PDA

View Full Version : Casting commercially?

cricco
04-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Hi guys. I am really loving casting my own bullets. I have also been searching for a business to start from my home. So, I am now thinking about buying some commercial equipment, and casting commercially. I am looking at Magma Engineering, and Ballista-cast equipment. Purchasing the equipment would be a hefty investment. I'm a bit nervous about it. With the economy in the crapper, I am unsure if I could make enough money to recover the cost of the equipment, and turn a profit. Does anyone have experience with this? Does it sound like it could be profitable? I'm thinking that I could do it as a side job for a while, and if all goes well, perhaps quit my regular job. Does anyone have any insight into this? I'm sure someone here has been down this road. Thanks for any advice. Oh, one last question....would I need any licenses from the BATFE to manufacture bullets? No loaded ammo....just bullets. Thanks guys.

Cricco

Avery Arms
04-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Write your county (and/or city as appropriate) zoning board and see if they will give you a letter of approval for the address you have in mind.

If the county won't give you an occupational license then the ATF won't let you operate.

By the time you pay the county, state, ATF, Dept of state etc I would anticipate about $2,500 a year in fees (the vast majority going to ITAR/dept of state)

PP

deltaenterprizes
04-16-2010, 06:52 PM
I did commercial casting for 12 years. You need a large supply of lead to feed those machines. 45-200gr SWCs eat up 25lbs in 15 min at 2400/hr, I went through at least a ton every 2 months and figure I made at least 1,000,000 in those 12 years.
If you can find good used equipment you can save a bundle.

cricco
04-19-2010, 11:21 PM
Thank you for all the tips guys. Can anyone tell me what I would need from the BATFE to cast commercially?

imashooter2
04-20-2010, 12:23 AM
PM member freakshow10mm and I'm sure he will provide some advice. He ventured into the commercial casting business briefly a while back.

deltaenterprizes
04-20-2010, 12:31 AM
Thank you for all the tips guys. Can anyone tell me what I would need from the BATFE to cast commercially?

Type 06 FFL