PDA

View Full Version : undersize lyman mold

brettb75
04-11-2010, 09:41 AM
i have a new 429421 four cavity mold that is dropping bullets at .4275 with wheel weights, and about .4285 with something like no. 2 alloy. i even melted down some hardcast commersial bullets and used that alloy and they are just measuring .4278. this is the replacement mold from lyman, the first one was just as bad. has anyone had similar problems. lyman needs to stop trying to resharpen cherries, or whatever they are doing

Matt_G
04-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Unfortunately, this seems to be par for the course for Lyman over the last year or two. :(
In my opinion, they just don't give a damn anymore.

Try beagling the mould. There is an article on the CastPics site about that.
Go to the bottom of any page of this forum and click the CastPics banner.
Then click "Articles by Members" on the left side.
In the left column near the top click the "Bullet Diameter Enlargement" link.
Perhaps that will help you out.

BTW, welcome to Cast Boolit Heaven! :drinks:

RobS
04-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Lyman has been a real PIA lately with their molds. I have had 4 or so in the last year and they have all been undersized. I kept one as my bore is smaller than usual and the mold worked for my intended application................the rest went back to where I purchased them from which was MidwayUSA and Midsouth Shooters Supply if memory serves me right.

On the other side if I purchase a Lyman mold it will be here on the forum as individuals here will at least let you know what the mold casts out at. RCBS on the other hand have casted at or larger than their specified diameter. Lee is usually oversized a bit too. I have only had my custom molds come out at or just a small bit over specs.

brettb75
04-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the info guys, this has really got me feeling sour towards lyman i think ill just go with mountain molds for now.

Ben
04-11-2010, 01:49 PM
I've come to a point that I'm leery about ordering any NEW Lyman mold. If I can find a 1950's or 1960's mold I'll buy it. I ordered 3 different Lyman 311284 molds over a 5 yr. period. All cast undersized bullets. I've given up on Lyman. I bought a 2 cav. NOE 311284. Every dimension on the cast bullet is perfect ! Swede's quality control is impressive.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66878

captaint
04-11-2010, 02:42 PM
And this is why our custom mold makers here on this board are so busy. Folks want to know what they're getting when they plunk their money down. And we do get what we pay for!!
enjoy Mike

beagle
04-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Send it back again until they get it right. Make them stand behind it. No sense in stuff like that getting out./beagle

mrbill2
04-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Send it back again until they get it right. Make them stand behind it. No sense in stuff like that getting out./beagle

I agree. I've sent them back in the past up to three times and they still don't fix the problem. You end up adding more cost to the mold with all the postage it cost you. There should be some way to make them pay the return postage. After all they are the ones that screwed it up, not the guy that bought the mold.

Ben
04-12-2010, 03:21 PM
mrbill2 :

I've sent them back in the past up to three times and they still don't fix the problem.

Anyone reading your comments here should " think twice " about buying a new Lyman mold. These people need to get their act together.

Ben

brettb75
04-12-2010, 05:26 PM
they absolutely need to get their act together, i think ill just send it to Eric at hollow point mold service to open the bands and make one cavity a hollow point cramer style. thanks for the info guys. ill never buy another new lyman mold.

405WIN
04-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Recently I purchased a new Lyman # 429244 and it did exactly the same thing. I sent it back to Lyman with some sample bullets and in about 2 1/2 weeks I got the mold back and it had been opened up to about .430.
Pretty good service In the end.

mrbill2
04-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Recently I purchased a new Lyman # 429244 and it did exactly the same thing. I sent it back to Lyman with some sample bullets and in about 2 1/2 weeks I got the mold back and it had been opened up to about .430.
Pretty good service In the end.

If they had done it right the first time there would have been no reason to send it back. Did they reimburse you the money you spent for postage? I don't think so. I know people make mistakes, that's why they still put erasers on pencils. I have no problem giving them a shot at fixing their mistake. as long as I don't have to pay the freight.

DistRifle
04-12-2010, 09:23 PM
I had the same problem with a 429640. They cast .427 and .430 (out of round). I sent it back to Lyman and got it back 6 weeks later. I haven't had time to retry it.

