PDA

View Full Version : Redding Ultramag Press

flashhole
04-13-2010, 07:15 PM
Anyone care to comment on the Redding Ultramag? Likes, dislikes?

shooter93
04-13-2010, 08:26 PM
It is extremely strong, you can size anything that fits it's height easily. It's also loads very accurate ammunition. It's only drawback, which isn't really a drawback, is it's a bit slower than a c-press or Rockchucker type. It has two linkage arms so you reach in through the front as opposed to the side. I use it more than any other press I have.

dromia
04-16-2010, 03:06 AM
I have one and love it, as has been said you need to work it from the front. To be honest though it strength is a bit OTT for most reloading but it is silky smooth and lovely to work with. It produces excellent ammunition.

scb
04-16-2010, 07:03 PM
I like mine very much. The only thing about it is that you have to "feed" it almost straight on. I guess I got spoiled buy my Rock Chucker that you could load shells into from say the 7 or 8 o'clock position. It just seemed easier. I had the same complaint with a RCBS Big Max press I had. Other than that I think the Ultramag is a great press.

flashhole
04-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Can it be used to swage 22 caliber bullets? I've been thinking about getting the die kit that converts 22lr brass to bullet jackets and the other dies needed to make jacketed bullets.

scb
04-18-2010, 05:14 PM
I haven't done so, but I see no reason why not. It's a very strong press.

1hole
04-18-2010, 05:21 PM
It's a good press, except the ergonomics. It's so massively "over-built" for normal reloading work as to be ridiculous.

Quality ammo doesn't result from using any brand of press, it's the result of doing quality work.

Ozark Howler
04-19-2010, 11:36 AM
The Ultramag is somewhat of an awkward design......if you want a heavy duty press that's easier the work with, look at the CH Heavy Duty Champion or look for a good clean used RCBS A2 (which seems to be the standard for HD presses).

flashhole
04-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Howler, why do you characterize the design as awkward?

Ozark Howler
04-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Howler, why do you characterize the design as awkward?

By awkward I mean that the design does not allow easy side access to the cartridge being reloaded. The Ultramag is basically a C press utilizing the side linkage as part of the die support (good idea). The drawback is that access is made through the front of the press, for some (me included) I find this to be not friendly.

Outside of that, it is a strong press.