PDA

View Full Version : $203.00 out the door

6.5 mike
04-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Went to the range yesterday & had a m96 swede follow me to the house. The nose cap & upper sling band doesn't match, everything else, including fireing pin, does. Has all the correct stamps & inspectors marks. 1906 with sling, quick release for sling, & cleaning rod. This one has a walnut stock & handguard.
Now the not so good news, it's been d&ted, redfield 1 pc base with redfield rings, 6.5x20 simmons scope. Whoever did the work thought this out well, slotted the handguard band, notched the handguard for the base, & used the bolt handle shaped like the pre-wars had with the pear shaped knob. Finished cleaning her up today, metal is in very very good shape, handguard also, stock has some dings & scrapes but nothing bad. Barrel slugs 0.255/0.2665, looks like I've found my cast boolit shooter.
BTW, got 2 boxes of factory loads also.

StarMetal
04-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Went to the range yesterday & had a m96 swede follow me to the house. The nose cap & upper sling band doesn't match, everything else, including fireing pin, does. Has all the correct stamps & inspectors marks. 1906 with sling, quick release for sling, & cleaning rod. This one has a walnut stock & handguard.
Now the not so good news, it's been d&ted, redfield 1 pc base with redfield rings, 6.5x20 simmons scope. Whoever did the work thought this out well, slotted the handguard band, notched the handguard for the base, & used the bolt handle shaped like the pre-wars had with the pear shaped knob. Finished cleaning her up today, metal is in very very good shape, handguard also, stock has some dings & scrapes but nothing bad. Barrel slugs 0.255/0.2665, looks like I've found my cast boolit shooter.
BTW, got 2 boxes of factory loads also.

Great find and good price. Sounds a lot like mine that was D&T'ed for Weaver bases, bent custom bolt handle, and Timney trigger. Got mine for $170. So you done very well. Have fun and enjoy it.

mtgrs737
04-11-2010, 12:41 PM
You have a fine rifle there! The Swedes built excellent rifles and my two have excellent bores that I attribute to the quality of the swedish steel and care given to them over the years. Both of mine wear Elit diopter sigts and globe type front sights which helps my aging eyes. Enjoy your bargain purchase!

Tristan
04-11-2010, 02:18 PM
For $203 as described, you got a great deal. I'd have ripped my pocket off getting to my wallet. ;-)

Got pics?

Cowboy5780
04-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Ok 6.5 i can see how disappointed you are just send it to me and i'll send youre money back i hate it you got such a bad deal lol.....

6.5 mike
04-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks everyboby, I wo'nt get to shoot it til I get back of the boat next time, but I'll let yall know how it does. The other two I have that are scoped almost get boring after about 10 rounds.
mtgrs 737, I've read about those sights, but never have seen them for real, very nice & I know all about the old eyes thing lol.
Cowboy 5780, do you want this one, or the m/38 I got for $80.00 a couple years back ? (figure the odds lol).
I think now it's time to send babore some money, got 5 of these to feed. 2 bubbaed, an m/96 not touched, the m/38, now this one. Guess I'll have to give the sharps & hiwall a rest.

6.5 mike
04-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Star metal Joe, is that the rifle your'e using for the hv testing, or BaBore,s tests ?
I really like the looks of both his molds, like to try the kutz in my 6.5 JDJ contender barrel as Jones does'nt recommend 140's.

6.5 mike
04-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Went to the range today with the swede. Only had the bad word rounds to shoot but was very, very happy with the results. Only shot 10 rds, first 2 low & right touching. Tweeked scope, next 2 centered & touching. Last 4 grouped 1 in.
I used ppu ammo as I have a fair amount to set aside for this one only, Anyone have a good cruise missle load ? Gas checks where here when I got in yesterday
& I'm going to cast some this time in. I'm a real happy camper.
BTW, shot at 50 & 100 yds.

StarMetal
04-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Star metal Joe, is that the rifle your'e using for the hv testing, or BaBore,s tests ?
I really like the looks of both his molds, like to try the kutz in my 6.5 JDJ contender barrel as Jones does'nt recommend 140's.

Mike,

I only have the one M96 Swede and that's the one I do all the tests with. Before I got the Swede I done the test with a 6.5x54MS that I built on a Savage 110 action. I've shot good groups in the Swede with both the group buy Kurtz and BaBores remake of it, but they require a different load and powder. I'm happy that BaBore's bullet shoots as I don't own the mold for the group buy Kurtz.

6.5 mike
04-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Thanks Joe, I had read through the old 6.5 posts while I was on the boat & that reminded me you have a 6.5x54 ms. I think this one will be a real shooter once I find the right load for it. And if I want speed, I'll paper patch as I've really gotten caught up with that.
BTW, forgot to say I got 50# of soft lead & about 30# of range scrap for 0 dollars to boot. This was a real good day.

smlekid
04-29-2010, 05:59 PM
these are fantastic rifles I've yet to see one that wouldn't shoot my own 1907 M96 has a barrel I'd call fair and it still shoots better than I can hold it
the best deal I ever got on a Swede was a near new M38 for $150 (Australian peso's) I did just about rip my pocket off getting my wallet out!!!!