PDA

View Full Version : been shooting black for years

wild thing
04-11-2010, 08:31 AM
Been shooting black powder for years but still have questions . I haave 5 or 6 muzzle loader rifles and a couple of six guns. Got started in Cartridge rifles a couple years ago when I had C Sharps make up a 38-55 High wall for me.It Has a 15 inch twist .With a Hoch mould at 310 grs. I get prety good groups but I want to use or try to get a 330 bullet to shoot. Any idea where to start for loads would help. thanks for the great welcome to your shooting site.

NickSS
04-12-2010, 05:01 AM
I have used a 330 gr LBT bullet in my C Sharps high wall pushed by 38 gr of FFG Goex. It gave good accuracy. Currently I mostly shoot either a 250 LFP or a 310 gr NEI RN bullet over 45 or 42 gr of FFG respectively. My rifle likes FFG better than FFFG for some reason as I get better accuracy with it. Both loads will pring sub 2 MOA groups at 200 yards which these days is about as good as I can shoot with anything using iron sights.

Boz330
04-12-2010, 10:09 AM
47gr of 2F Swiss compressed about .250 and the Lyman 335gr boolit which is a scaled down Postel design. This shoots very well from my CSA 75. Like Nick I get better groups from the 2F than 3F. For hunting I use the Lee 250gr flat point, but with the 15 twist the Lyman shoots much better groups. The Lee is easily minute of deer though.

Bob

BPCR Bill
04-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Ahhh, the 38-55. Is your rifle chambered in the original longer dimensions, or the short modern chamber length? In BPCR you are going to have to deal with issues such as seating depth, neck tension in the cartridge case, crimping (or not), combinations of primer and powder, how much (if any) powder compression. Is this rifle going to be used for hunting, target work, or both? What is your definition of "Pretty good" groups? Nick has 2MOA at 200 yards, which is the maximum range for the Schuetzen discipline, but that's just a starter for BPCR Silhouette and the Buffalo gong shoots. The 330 grain boolits work pretty well at the longer distances (you still have to hit the 500 meter rams pretty centered to tip them over with any regularity). Most of the succesful competetive shooters are using Swiss powders. Seems Swiss 1.5F or 2F are working best. Nick has some good starting loads listed, and I'd go with that. As for my advice, I've left the realm of reality and fixed ammunition for the Schuetzen game and breech seating. And I'm still trying to make it work.

Regards,
Bill

wild thing
04-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Pretty good for the 310 hoch is around an inch at 100yards .that is using 43.1 grains fff Swiss. Rifle is chambered for the short cartridge. I will try some loads with the 330 gr as soon as I can get some made up. thanks for the advice . real name's john

Kenny Wasserburger
04-12-2010, 03:09 PM
I have had good luck with the Lyman and FFF Goex around 44 grs with quite a bit of compression. Best groups were sub MOA at 200 on a pretty regular basis. Bullet sized to .376.

I ended up having it rechambered to a 38-50 much more powder capacity and lots more fun to shoot, planing on running it this year in Silhouette.

KW
The Lunger