PDA

View Full Version : annealing

desteve811
04-10-2010, 09:56 PM
In between which step during the case prep process do you anneal brass?

lurch
04-10-2010, 11:00 PM
If I'm going to anneal my brass, I clean the as fired brass then anneal, clean again and then load as normal. The second cleaning is a very light cleaning. I don't know if that is right wrong or otherwise, but has worked fine so far...

Recluse
04-10-2010, 11:04 PM
If I'm going to anneal my brass, I clean the as fired brass then anneal, clean again and then load as normal. The second cleaning is a very light cleaning. I don't know if that is right wrong or otherwise, but has worked fine so far...

Pretty much what I do.

I clean the brass first so I can inspect it--it may not be worth annealing.

After I anneal it, I put it back in the tumbler. Afterwards, I treat it like any other brass to be reloaded.

:coffee:

desteve811
04-10-2010, 11:16 PM
actually i meant before or after the resizing/trimming process

Shiloh
04-11-2010, 08:40 AM
I size, (LEE collet neck sizer), and trim (Wilson Trimmer) after annealing.

Shiloh

cajun shooter
05-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Clean, then anneal, then load

badgeredd
05-02-2010, 12:55 PM
actually i meant before or after the resizing/trimming process

Generally, I anneal after sizing and trimming...but I can't tell you why. It just seemed like the right order when I started reloading and it has stuck. :bigsmyl2:

When I form brass from other cartridges I have found that it kinda depends on how much is being reformed and how radical the process is. My advice in that case is to try it both ways and see which works best for you personally. My biggest problem has been when pushing a shoulder back. It seems that each case has it's own likes and dislikes, but usually I anneal after pushing the shoulder back..

Edd

Maven
05-02-2010, 01:08 PM
I anneal new or 1x fired milsurp brass with headstamps earlier than 1980. I also anneal commercial brass that's been fired 5x or more times. Lastly, when I reform brass (usually .30-06 -> 8 x 57mm), I anneal after all other operations have been performed. However, I sometimes reform brass that's harder than normal and that requires an initial anneal as well as a final one.

montana_charlie
05-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Generally, I anneal after sizing and trimming...but I can't tell you why. It just seemed like the right order when I started reloading...
I wonder why that seemed correct to you.
Annealing is done at the factory...well before you get to trim or size new brass.

When you decide to anneal, in order to regain the same softness the factory supplied, doesn't it stand to reason that it should still come before trimming and sizing?

To put it another way..
Annealed brass trims easier because it's softer.
It sizes differently (than hard brass) because it doesn't spring back the same.

It seems most efficient to put the metal in the desired condition first...then prep it for reloading.

CM