PDA

View Full Version : which BHN test'n tool......

Chapped Lips
04-13-2010, 05:08 PM
apologize if this been covered or re-covered repeatedly....but which BHN tester do you prefer?
i see the ads and references to SAECO,Lee,LBT,Cabine Tree and even a couple of do-it-urself types.
thanx for ur time........

waksupi
04-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Cabin Tree is the definite winner.

beanflip
04-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Cabin Tree is what I have and agree with waksupi

RobS
04-13-2010, 08:23 PM
They will all work well enough and all of them require a "rhythm" so to say in order to have repeatable measurements. I chose to make my own.........less expensive as mine I built for less than $2. Saeco would be the only one that wouldn’t test larger objects such as an ingot so if that is something you want to do then I would not suggest this tester.

frankenfab
04-13-2010, 08:32 PM
I am not down on Lee equipment, I have a bit of it. But I think something may have been wrong with the telescope that came with my kit. I tried it in all sorts of light, NADA. I never got around to checking into a resolution. I have seen others say they were satisfied with the Lee tester and got good results.

Cabine Tree is where my money will go when I finally make it a priority.

Casting Timmy
04-13-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm going to make my own hardness tester based off of the potter design. I just need a few more things to finish it off. Hopefully I can get some of them this weekend.

Jon
04-14-2010, 08:13 AM
Any links to the homemade designs? I need something, and can't really afford the cabin tree right now.

Pepe Ray
04-14-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm with Casting Tim.
If I had the money I'd spend it on a Cabin Tree tester.
since I'm by nature a tightwad and by situation, busted, I've decided to make one based on the old Potter Engineering design. Mostly because I have a dislike of springs in such devises. No One offers a device w/o springs at this time.
Pepe Ray

fredj338
04-14-2010, 02:38 PM
I had the Saceo, work sfine but as noted, can't do ingots or really long bullets. I sold it & have the CabinTree. Nice tool, easy to use, very repeatable.

montana_charlie
04-14-2010, 02:49 PM
I would recommend you get the Lee tool.
I'll tell you why if you ask me, but it will start a fight.

I also have some advice for your chapped lips...if you need any.
CM

Chapped Lips
04-14-2010, 04:06 PM
I would recommend you get the Lee tool.
I'll tell you why if you ask me........curious folks want to know...either here or via privy msg.....

I also have some advice for your chapped lips...if you need any.
CM.......i use that handle because during calling season my lips get chapped from blow'n on the calls [smilie=p: ..................and from lick'n my lips in ANTICIPATION......(thank u, carly simon)

Chapped Lips
04-14-2010, 04:10 PM
[QUOTE=montana_charlie;869683]I would recommend you get the Lee tool.
I'll tell you why if you ask me, but it will start a fight.......curious mind here would enjoy an input.......either here or via privy msg.....

RobS
04-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Any links to the homemade designs? I need something, and can't really afford the cabin tree right now.

here are a few for you:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=69416&highlight=cheap+bhn+tester

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=59923&highlight=cheap+bhn+tester

Chapped Lips
04-15-2010, 12:43 AM
thanx to all for input.....and thanx RobS for the links.....'preciate it.

Bob J
04-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Cabin Tree for me as well..... Had a Lee before that and couldn't get consistent measurements....

montana_charlie
04-15-2010, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=montana_charlie;869683]I would recommend you get the Lee tool.
I'll tell you why if you ask me, but it will start a fight
.......curious mind here would enjoy an input.......either here or via privy msg.....
The Lee tool uses a hardened spherical indenter, pressed into the alloy for a specified period of time, under the pressure of a known weight.
That is exactly how a lab-grade BHN tester operates.
There is no reference point to be established...which causes variations based on technique of the operator. You compress the tool to a specified point, count off thirty seconds, and take your measurement.
It can't be done incorrectly.

The indention is not measured for depth (like in a Rockwell test) it is measured for the area of the circle the indention occupies. The test evaluates the sideways displacement of the soft metal...not how deep something can penetrate it. That is why you are told to begin with a flat surface.

All of the other testers are useful, and the Cabine Tree can provide very good results if the operator establishes his reference point carefully. But, none of them work like a 'real' Brinell test setup.

CM

GLL
04-15-2010, 12:55 PM
I use a Cabine Tree for quick measurements in the shop !

I also have a LEE. It is well made and as CM has outlined it can be very accurate. The key to the LEE for me was to throw the crappy little scope in the trash. I now use the Wild Heerbrugg petrographic research binocular scope I have in my lab. The precision measuring eyepieces give great results and it only costs about $16,000 ! :)

Buckshop made a hardness tester that is actually better than the LEE. When I do serious measurements I find his to be the very best ! Not too sure if he still makes them though.

If LEE would make a scope that had brighter optics it would be VERY nice. They could do it for an extra $5-10 easily !

geargnasher
04-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Chapped Lips, I agree with MC, for the money the Lee tester kit works very well and is versatile. The main strong point is repeatability more than exact accuracy. I've tested many samples with my Lee, ones tested with Cabin Tree and Rockwell equipment, and found it to be within 1 bhn point. Close enough for 98% of the casting needs out there.

And for chapped lips, use Felix lube flavoured with clove oil.

Gear

Firebricker
04-15-2010, 02:49 PM
I have an LBT and like it it gives consistant results but I will still eventually try a cabine tree out too. FB

montana_charlie
04-15-2010, 04:31 PM
And for chapped lips, use Felix lube flavoured with clove oil.
Few things work better than udder balm for healing chapped lips, but calf manure is also useful.
It doesn't promote healing, but it keeps you from licking your lips...
CM

R.M.
04-16-2010, 11:33 AM
I have a LBT, and like it. No charts, no scopes, no measuring indents. Plain and simple.