PDA

View Full Version : Soft gas checks

DanM
07-14-2006, 05:35 PM
first post from a long time caster, and lurker....

I have almost used up my last supply of C.S. Ventures soft gas check material, and am looking for a substitute, since they have gone out of business. Very cool stuff. Red, hard wax sheets, 4"x6"x3/16". Just push it down, cookie cutter fashion, onto the charged case before seating your boolit. Works great with WW boolits loaded hot. At least with my 44mag, 45, and 454 loads. Have not tried it with rifle boolits. I am now pretty much just tumble lubing my hand gun fodder. I do have about 6 sticks of Lithi Bee lube held back. Maybe I can roll it out thin and get the same benefits as with the C.S. Venture product. I don't mean that I have a big problem with leading, but this stuff allowed for some very hot loads with no leading to clean up. Easy to use and worked well....

Dale53
07-14-2006, 10:20 PM
DanM;
C.F. Ventures "soft gas checks" looks EXACTLY like dental wax. My son is a Dentist and he gave me a box of the stuff and it seems to be the same stuff. Ask your local dentist what he would charge you for a box of dental wax - they are the same shape, size,color, and thickness.

I have both but have tried neither.

FWIW
Dale53

DanM
07-15-2006, 10:13 AM
Dang....You are right! I googled dental wax, and it looks identical to the CF Ventures product. Found several suppliers. If it is truly the same stuff, then I will be using it regularly. Good info....

Bad Flynch
07-15-2006, 01:01 PM
You can use plain beeswax by making your own sheets. The composition of the stuff is not critical compared to the fact that you use it. Sheets can be poured into a mold, built up on the surface of a large jar filled with water and then unrolled, or floated on the surface of hot water and allowed to cool. Any other technique that actually works is just fine, too.

trooperdan
07-15-2006, 01:47 PM
I think Cabin Tree, one of the members here, also makes an extruder die that will squeeze out a ribbon of lube from a stick. As I recall it makes a ribbon about an inch wide. You could use whatever lube you have on hand that was. I suspect there are a lot of variations on the composition of dental wax.