PDA

View Full Version : A bloke's wife goes missing

Ron
07-14-2006, 08:25 PM
Some Aussie humour ...................................

A bloke's wife goes missing

A bloke's wife goes missing while holidaying on the North Queensland
coast. He spends a terrible night wondering what could have happened to her.

Next morning there's a knock at the door and he is confronted by a couple
of pretty miserable policemen, the old Sarge and a younger Constable.

The Sarge says, "Mate, we have some news for you, unfortunately some really bad news, but, some good news and maybe some really good news".
"Well," says the bloke, "You'd better let me have it both barrels, what's
the bad news?"

The Sarge says, "I'm really sorry pal, but your wife is dead. Young Bill
here found her lying at about five fathoms in a little cleft in the reef.
He got a line around her and we pulled her up, but she was dead."

The bloke is naturally pretty distressed to hear this and has a bit of a
turn. After a few minutes he pulls himself together and asks what the good
news is.

The sarge says, "Well when we got your wife up there were quite a few
really good sized crays and a swag of legal muddies in and around her wetsuit, so
we've brought you your share." And he hands the bloke a sugar bag with a
couple of nice crays and four or five crabs in it.
"Geez thanks. They're bloody beaut... I guess it's an ill wind and all
that.

Now, what's the really good news?"
"Well", the Sarge says, "me and young Bill here get off duty at around 11
o'clock and we're gonna shoot over there and pull her up again!....you
fancy comin' with us?"

grumpy one
07-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Well I like it, but I'm not sure how well it translates into American.

By the way, I guess some of us would be a bit reluctant to eat sea creatures that had recently dined on a close family member, but perhaps we're over-sensitive.

Geoff.

9.3X62AL
07-14-2006, 10:14 PM
Donner Party, by proxy.

I can think of a couple relatives of mine that would FINALLY become worthwhile as lobster bait.

NVcurmudgeon
07-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Grumpy One, I had no trouble translating the "bloke's wife goes missing" joke into American for the edification of my wife and 26 year old daughter. I knew that nothing was lost in translation because my wife said, "disgusting," and the daughter said, "ew!" It appears that the joke not only made the transition from Aussie into Yank, but also successfully leaped the generation gap.

calaverasslim
07-15-2006, 10:19 AM
Ron: That was a good one. It didn't take any effort to translate in yank

Grumpyone, may I suggest a dose of sugar water? :mrgreen: Just jokin

grumpy one
07-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Grumpy One, I had no trouble translating the "bloke's wife goes missing" joke into American for the edification of my wife and 26 year old daughter. I knew that nothing was lost in translation because my wife said, "disgusting," and the daughter said, "ew!" It appears that the joke not only made the transition from Aussie into Yank, but also successfully leaped the generation gap.

I tried it on my teenage daughter, and she was pretty unenthusiastic too. I was a bit more tentative with my wife - I told her I had a new joke but the daughter didn't much care for it. Wife said nothing and directed her attention to the TV. I guessed I'd been told, and also said nothing. Seems like my preferred jokes have a reputation in the family.

nelson133
07-16-2006, 07:23 AM
That one was originally told as a Maine joke and the catch was lobsters, so converting it back to use in the USA should be easy.

Maineboy
07-17-2006, 03:59 PM
That one was originally told as a Maine joke and the catch was lobsters, so converting it back to use in the USA should be easy.

That's the way I heard it too. It probably has versions for every part of the world!