PDA

View Full Version : Plumbers Furnace Help

sass2924
04-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Hello Boolit Masters,
Need a little help with a furnace I just bought. Want to make sure I can get it working with few problems. The brand is Unique. Tag says " Gasoline Model 53". Can I use regular unleaded gas? Does anyone have some simple steps to follow to test and lite? I know I will get recomendations to buy a propane turkey fryer burner but... If I did things the easy way all of my life I would have more $$ in my pocket. So with that said help me get this thing working so I can melt some lead.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c81/mental_mayhem/photo1.jpg

Randy47360
04-12-2010, 08:30 PM
See post http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=81350

Randy

454PB
04-12-2010, 09:50 PM
At one time, I had two of them. Mine ran just fine on unleaded gas.

They work basically like a Coleman lantern. Fill it about 3/4 full (to allow for some air pressure and expansion), pump it up, and light it using the valve to control fuel flow.

The trick is to get them hot as quickly as possible. I used a hand held propane torch to heat the generator coil. Once it's hot and roaring, you don't need any additional heat.

deerslayer
04-12-2010, 10:08 PM
I am a plumber and I honestly have not seen many of those left where the seals and such were still safe in them. Although they do seem to have some antique value$$ The value might just be enough to buy the proper equipment. BTW No I am not interested in it. Just a thought

shaggist
04-12-2010, 11:13 PM
HOW TO LIGHT A PLUMBER'S LEAD FURNACE

NEVER LIGHT THE FURNACE INDOORS
ALWAYS USE IT ON A LEVEL SURFACE
ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD FIRE EXTINGUISHER AT HAND
IF A FIRE STARTS, TURN OFF BIG GAS VALVE ASAP
DON'T DRINK AND MELT

1. Clean out the tank of any old gas.
2. Check the leather washer in the air pump to make sure it is soft and flexible. Lubricate with some vaseline to get a good seal. Don't fold it when re-inserting.
3. Pump the empty tank to pressurize to check that the gas feed lines aren't stopped up with old gas. Open the primary valve(large handle) with the gas feed valve(small handle) closed and apply soapy water to each pipe joint to check for leaks(the soap mix will bubble). If any leaks are found, tighten joints to stop them, as they will cause a disaster if you try to run the furnace with a leak anywhere.
4. With no leaks, fill about 3/4 full of unleaded regular gas or Colemen fuel, and, with both valves closed, pressurize the tank to a medium level(judge by how hard it is to pump the air handle).
5. Open the big valve and CHECK FOR LEAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
6. If none, either pour some denatured alcohol in the warmer cup under the heater coil inside the windshield, or open the little valve slightly to dribble some gas into the warmer cup. Close the little valve and light the fuel in the warmer cup.
7. When the flame has almost died out, open the little valve slightly and the burner should light. It will pulse and roar. If your underdrawers are still clean, proceed. When the roar has settled down, adjust the flame so that it is not above the burner top, so that it won't blow itself out. When the flame is steady, put the crucible on the burner and start adding lead.

NEVER OPERATE THIS MACHINE WITHOUT ALL THE PRECAUTIONS THAT YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE.
IT CAN BLOW UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

454PB
04-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Excellent instructions shaggist!

GOPHER SLAYER
04-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Sass2924, I have one of those beasts sitting behind my shed. I used it a few times but I always lit it with a very long match. Sometimes it would go WHOOMP. It got too scary to fool with. A few years ago in a yard sale I bought a modern furnace that uses propane. Works like a champ and it is soooooo much safer. My advice to you is sell the beast and by propane.

Johnch
04-13-2010, 10:24 PM
If your pot is very big
Suport it
As The one I have , when a pot of lead is on top scares me
I knocked it over with a pot with 20-25 lb of lead in it

After I cleaned my shorts , I cleaned up the mess

After that I hung the pot from above
with just enough weight on the furnace to to keep everything still

John

Bret4207
04-15-2010, 08:37 AM
They are an outside toy for sure. I love mine. Took a while to figure out since I got it pre-Internet, but if I can use it without setting myself on fire- anyone can.

I also still use a gasoline blowtorch. Very handy for cheap heating of large parts.

oso
04-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Much nicer looking unit than mine, I'm envious. Here are a few additional precautions:
-Set up in an area clear of flammable material.
-Have a source of cold water immediately available in case of burns or fire.
-Remove the horizontal nut at the top of the fuel line above the control valve and check the length
of cable in the fuel line that acts as a filter/flow control. Make sure the line is patent as a good
supply of fuel is necessary for good operation.