PDA

View Full Version : .22's

Doug S
07-15-2006, 08:28 AM
Hi,

Just wondering what everyone shoots for a .22 levergun and how they like them.

As a levergun nut, I've always wanted a .22 but to be honest, none of the commonly available ones struck my fancy. I'm not knocking any of them, I just found the Browning and Winchesters were a little too small, the Henry didn't do it and the Marlin 39 is another great gun but again, it just wasn't what I wanted. I even thought about a vintage 73 but anything worth shooting was too much money and therefore, not a shooter anyways-(collector value)..

Few years ago I stumbled onto this gun, made by Uberti in limited quantities, most of what they made in .22s were 1866 models with some 73's thrown in. Although it does not have a carbine stock, everything else works just like an original 73(the dust cover has to be manually pulled back), it's full size and weight and an excellant shooter...Take a look:

http://www.huntingforums.com/photopost/data/500/Uberti_73-_22.jpg

So, what are you shoot'n and how do you like it?

Doug

9.3X62AL
07-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Doug--

I have one of the Marlin 39A leverguns, and that little critter is one tack-driving machine with ammo it likes--that being Win Dynapoints and Rem HVHP's. The Rems hit about an inch higher than the Dynos at 50 yards, but that's the extent of the variance load to load. Both ammo makes will do 1" ten-shot groups if I do my part, with 6-7 shots inside 3/4". The Marlin isn't quite a 336 understudy, but a lot more so than the Win 94/9422 comparison. The Marlin's ease of maintenence through easy takedown and breech-end bore cleaning is another plus in my book.

I recall having seen an original '73 in 22 Short in a local shop several years ago. It had a "real rifle" heft to it that the 39A lacks to some extent, and as you indicate the dust cover had to be manually opened prior to firing. I almost bought a Uberti '73 in 32-20 to fill that "caliber hole" in my collection--they are very fine repros indeed.

Jack Stanley
07-15-2006, 11:25 PM
I bought a 39 in the last few years after not having one since I was a teenager . I liked it and bought it because of what I remembered the other to be like and I think the gun is from that era ( not sure about how to check serial numbers) . I was new in the box and had the tattered old box that looked like it came from a hardware store shelf somewhere .

It shoots as well as I can see to use it and is fun to use .

Jack

dk17hmr
07-16-2006, 01:27 AM
I have a Henry my dad bought for me for Christmas a few years ago. We were in Montana visiting a friend and he had a Henry Lever 22 and I just couldnt put it down. My dad noticed my fondness of the rifle and bought me one. I shoot 20 gauge shells at 20 yards with open sights. Best run was 14 in a row then I missed on my last shot.

I ran a small trap line on our property and carried this rifle on my route with 22 shorts in my pocket and 22 Stingers or Mini Mags in the gun. I never did catch a yote or fox in my traps but got 2 possums, a raccoon, a few rabbits, and cant forget the skunk.

I personally love my Henry fill the tube with bulk Federal ammo and it will shoot every time.

DK

Bret4207
07-16-2006, 07:56 AM
I wish I'd never sold my Marlin '39 Mountie, but ya gotta feed the kids right? I have an original 1897 awaiting a rebuild too. If I stumble across another Mountie I'd grab it for the right price. A Henry would be a nice base for a project gun.

26Charlie
07-16-2006, 09:19 AM
doug S - thats a really nice looking rifle. Never had the pleasure of handling one.
I have a Marlin 39A .22 LR with an unusual buckhorn rear and ring front sight combo, very accurate. Also I have a .22 WRM Winchester 9422, which shoots the Win. 40 gr. JHP very accurately at 100 yards and the 45 gr. Dynapoint to the same POI at 50 yards, and the Win. .22 WRF to the same POI at 30 yards. Respective MV's for those three are 2050 fps, 1550 fps, and 1350 fps or thereabouts.

Doug S
07-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Just wondering, does the Marlin 39 or the Henry cycle shorts?

My buddy has a 39 and I've shot it quite a bit, it is really accurate and functions well. I have a Marlin 94cs in .38/.357 that is very similar in weight and balance to the 39 and after alot of shooting and a little work it's very slick.

That Uberti has one anoying fault, you load the tube by completely removing the plunger-(drop them down the tube). If it is empty there is not enough spring tension to keep the retaining knotch on the plunger in place and the whole deal can fall out. Like most of the toggle link guns, it is smooth and fast, I can krank out all 15 quickly and the gun stays on target with ease, skipping cans around is a blast..

Doug

dk17hmr
07-16-2006, 05:31 PM
My Henry does cycle 22 shorts. They are to expensive to plink with but I carried them in my pocket for dipatchin animals caught in my traps. Holds 21 or 22 shorts 15 or 16 LR's.

jh45gun
07-16-2006, 10:08 PM
I have a 22 Mag Henry Lever the standard one and I love it. I bought the standard one over the golden boy because I had a Leupold M8 4x (compact) that fits perfect on it and I figured with the extra range the 22 mag provides it could use a scope.

PatMarlin
07-16-2006, 11:50 PM
The 39a Century LTD in my avatar.

I bought that (the very same) in 1970 at 11 years old by mowing lawns. It still looks as new as it did then except for the patina'd brass as I never polished it. I don't know how it made it through all the crazy years and places in my life. .....:roll:

It's my oldest posession now.

Vegas Vince
07-17-2006, 12:04 AM
My buddy had a Marlin 39A manufactured in 1948 and I've shot it quite a bit, So about 7 years ago I bought it. It is really accurate and functions well with almost any ammo. The gun had a scope on it but was removed back in the 1950'S. I have change the sights and I am looking for a side scope mount. The gun was drilled and taped and I would like to use the orginal holes to mount a new scope. It is a good shooter. I taught two of my grandson to shoot using it. :drinks: