PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 3-way cutter for trim pro

Firebricker
04-11-2010, 11:04 PM
I've been thinking of getting one of these and would like some opinion's on how well they work. It looks like a great idea but it's alway's good to hear from people that have tried them. Thank's in advance FB

sdelam
04-12-2010, 08:52 AM
I have one for .223. it works great out of the box, nice and sharp. Not hard to set up and works great with a drill too. I tried one because i couldnt bring my self to shell out the $500 for a giraud trimmer.

I have done close to 1k brass with it now and it is starting to show some dulling as expected. It still works fine though. I suppose I could take it apart and sharpen it. I might have to get through the other 3k of brass I have sitting here.

Id say if you on a tight budget or only have a few K to do than go for it. But if you want to do a few K per month, it will not last. Just my two cents.

James Wisner
04-12-2010, 10:27 AM
I got one when they first came out, promptly bought a power unit and mounted everything up on it to do 223 cases.

I first had to sharpen the inner pilot/chamfer, as it was not done correctly, outside chamfer is fine the way they make them. Have roughly 9 - 10,000 cases behind it now and it is still running fine.

The power unit was another short story, last year stated having problems after all these years. Finally found out that the screws holding things together underneath had come loose, and had backed off several threads. OK will just tighten them up, WRONG, the unit is assembled and then the cover is riveted in place. So drilled out the rivets, cleaned the screws, lock tighted them in place, relubed the guide rods, tapped the rivet holes for 6 x 32 and used button head allen screws to put the cover back on. Still going strong now.

Would recommend one with any questions if you are going to do a bunch of cases. Have mine set up all the time for 223, but had done sevearl hundred 308 as well.

James Wisner

Firebricker
04-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Thank's guy's sound's like it will work good for what I need. I don't do a ton of trimming but enough that this would help. I also like the idea of the chamfering being done on the trimmer so it's nice and even. FB

7of7
04-12-2010, 11:20 PM
I have the pilots for 30 cal and 223, but I just use the regular pilots for 357, 45, and anything else.. It does work very well, even without the special pilot/deburr piece. Even the straightwall brass grows a bit...
I think it is one of my better purchases... Now I just need to get the power setup for my trim pro... (manual right now)

sdelam
04-13-2010, 09:02 AM
I have the pilots for 30 cal and 223, but I just use the regular pilots for 357, 45, and anything else.. It does work very well, even without the special pilot/deburr piece. Even the straightwall brass grows a bit...
I think it is one of my better purchases... Now I just need to get the power setup for my trim pro... (manual right now)

Replace the handle with a bolt and run a cordless drill on it, I have been using ny Makita for years. I wish i could set up a slide system like the they use though. I just havent found the right motor for free yet. I just cant seem to part with that much money for a small motor on a sliding rail.

winelover
04-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Replace the handle with a bolt and run a cordless drill on it, I have been using ny Makita for years. I wish i could set up a slide system like the they use though. I just havent found the right motor for free yet. I just cant seem to part with that much money for a small motor on a sliding rail.

Yeah---but it sure does take the FATIGUE factor out of the equation.

Winelover

7of7
04-14-2010, 01:12 AM

I have done that, and I am with you, just haven't found the right motor yet... Still gets tiring with it...