PDA

View Full Version : Lube stick mold?

Southern Son
04-11-2010, 05:24 AM
I did a few searches, but I cannot find the threads. I need to know what size to make the molds so I can make up a bunch of lube sticks for my Saeco Sizer. I am mainly wanting the length of the sticks. I tried pouring melted lube directly into the sizer and slightly over filled it, leaving me with the fun job of digging it out so I could put the top back on. Any help will be appriciated. I am most appriciative of the fellow that posted how he filled his lube sizer without the dies in it. Had I not read about it, I would have done it.

94Doug
04-11-2010, 05:53 AM
Wow, I do recall at one time a while back, using PVC tubes and such. I cannot recall much more, I'm afraid. A freezer was involved to cool the lube to get it out of the pipes.

c.robertson
04-11-2010, 07:51 AM
SOUTHERN SON, check post below "My shot at home hollow lube." Ecellent examples there, in particular the last one. The one I did was a learning experience with problems now corrected. Good luck.

NuJudge
04-11-2010, 10:01 AM
I don't make up sticks of lube, the lube I use most melts in the microwave, and I just pour it in.

If you are using a Star and melt lube to fill your reservoir, you do not want to fill the reservoir too full, or you'll have quite the mess. Fill it up to the vent, but no further.

The best two links I've seen for stick making are here:
http://www.castingstuff.com/lead_smelter_and_lube_making.htm
http://www.castingstuff.com/lead_smelter_and_lube_making.htm

Southern Son
04-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I was thinking a mold with the PVC pipes, but I don't need the hole through the middle. I was mainly worried about getting the length right (don't want to keep topping the sizer up cause I made it too short, but too long won't let me put the top back on).

Thanks again.

D Crockett
04-12-2010, 11:04 AM
it is easy to make lube moulds (1) you need 4in pvc pipe with a 1inch inside die. (2) end caps the flat kind for each of #1 that you are using (3) a piece of board any kind I use a 2x8 to screw the end caps to if you are making solid sticks of lube ---B --- if doing hollow sticks take a 1/4 in drill and drill a hole in the center of the end cap and into the board to put a piece of 1/4 in dial rod into (4) you will need a 1in wood dial rod to push out the sticks with (5) pore in your liquid lube let get hard and push it out of the mould I made up a tool to take mine out of the mould with that works real easy if any one want one of my lube removers pm me D Crockett

ReloaderFred
04-12-2010, 11:55 AM
I save the plastic tubes that AirBorne comes in and use those. They have a cap on the end to seal them until you're ready to use them. You just cut off the solid end when you're ready to push them out of the tube and they're the perfect size for all of my sizers.

Hope this helps.

Fred

fredj338
04-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I was thinking a mold with the PVC pipes, but I don't need the hole through the middle. I was mainly worried about getting the length right (don't want to keep topping the sizer up cause I made it too short, but too long won't let me put the top back on).

Thanks again.

1" PVC works great. I split mine in half, cover the bottom w/ foil tight, hold it all together w/ rubberbands & pour the lube in. Then just spearate the halves & you are good to go. Maybe I'll see if I can get a Forster bit the right size & bore some holes in a 2x4 to hold them, but they will stand on there own for pouring lube into them.

cajun shooter
04-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Use the pvc ends instead of foil. They are easy to use. Buy some cheap cooking spray and spray the inside before pouring in your lube. It lets it come out very easy. Buy a piece of wooden 1"dowel for pushing out the lube from the pvc. If you find it too long, cut it witrh a knife and use it later.

Caliboose
04-14-2010, 02:43 PM
I get free paper tubes intended to roll quarters from my bank. I fold the bottom up and stable it. I peel the paper off when ready to use. Works for me.

Caliboose