PDA

View Full Version : Lyman seating stems- why are they not traded?

Charlie Sometimes
04-11-2010, 10:53 PM
I have a question- :roll:

Why are seating stems not traded and sold here, like the molds and top punches are? :???:
They seem to be a very important part of the process- if top punches are important to the sizing process, then seating stems are the equivlent in reloading the case. :o

Lyman makes them specific to match the boolit profiles just like top punchs. They are marked on top, for example- 374, 374S, 374L.

Correct me here if I am wrong- no suffix letter means standard length, S is for short (used in rifle length M-2 die bodies), and L for long (used in short rifle/pistol length M-1 dies bodies).

So with all the mold swapin' and sellin' going on- where are all the corresponding seating stems being stashed? :coffeecom

Or, better yet, how are you handling the apparent shortage? :coffeecom

04-12-2010, 12:19 AM
I needed a few so placed an order with Lyman.

shotman
04-12-2010, 12:28 AM
I didnt know there was that many/ round and flat is all you need and the round will work for a flat just fill it with some hot lead ans melt it out later

Buckshot
04-12-2010, 02:09 AM
I have a question- :roll:

Why are seating stems not traded and sold here, like the molds and top punches are? :???:

As a rule, most reloading die manufacturers have maybe 3 generic shapes. One with a cone type of some angle they felt best for spitzer types, maybe one for button nosed WC and one for SWC's. I know that RCBS has some accessory seating punches for a couple bullet designs

They seem to be a very important part of the process- if top punches are important to the sizing process, then seating stems are the equivlent in reloading the case. :o

There generally isn't the forced required to seat a bullet into a case as there is in forcing a boolit into a sizing die. A couple other issues is that even if a reloading equipment manufacturer also makes boolit moulds, that portion of the op is treated as a red headed stepchild. Finally, if they DID produce seating stems to match a cast boolit's nose, would they make one for use in their dies for EVERY design out there regardless WHO made it, or just their own? Finally if Lyman top punches are $9, RCBS is $11 and Saeco is $16, who'd pay what they'd charge for a knurled, threaded, and machined seating stem?

Lyman makes them specific to match the boolit profiles just like top punchs. They are marked on top, for example- 374, 374S, 374L.

I know their M die stems are marked (for 30 cal) 30S & 30L, which equals 30 Short and 30 Long. I don't believe the 374, 374S & 374L are seater stems to match a boolit nose profile. If they were to mark them, why not use the same number as the nose punch?

Correct me here if I am wrong- no suffix letter means standard length, S is for short (used in rifle length M-2 die bodies), and L for long (used in short rifle/pistol length M-1 dies bodies).

So with all the mold swapin' and sellin' going on- where are all the corresponding seating stems being stashed? :coffeecom

Or, better yet, how are you handling the apparent shortage? :coffeecom

.............Buckshot

beagle
04-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Use to be that Lyman made a numbered seating screw for every bullet design they made. These were stocked by Lyman dealers in a little orange box or you could order specific numbers from Lyman for $1.00 each.

Then, the money game caught up and they consolidated their numbers and now they only stock RB, flat and spire point seating screws. Fortunately, these work quite well and using a spire point punch and epoxy, you can make about what you want.

I guess the reason that they're not traded is that people make do with what they have and no one wants to trade a seating screw and make a useable set of dies into an orphan set with no seating screw./beagle

Charlie Sometimes
04-12-2010, 09:02 PM
As a rule, most reloading die manufacturers have maybe 3 generic shapes. One with a cone type of some angle they felt best for spitzer types, maybe one for button nosed WC and one for SWC's. I know that RCBS has some accessory seating punches for a couple bullet designs

Yes, RCBS is very generic in this regard. Some of my older RCBS seating stems are marked 44-45 SWC, 44-45 RN, etc. but the ones in newer die sets must be visually identified by looking at the ends! They have all changed styles and methods over the years, I guess.

There generally isn't the forced required to seat a bullet into a case as there is in forcing a boolit into a sizing die. A couple other issues is that even if a reloading equipment manufacturer also makes boolit moulds, that portion of the op is treated as a red headed stepchild. Finally, if they DID produce seating stems to match a cast boolit's nose, would they make one for use in their dies for EVERY design out there regardless WHO made it, or just their own? Finally if Lyman top punches are $9, RCBS is $11 and Saeco is $16, who'd pay what they'd charge for a knurled, threaded, and machined seating stem?

Lyman offers complete expander plugs for $6.50 and seating stems for $4.50- cheaper than compared to the top punch market. Looking at their die parts price list on their web site- they request you specify which profile you need, so apparently they will provide the exact one you need.

I tried using a 467 seating stem (for the 311299) on a 311413 profile and it left a ring indentation on the boolit nose after seating- besides ruining the visual appearance my loaded cartridge, it might now effect the ballistics. Not something you want a lot of, but not a stem easily adapted to otehr boolits profiles. I noticed, after looking through other die sets, that my 22 Hornet came with a 450S, and the 243 Win came with a 450- good stem profile for J-bullets used by most shooters, apparently.

