PDA

View Full Version : Proper finish for a Finnish

sheepdog
04-12-2010, 08:44 PM
I have an m39 I've cleaned with alcohol and washed the old oils out. Wanting to restore it to the old finish thats proper for this gun. Not just a good finish but the proper original finish.

So with that said is it shelac, boiled linseed, tung, chinawood, or something else?

Informed correct responses great appreciated. :)

Dutchman
04-12-2010, 09:21 PM
[deleted my opinion about what you did to your stock by removing the patina of the wood]

"equal parts beeswax, turpentine, and flaxseed oil" according to:
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinFAQ.htm

Some m/39 stocks were finished with nothing more than pine tar pitch. There's more than one answer for "correct".

Dutch

sheepdog
04-13-2010, 12:13 AM
[deleted my opinion about what you did to your stock by removing the patina of the wood]

Dutch

Normally I would understand but the stock looked like it spent 50 years in a Jiffy lube drain pit only to later be coated with polyurethane til urine yellow. Trust me the stock was far beyond bearable. Besides I steamed most of the dings out and its starting to show a little hint of tiger striping underneath. :grin:

bkbville
04-13-2010, 02:02 AM
Hmm - can anyone tell me how to restore a MN M38 stock to its ruskie origins?

Dutchman
04-13-2010, 05:15 AM
Normally I would understand but the stock looked like it spent 50 years in a Jiffy lube drain pit only to later be coated with polyurethane til urine yellow. Trust me the stock was far beyond bearable. Besides I steamed most of the dings out and its starting to show a little hint of tiger striping underneath. :grin:

The first thing that comes to mind doesn't always reflect reality. Of course there are circumstances where refinishing is called for. It just isn't the first thing that comes to mind (my mind). I've seen enough Finn m/39 that I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Dutch

sheepdog
04-15-2010, 01:13 AM
Anyone have a little of this mixture? Id hate to buy all the stuff for half a pint of finish

JMtoolman
04-16-2010, 05:06 PM
First stain the stock with what the Finns used, some black pine tar dissolved in turps. Make a thin mix swab it on and let soak for a while and wipe off all the excess with paper towels. Let set for a couple of days and apply several coats of the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3, mix of beeswax, linseed oil, and turpentine. Rub it in good, and remove the excess. Let it set for a day or two between coats. Thats how they did it, looks and smells wonderful. Best regards, the toolman.

sheepdog
04-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Don't happen to have any of that stuff do you? A guy can spend $50 on that stuff if not more just to use a few table spoons :(