PDA

View Full Version : Remember that grouping problem?

dk17hmr
07-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Awhile back I was asking about my 1911 and the groups I was getting.

Well tonight I tried my Dads Colt Combat Elites barrel on my Springfield frame. I used my barrel bushing and all my parts only different thing was the barrel and the link. I shot some of my cast 200gr SWC's through it and got a 1" at 25 yards with 5 shots the other 3 (8 round mags) made the group about 3", could have been me pulling the shot I dont know.

The only thing with that Colt barrel it doesnt have the same type of ramp on it so I loaded them one by one. At least I know the problem now eh.

DK

grumpy one
07-14-2006, 09:53 PM
Awhile back I was asking about my 1911 and the groups I was getting.

Well tonight I tried my Dads Colt Combat Elites barrel on my Springfield frame. I used my barrel bushing and all my parts only different thing was the barrel and the link. I shot some of my cast 200gr SWC's through it and got a 1" at 25 yards with 5 shots the other 3 (8 round mags) made the group about 3", could have been me pulling the shot I dont know.

The only thing with that Colt barrel it doesnt have the same type of ramp on it so I loaded them one by one. At least I know the problem now eh.

DK

I'm a complete duffer at this 1911 thing, but years ago I had one that didn't shoot very accurately (a very early commercial Colt, still with the long hammer spur). The bore was shot, but I didn't think that was the problem. However the bearing area at the back of the barrel (around the link attachment, where the barrel is supported when closed and locked) was horribly worn and hammered. All I did was get a replacement barrel and link. The link was worn pretty badly, but doesn't actually do anything much once the action is locked, the support comes from the bearing area holding the barrel up into the locking grooves in the slide. Anyway, I guess I can't prove that the problem was the worn and hammered bearing area rather than the lousy bore, but suddenly it stopped rattling and started shooting accurately. The only downside was that the replacement barrel had "45 ACP" stamped on it where you can read it through the ejection port, while the original barrel was not marked at all. Kind of sad, for an early Colt with a C serial number, so I included the old barrel in the deal when I eventually sold it.

Geoff

Char-Gar
07-18-2006, 10:03 PM
As I mentioned in your original post my only experience with a Springfield 1911A1 GI gave me 4 to 5 inch groups at 25 yards. I installed a Commercial Colt barrel and the groups were cut in half or better. You don't have to be too bright to figure out the barrel was the problem.

The Springfield barrel is a two piece gizmo and maybe that has something to do with it. I know lots of folks think highly of the Springfield, but mine had a real bum barrel.

I know one pistol doesn't prove anything, but your experience seems to parallel mine.