I know their M die stems are marked (for 30 cal) 30S & 30L, which equals 30 Short and 30 Long. I don't believe the 374, 374S & 374L are seater stems to match a boolit nose profile. If they were to mark them, why not use the same number as the nose punch?

I currently have on hand- 190, 374S, 450S, 450, 424, 467S seating stems (they are seating stems- not expanders), and have seen many others at one time or another. Standard length stems (marked with no suffix letter) fit, but are slightly too long to work well in place of a S stem (I tried to interchange th 450 with the 450S)- not much lattitude in adjustment. The threaded section is slightly shorter, and the stem is much shorter also. I don't currently have an L to check that difference.

The number defines the profile, the letter defines the stem length for use with a rifle or pistol seating die body. The longer rounds take short stems, the shorter rounds take long stems, and I guess the medium length rounds take the standard length.

Some of my expanders stems are marked 45R, 22R, and most are blank on top. The expander buttons are marked 45AP, 30R, or unmarked. So these are different parts. R's intended for use with M-2 die bodies (rifle length cartridges), and the other with the shorter M-1 die body (pistol length cartridges). The unmarked ones are just shorter or longer, and you have to look at them to see the difference.

Charlie Sometimes
04-12-2010, 09:16 PM
I guess the reason that they're not traded is that people make do with what they have and no one wants to trade a seating screw and make a useable set of dies into an orphan set with no seating screw.

Don't trade one off without getting one to replace it! :lol: :p

I think it's "funny" that so many serious reloaders and technical types are "making do" (with basically what becomes a sub-standard part) in constructing accurate ammo in the final moments of the process. Proper alignment here should be as critical as in aligning the boolit for the sizing and lubing process. Why go to all the previous trouble, and then slack at the last moment? Doesn't make complete sense to me, but to each his own.

04-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Charlie,
Your 311413 boolit takes a 413 seating stem.

Charlie Sometimes
04-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Charlie,

I know, but like everyone else- I was trying to make do! :bigsmyl2:

It is all I have at the moment- I am going to call Lyman and resolve that situation soon. :-D

04-12-2010, 10:23 PM
I was trying to make do with a 467 stem, in a PA die, when a 465 was called for. Finally ordered the 465. The die is now multi-functional.

Along with the M-die, the ability to order seater stems for a particular Lyman boolit is another reason why I've traded out all my Lee dies for Lyman.

When you call, ask Nancy, she's helpful and knowledgable.

Caveape
04-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Hey! Good job Charlie!
I'm glad I asked you that initial question. It has brought out some good info in this thread.

ktw
04-12-2010, 11:33 PM
Lyman also provided a variety of seating stems for the 310/Trueline die sets that were numbered the same as the Lyman top punches. I have extras of those that I don't use in the event someone is looking to trade into one with a particular nose profile.

-ktw

browntown
07-23-2016, 08:49 PM
Ancient thread, but in case anyone else searches for this info like I did, I found a picture on an ebay auction which specifies which number screw goes with what type/caliber bullet.

BCB
07-25-2016, 07:26 AM
Charlie,

What is the nose profile of that boolit?...

Thanks...BCB

BCB
07-25-2016, 07:27 AM
I was trying to make do with a 467 stem, in a PA die, when a 465 was called for. Finally ordered the 465. The die is now multi-functional.

Along with the M-die, the ability to order seater stems for a particular Lyman boolit is another reason why I've traded out all my Lee dies for Lyman.

When you call, ask Nancy, she's helpful and knowledgable.

Is the 465 for flat-nose boolits?...

I am trying to get one to load the 311041 in my 30-30 Winchesters...

Thanks...BCB

BCB
07-25-2016, 07:32 AM
I e-mailed Lyman about 3 weeks ago concerning the proper seating stem for the 311041 (flat nose). Finally got a reply and they indicated the 465 was the correct stem…

I then called them and got put on hold until I was told to leave a message. So I did—no reply at all yet…

It appears that ordering from Lyman might be a long process and there absolutely is no dealer in this area that handles them…

I looked at Midsouth and Midway but can’t find them listed—maybe they have them but don’t show them online or in their catalogues…

Annoying…

Good-luck…BCB

Ole Joe Clarke
07-25-2016, 08:45 AM
[QUOTE=Charlie Sometimes;867408]I have a question- :roll:

Because it's against the law. :-)

dsh1106
07-25-2016, 09:27 AM
Lyman also provided a variety of seating stems for the 310/Trueline die sets that were numbered the same as the Lyman top punches. I have extras of those that I don't use in the event someone is looking to trade into one with a particular nose profile.

-ktw

I know it's been a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time since your post,

ktw

If you have one, I'd be interested in a #377 to fit my 270 seating die.

Scott