PDA

View Full Version : mold for 44 rem mag rifle

Rock021710
04-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Hello,
I'm new to casting boolits and need some ideas on molds for a 44 Remington Magnum Rifle, lever action to be precise. I bought a Lee mold (tl430-240-swc) I am a little worried that the nose is not large enough to keep from having the recoil fire a round in the mag. any ideas would be greatly appreciated

longbow
04-12-2010, 08:42 PM
I am not familiar with the Lee SWC but I would be surprised if the nose was small enough to set off a primer.

What I am familar with is poor feeding in my Marlin of Keith style SWC designs.

You don't say what make/model you rifle is but do check loaded cartridge OAL to make sure it will feed through the action. Even if it is okay you may find the nose shape presents feeding problems as well.

My Marlin has been modified to allow longer OAL and to set cartrdige height to feed into the chamber and now feed them not too bad.

Some guns seem to be a problem and some don't even in Marlin. I hope yours likes the SWC.

Longbow

Larry Gibson
04-12-2010, 11:39 PM
The Lee bullet is fine in tube magazines. The problem is that you will have to back off on most magnum loads to get best accuracy. If you want agnum level performance with cast bullets for hunting in the rifle then a GC bullet is best. This allows higher velocity with very good accuracy and the use of softer alloys for hunting purposes. If you also have a revolver the I suggest you stay within revolver pressure loads but load for the rifle and then just accept that loads results in the revolver. If you try to have two different loads it belies a major benifit of the handgun/rifle same cartridge concept. Besides if you load differently for both you will never have the right cartridge when you want it. Been there, done that....a couple times.

Larry Gibson

Rock021710
04-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the info. I kinda jumped into casting full bore without doing any real research into it. I was already reloading and it seemed like a natural progression.

I am not familiar with gas checks. Would someone one be willing to explain.
and the rifle is a Marlin 1894c. I don't own a 44 mag handgun, but I have an uncle who does and we may shoot together some.
thanks again.
thomas

Wayne Smith
04-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Rock, if you do a search on Marlin 44 you will find a plethora of information. Some of it actually useful, too! We have a whole section devoted to those little brass cups called gas checks. Go down there and read for a while. No disrespect intended, but please do your homework here.

maddog2020
04-16-2010, 12:11 AM
I have a 429421 keith style 44 mag flat nose bullet, its a rcbs 245 grain bullet mold.
I've been hunting for a 310 grain mold for my 44mag

Guesser
04-16-2010, 10:01 AM
i found that the now discontinued(what's new?) Lyman 429640 proved to be a very good bullet in my Marlin 44. I shortened my barrel to 16.25 and use H110. Good accuracy and flawless feeding. Cast from WW, sized and checked it weighs 290 gr.

excavman
04-21-2010, 09:51 AM
I use a 300gr GC bullet with a case full of IMR4227 for 1400fps in my 26 inch barrel Puma. Awsome knock down power.

Larry