PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 22 caliber ??

dragonrider
04-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Marlin 1897................Marlin 39A .....are these the same gun or different models??????
The reason I am asking is my neighbor has a Marlin lever 22 cal. that is very old and missing the breech bolt. In my searching the info I found also references 39A. Seems to me to be the same gun but I am not familiar with them. Also it appears that the 39A is a desirable gun, yes????? Numrich does not have the parts available, any info on were also to look????

NickSS
04-10-2010, 02:16 PM
The 97 was the forerunner of the 39A and I do not know if their bolts are interchangable. Most gun makers want the rifle returned to them for fitting of a bolt. I would suggest you contact Marlin and ask them if they can fit a new bolt to a Model 97

Bent Ramrod
04-10-2010, 04:09 PM
I had a Marlin 1897 and after a certain amount of firing, the breech bolt crystallized and broke in half. A gunsmith managed to make it work with a 39 bolt (he had to replace the lever as well, as the front of it was worn) but it took a noticeable amount of filing and fitting, and the action was never quite as smooth afterwards, although it did feed, fire and eject OK.

I don't know where he got the breech bolt and lever; would guess he ordered them from Marlin.

mack1
04-10-2010, 10:11 PM
There are parts avalible for the 97 I do not remember the name but a googel search for marlin 1897 parts should turn up something.

Jon K
04-10-2010, 11:46 PM
.22 Breech bolts are not available, unless you find one laying around............GRAB IT!!!

Jon

Multigunner
04-11-2010, 12:08 AM
I inquired about parts for a Marlin autoloader several years ago and the parts list I got said you'd have to send a Marlin back to the factory for repairs, I don't know if that has changed. Egunparts sells used and new parts for most American rifles, you might find a bolt there.
They buy up old guns and strip them for usable parts, so they may have a servicable used original bolt.

Not all their stock is listed on the site so a letter inquiring about a part might turn up something.

dragonrider
04-11-2010, 12:09 PM
I may have found one at Chas. Jones Gun Parts. but it says FFL required??? Anyone know why???

James Wisner
04-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Yes the newer 39 - 39A - 39AS, bolts can be fitted to the old 1897 rilfes.

A couple of things, they were ONLY SAFE for Standard Veloicty ammo prior to about 1932

That is why the 39's marked HS are OK for High Speed Ammo, Marlin changed one cut in the bolt to beef it up for the High Speed Ammo, to prevent the bolt from cracking.

The current Marlin Breech Bolts will only be sold outside of the factory to a Qualified Gunsmith. Just look in the parts book to see what that ( * ) means in the parts book.

There are minor things differnet with the lever vs breech bolt, these have to be fitted as well.

Many years ago when my Father was back at the Marlin factory. He was a Service Center for Marlin from the early 1980's until 1995. He was told by one old worker, ( who only had 45 years working for Marlin ) that there were 5 different shaped lever fronts from the model 1891 to 39A. Each model had a change in the lever, and the carrier stud, also the breech bolt locking area.

In short, it can be done, but you have to get the part first, and find someone who can fit the part without messing up the rifle.

James Wisner

pietro
04-11-2010, 08:34 PM
[I may have found one at Chas. Jones Gun Parts. but it says FFL required??? Anyone know why??? ]

It is a liability issue, since it's considered "unsafe" for anyone other than a certified/qualified gunsmith to install/fit certain parts.

IOW, it's not a kitchen table job, and somebody could be seriously hurt or killed because of a botched job.

dragonrider
04-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Valuable information, thanks.

armexman
04-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Hola, if you can have a gunsmith do the work, then,,,, try "Jack First" Gunparts in Rapid City, SD