PDA

View Full Version : Snapped a Lee 6cavity mould handle

JesseCJC
04-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Well this sucks. Fired up the pot to cast some more 9mm boolits and the handle that slices off the sprue snapped off on the second cast. :violin: The mould was heated on a hot plate but only on medium setting for about 10 minutes, is this getting too hot or was it just shotty Lee euipment? There wasn't even that much resistance in the handle and it just gave way. I had to let it cool completely and take a hammer to the bolt to get the sprue to slice off and get the boolits out.

45nut
04-13-2010, 03:24 PM
its a MIM part,, sintered metal dust injection cast and I consider them brittle and a consumable if handled wrong, I think Lee replaces them free if you send in the broken one, maybe a phone call will do the trick. It was not too hot,, it was actually too cold to pop the sprues off.

jimmeyjack
04-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Mine did the same thing. mold was a little cold and I guess I pulled a little to hard:x. Midway replaced it as it had other issues as well. The metal looked like a really course grain where it broke.

BSkerj
04-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Mine did the same thing. mold was a little cold and I guess I pulled a little to hard:x. Midway replaced it as it had other issues as well. The metal looked like a really course grain where it broke.

+1 about Midway...I had one snap and sent back the whole mould to Midway and they replaced with a brand new one...no troubles since then.

sargenv
04-13-2010, 05:18 PM
I not only did that on one, but I replaced it with the spare one off another mold and snapped that one too rendering TWO molds useless :D

I called Lee and they sent me two replacements NQA.

Springfield
04-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Either pre-heat the mould more or start with casting only the first couple of cavities 'till the mould is up to temp. I have been casting a few thousand bullets a week for the last 5 years with 12 different LEE 6 cavs and I have never broken a handle. I don't believe I am just lucky, just treat my moulds properly. There is a lot of pressure on that handle due to leverage and it really isn't that strong but they should not break if the lead/mold is hot enough. Don't wait too long to cut the sprues either.

Gee_Wizz01
04-13-2010, 07:20 PM
I have never snapped one off until this weekend! I have cast many thousand bullets with Lee 6 cavity molds without an issue, but I was distracted for a couple of seconds and snapped the handle. I was merrily casting away outside and SWMBO came home and asked me a question, just as I was starting to fill the mold. I answered her questions which couldn't have taken more than 30 seconds. Then grabbed the sprue handle and pulled, it didn't open so I gave a little extra yank and the handle snapped off in my hand. When I looked at the mold I realized that the sprue plate was slightly open, about an 1/8". It was my fault, just one second of inattention.

G

johnlaw484
04-13-2010, 07:27 PM
I have welded mine up so many times I wore my welder out.

clodhopper
04-13-2010, 07:39 PM
I have snapped two, made a replacement out of mild steel, Drill, bench grinder, file, more file then filed some more, much easyer getting one from lee.
Thanks to Springfeild who reccomended taking it easy until the mould warms up,
both of the ones I have broken have been when just starting to cast. It makes sense.

oregonshooter
04-13-2010, 07:45 PM
I welded one up that I broke. If you have to force it, you are doing it wrong!

theperfessor
04-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Maybe I'm just lucky but I haven't broken a Lee 6 cavity handle yet. But I always make sure the sprue plate is FULLY CLOSED. If not, you diminish the mechanical advantage (leverage) and overstress the handle. If its not fully closed, use the screwdriver trick Lee covers in the instructions with the molds.

Not saying that's why all the handles break, but I bet a lot of them are broken this way. Lee doesn't design things to be any stronger or heavier than they need to be for normal use.

Jon
04-16-2010, 09:30 AM
I broke mine as well. It turns out the sprue plate wasn't closed all the way when I poured. That way the cam wasn't working, and it'll break if you force it. If you catch yourself with that situation, just use a torch to melt the lead, and open the sprue plate.

It's pretty easy to do, and apparently it's fairly common.

sdelam
04-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Snapped mine the first time time i used it. Called Lee and they sent me a new one in couple days

Phat Man Mike
04-16-2010, 10:50 PM
I broke 1 and called LEE and had in in my hands in no time.. :)

Cowboy T
04-16-2010, 11:13 PM
I also broke a couple. Lee came through for me w/ no argument, no fuss.

However, the cause is indeed not fully closing the cam action. That's how I broke two of 'em before I learned what was going on. Give that sprue plate handle an extra tap with your hand to close it before each pour, just to be sure.

I haven't broken one again in over 8,000 boolits.

Bkid
04-16-2010, 11:38 PM
I also broke a couple. Lee came through for me w/ no argument, no fuss.

However, the cause is indeed not fully closing the cam action. That's how I broke two of 'em before I learned what was going on. Give that sprue plate handle an extra tap with your hand to close it before each pour, just to be sure.

I haven't broken one again in over 8,000 boolits.

I learned that from your video on You Tube.

imashooter2
04-16-2010, 11:41 PM
The one I broke was on a borrowed mold. Lee replaced it quickly and with no questions.

Beerd
04-20-2010, 06:29 PM
good to hear I'm not alone.
and yes, Lee did good by me too!

Ben
04-20-2010, 07:44 PM
It speaks well of Lee that they quickly send out a replacement, but it looks like Lee would get tired of sending out replacements and " Beef - Up " the design on any molds made in the future so they wouldn't have such a high breakage rate.

? ? ? ?

shooterg
04-20-2010, 08:21 PM
What Ben said. I've broke 2, keep extras now. Make it better and charge another buck up front!

Cowboy T
04-21-2010, 10:34 PM
What Ben said. I've broke 2, keep extras now. Make it better and charge another buck up front!

Remember, it's a six-cavity mould. That cam action really matters. Just treat it right (tap it closed before each pour) and it won't break anymore.

cheese1566
04-22-2010, 12:03 AM
I bought a spare in my last parts order to Lee. I am almost guranteed to never break on one now!

....until the second I lose the spare- then I will snap two for sure...:Fire: