PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 PP fire lap load

barrabruce
04-11-2010, 06:40 AM
Talking to a bloke at the range today!!!!
He's got a pretty dirty green/grey bore he wants to clean up.

He's gunna chase up a lee whack'em die to load with as he never loaded for it for the amount of ammo he used out of it.

30-06

I can do him a few PP projo's and have some powders.

Bulleye
Unique
Ar 2206h

For a some rounds to clean 'er up a bit
What would you recommend???
Load wise.

May take a bit but it'll get done eventually.

cheers
Barra

Newly elected Vice "el presedent'e at the local range ( they don't know what there in for ..or me for that matter) :holysheep

First on the agenda...emu parades to pick up lead boolits for my melting pot [smilie=w: :twisted:

6.5 mike
04-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Bruce, I'ld try a 185ish bore rider style boolit & 16 grs of 2400, wrapped .0015/.002 over groove diameter. This has worked for me cleaning up a 303 sav. If it's real bad, coat nose of boolit with valve lapping compound (400 grit) just before firing. I use a cotton tip swab to put the lappping compound on & single load to keep mess down.

Three44s
04-11-2010, 09:35 AM
What about a few soaking sessions in ammonia?

Three 44s

barrabruce
04-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Yeah thanks for the input.

Iv'e instructed him to use a bit of bore cleaner /copper solvent and a good scrubbing with corbin brass brillo pad thingo's and see if that works.
then clean that out of it a few times over.
And then oil it down.

Also maybe after firing a few shots clean and scub and see if that takes the dullness out of it.

He seemed interested in my lee whack'em loader and is keen on loading rounds for it instead of coughing up for a new press and dies he won't use that often.(Like me he has an 'old simplex fine threaded press)

I think he may have left some jacketed fouling in it and has gone oxidised over time.
Not having actually see the gun I can't tell for sure.
Nor the extend of his wows

This is for down the track if he needs it.

Thanks

Bruce

303Guy
04-12-2010, 04:26 AM
Then there's Scotch Brite abrasive pads. I push a patch or the stuff through from the breach, turn it inside out and repeat, then use a new piece. It might take a good few abrasive pad patches to get copper out. A 'fire-lap bullet' on the other hand ..... !

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-565F-1.jpg