PDA

View Full Version : Groupie Gas Checks

sundog
05-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Anyone use any yet? What results?

Last night after half the town turned out for a concert in honor of my birthday (actually it was the grandson's HS Spring Concert - but I still thought it kinda nice that they did it on my bd) we went home and I started getting stuff together for this Saturday's Mil Bolt match. That includED loading a fresh batch of match ammo. I used the groupie buy of 30 cal GCs. Nice job! Very uniform. They are tighter going through the .310 sizer than the Hdy's I been using. We'll see Saturday if they shoost any different. One observation so far is that they are ever so slightly convex, even after being seated. sundog

Ed Barrett
05-04-2005, 11:53 AM
I have only used the .35 caliber so far on some 35 Rem bullets that have been aging for a year waiting for some gas checks. they seemed to take the same pressure for the 100 bullets I put them on. I'm planning on taking the 336 out this weekent to try them if the weather holds.

45 2.1
05-04-2005, 05:40 PM
I've used them on a bunch of Fat 30s from the first run. They held fine when sized .314" and shot fine also. I noted the same thing you did and it isn't as tall as the Hornady is either. Good checks though. Another group buy would be a good thing.

JSH
05-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Ditto to the 30's here too. Worked fine so far. They are some really nice checks. Seem to seat easier and end up looking better than the Hornadys.
I have not tried any of the 35's yet or the 375's. I really have the itch to get the 375WW going ASAP. Am still short a lube die for this one. Going to order one this evening.
I to would be interested in another order of GC's if this would come about later in the year.
Jeff

sundog
05-05-2005, 09:03 AM
I finished my run of boolits for Satruday's match last night. I confirmed my first observation that after running through a .310 die, which required a firmer stroke than the Hdys, the check is ever so slightly convex. Stand the checked boolit on end and it wobble ever so slightly. This was an exceptionally good run of boolits (30-180-SP), even for me, and they REALLY look good with the checks all exactly uniform and FWFL. We'll see Saturday how they fair in a match. Wx forecast is conducive (that means the wind will be somewhere below gale force). sundog

sundog
05-08-2005, 08:42 AM
Well, Saturday was not match day, silly me, it's next Saturday. But I did go shoot some of the new gas checks anyway. Other than that, standard match load. After shooting an odd number, I put 10 in a group of separate target. 2.015 at a hunert out of my old 03A3, and it was windy. Save two that opened the group going a little high the other eight were way under the 2 inch mark. Didn't think to measure them, but was prolly 'round 1.5 with a couple doubles. So, first outing for me with the new checks was very successful. sundog