PDA

View Full Version : micro wax

phishroy
04-10-2010, 11:34 AM
I got hold of some really flexible microwax 180, this stuff bends easily and is pliable like putty.
Is their any contraindications as to using straight paraffin as a lubricant in smokless?
Im thinking of putting some of this stuff in my sizer and trying it out straight as is , not mixing it with anything.
Any reason why i shouldn’t?

bohokii
04-10-2010, 03:23 PM
my orthodontist used to give me stips of that stuff to put on my braces as a child i always wondered how it was so soft and a candle is so brittle

i think it has silicone in it

gray wolf
04-10-2010, 04:42 PM
I have been using micro-crystalline wax in my 45 acp for two seasons now, Got it free as a sample from a wax manufacturer. 125* and one is about 140*. Pure white in color, pliable,
And one is softer than the other. I mix 4 Oz. of the wax with a little Jojoba oil --crayon for color. It has worked very well for my 45 auto.

Thecyberguy
04-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Hi Gray Wolf,

Where does one find "micro-crystalline wax:? and at what cost?
Thanks for the help and have a good 'un, Guy

gray wolf
04-11-2010, 01:54 PM
micro-crystalline wax--if you do a net search it will come up. I went right to the people that manufacture the waxes. It is not to expensive, I can't say for sure cause the wax I got was a sample. A pound will fill my 450 sizer about 4 times so a little goes a long way.
OK hold on here and I will look for the name of the place I got my wax from. I have to walk 25 feet to the other end of the camp. OK I'm back.

This is what I found.
Frank B Ross Co. Inc.
Ross Waxes--Telephone--732-669-0810 state of New Jersey

The wax I got was #1275W and 1275WH melt point is 160*-165*
This may be a little high melting for very cold outside Temps. They have lower also.
I think they had about 15 different ones at the time I called.
Ask also of them what they mean by, penetration @ 77*F.

phishroy
04-11-2010, 02:05 PM
I was told they do a needle penetration test on the wax, this is how they standardize it i guess.
Different microwax will have different softness (depth of needle penetration).
They apply a standard force or weight applied over a period of time and then they measure how deep the needle penetrated the wax.
Higher penetration means softer wax.
The one i got hold of has a penetration of 33 and the wax is very soft, can bend a bar of 2 inch thick in my hands. I’m not sure if its 33 cm or inch or some other unit but this is just to give an idea.

Thecyberguy
04-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks, I will check it out. have a good 'un, Guy