
They were a special order I am led to believe, assembled from used actions in 1952 (? I think). I had one, It was great, had an incredible fiddle back stock, my mates used to call it the 'Fuehrer's rifle.' Unfortunately it just snapped off at the wrist. I still have the broken bits, always planned to make a set or two of pistol grips out of it. I can't remember what I did with it, I remember ordering a stock, but lost interest in it after that. All of the ones I saw had FN actions. LHS of Receiver, just in frnt of thumb slot, 'Fabrique Nationale de Geuree.' I apoligish to any belgians here for my memory and spelling. Mick.

grumpy one
07-17-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm wondering if you are both talking about the same rifle. I have one of the FN K98s in 30-06. It is ex-Columbian army, and has a contract serial number in the 13-thousands. These rifles are very common in Australia, after a large shipment came here in about 1980. I don't think it was a recycled action, since the action and stock have the same serial number, and I can't see how an old FN 98 action would have had a low serial number like that.

The imprint on the left side of the action, between the thumb cutout for clip stripping and the receiver ring, reads "FAB. NAT. D'ARMES de GUERRE" on the upper line and in smaller font, "HERSTAL-BELGIQUE" on the lower line. I don't recall there being any serial number on the barrel - I can't check now because I'd have to remove my scout-type scope mount to get the hand-grip off to take the action out of the stock. The appearance of the wood in the stocks varied quite a bit. Mine is very straight grained, fairly light coloured, but has just a bit of figure in the wood starting at the pistol grip. However the hand guard is rather fancy wood. I've been told that figured wood was considered a disadvantage for military stocks since it isn't as strong as straight grained wood.

In the gun shop where I bought it in about 1980 they had a rack-full of the things. Some of them had dark, almost black stocks. As I recall some had blued or partly blued bolts - my entire bolt is polished, and mine was the only one in the rack with that feature.

As well as the K98s the dealer was selling many similar 98s that were called carbines, with a barrel several inches shorter and a large Columbian crest on the top of the receiver ring, taking up all the available space. These were priced slightly higher, which was kind of amusing considering how unpleasant they were rumoured to be when fired with milsurp or factory loads.

Geoff

Frank46
07-18-2006, 02:48 AM
The 98 mauser actioned rifle in question had no crest on the receiver just the framage markings. Bummer, was in 30-06 and had a small notch milled out the the back of the receiver ring to take the '06 cartridge. Only saw one other like it but that was years ago. Shame the bore was not in better shape. Thanks Mick and Geoff. Why is it you aussies always seem to get the good stuff down there??.
Frank

Bob S
07-18-2006, 12:28 PM
I stumbled across one of these at a show about 5 years ago. After 40 years shooting Springfields, and a few years shooting K31's, I was ready to try a Mauser, and a 30-06 seemed like a good place to start. Mine looks like a brand-new barreled action was dropped into a Vz 24 stock and furniture: the magazine had not been lengthened for the 30-06 cartridge. Not an issue with my "universal 30-06 load" of 311291 and 15 grains of 2400. The target is that load, not tuned to the rifle, and no tuning of the rifle ... I just put the elevation slide on 600 meters, got into the US GI web sling and flopped on my belly at 100 yards:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/Mausers/ColumbianSR31129115gr2400.jpg

I have since lengthened the magazine, opened up the rear sight notch a bit so I can actually find the front sight; took about .010" off the front sight height, improvised a front sight windage adjuster; and put an elevation screw in the rear sight leaf. It's a very accurate, pleasant to shoot rifle now.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

Four Fingers of Death
07-21-2006, 09:32 AM
My stock was very dark and from memory the bolt was in the white. MIck.

PS, we got a lot of stuff you guys didn't get because you had an embargo on Eastern Bloc countries. Thats why CZ/Brnos have been out her forever and are realitively new in the states. Believe me, you guys got the market cornered on toys, we get a few licks in with 92 Winchesters in 32/20 and old Mausers, but we'd gladly swap.

LGS
08-16-2006, 10:04 AM
R. FAMGE stands for " Reformando Fabrica de Material de Gurra " ( Modified Factory of Militart Equipment ) .

These rifles were modifed by the Columbian government when they switched from the 7X57 Mauser to 30-06. The Columbians purchased new 1950 short 98 Mausers from F.N. then converted the others to match the new ones. The .30 stamped on the rear bridge states in is a 30-06. All manufacturer markings were ground off for some reason. Most of these were F.N., some may be Styer. The action is very strong. I had E.R. Shaw convert one to 458 Win Mag. I have only about 100 rounds through it but it works fine.

Frank46
08-17-2006, 02:45 AM
LGS, thanks for the info. Frank