Wayne Smith
04-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Brett, go down to the Vendor's board and look at NOE and BaBore's offerings.

machinisttx
04-13-2010, 09:57 PM
I still haven't gotten around to sending my undersized and tapered 429421 back.

Southron Sanders
06-30-2010, 04:16 PM
What is the 'Big Deal' about UNDERSIZE MOULDS! LAP THEM OUT!

It is a simple operation to do and you can end up with a BEAUTIFUL CAVITY that throws BEAUTIFUL BULLETS!

Also, if you know how to use a MICROMETER, you can end up with a mould that throws the EXACT SIZE BULLET YOU WANT!

Ben
06-30-2010, 05:21 PM
I think the " idea" is to buy a mold from someone without all that effort of lapping etc. Don't get me wrong, I lap a lot of molds.

Seems however that any quality control that still exist at Lyman is totally asleep at the wheel.

excess650
06-30-2010, 05:27 PM
What is the 'Big Deal' about UNDERSIZE MOULDS! LAP THEM OUT!]

Reworking the mold shouldn't be the responsibility of the buyer.

I{t is a simple operation to do and you can end up with a BEAUTIFUL CAVITY that throws BEAUTIFUL BULLETS!

Also, if you know how to use a MICROMETER, you can end up with a mould that throws the EXACT SIZE BULLET YOU WANT!

Been there, done that, but who wants to lap out a 4 cavity? Its time consuming, tedious work.

BruceB
06-30-2010, 05:34 PM
The "Big Deal" is that I am NOT buying a "kit" or "partially-finished" product.

I do not want, or expect, to have to make major efforts to transform a mould into what it SHOULD have been when it left the factory. In my estimation, lapping to reach normal dimensions is a major effort, and the necessity for such measures is a serious blot on Lyman's reputation. I too have lapped once in a while, but it was to modify a normal-dimension mould to fit an abnormal need.

It's a rare occasion now when I buy a new-production Lyman mould. I get far better quality and conformity by buying used or new-old-stock Lyman moulds wherever I find them, many being decades old. I believe that says something about Lyman's current quality control with "modern" production equipment....namely, it's the pits, and I won't pay for it.

06-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Amen, Bruce.

Ben
07-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Well spoken Bruce..............

Snyd
07-05-2010, 12:22 PM
I have a 452651 that has the same problem. Casts small out of round bullets. I tried several suggestions given here, cleaning vent lines and mould, etc. I added some linotype to my ww alloy, and have no problem getting the proper size with other moulds. I emailed Lyman and they said send it in for evaluation. I sent it off last week. I haven't heard anything back yet. We shall see.

walltube
07-05-2010, 06:48 PM
I have several Lyman .30 cal. moulds, some are stamped with the prefix '308'. These are the best of the lot. The '311' are not so good, not all mind you, just some. I keep them because they are in very good condition. Easy to figger that one out. Not used too much.

For example: 311290, 311334, 311335, 311467, all making barely .308 dia., all discontinued designs. On the other hand, a 311407 casts a .318 boolit. Go figure! A pristine Ohaus 190S r n @ .3075; a very disappointing first cast.

All is not lost, 'Beagle' made the day for me, the "U" moulds now casting at acceptable specs. If I MUST have another mould it will be SAECO, RCBS or NOE.

My 2 sou,
Wt.

leadman
07-08-2010, 07:48 PM
I bought a Lyman for my 41magnum after sending 2 RCBS molds back because the mold halves did not match. The bullet had a step at the top and bottom of the bullet.

The Lyman was casting at .408". I had heard so much about their undersize molds and I needed to make bullets so I lapped it out. It now drops .411" bullets that are round and smooth!

Lyman will not be seeing my business if I can avoid it.

GabbyM
07-08-2010, 10:58 PM
I've returned a couple moulds direct back to Lyman. They always recut them. Of course you don't get it back for a few weeks. Plus I was out one way on the shipping. I've had bad RCBS and Saeco moulds too. Frustrating to say the least.

With a four cavity plus that much undersized I'd send it back. Would be very hard to get four cavities matched up plus after the cavity gets round they are very hard to enlarge after that.