PDA

View Full Version : Ask The Experts

Beekeeper
04-10-2010, 10:33 AM
I am looking for data on firing pin protrusion!
I have a .308 Mauser that the pin does not protrude enough to fire every time so I get a lot of FTF.
If I recock it it will fire the 2nd time (most of the time anyway).
Have checked it with a depth micrometer and found it only a few thousanths different from a similar Mauser that works well.
Does any one know where to look?
Did a search and found nothing but my search skills leave a lot to be desired.
If you don't know the right words you get garbage.

Would appreciate any help!

Jim

Cactus Farmer
04-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Whay is your protusion now? What was the measurement on the other bolt assy.? 0.055 to 0.060 in the number for rimfires. Take the other cocking piece and swap it with yours. Measure both bolts with the guts swapped. I've never seen a Mauser that had this problem that wasn't a crud in the bolt body....clean the inside with a bore brush and a probe to get into the corners.
Please report back on your progress. Lewis

jhrosier
04-10-2010, 10:22 PM
... Does any one know where to look?...

Just a thought....check your headspace.
A too-deep chamber could make your firing pin seem too short.
As mentioned, make sure your bolt is very clean. Anything that slows down the firing pin could be a problem, like congealed oil.
Striker springs are not all created equal. A heavier spring might give more positive ignition.

Jack

EMC45
04-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Headspace or crud is what I'm thinking.

Molly
04-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Headspace or crud is what I'm thinking.

Good logic, but some mauser chambers are so deep the round actually headspaces on the extractor. Check the extractor too.

johnlaw484
04-12-2010, 02:53 AM
I had a small ring mauser that would FTF, come to find the safety was blocking firing pin to some degree to cause the pin to slow down, thus causing a light strike on the primer.

Just a thought.

Beekeeper
04-12-2010, 10:56 AM
OK heres what I found.
The firing pin nut had a burr in it and would not allow it to screw on all the way.
It was a .015 thousanths difference and caused the FTF.
Figured out how to clean threads and works fine now.

Jim

82nd airborne
04-13-2010, 05:05 PM
I know this will sound dumn, but what is FTF?

Wally
04-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Failure to Fire

82nd airborne
04-13-2010, 09:51 PM
yeah i am an idiot. thanks wally. and i spelt dumb wrong!

bruce drake
04-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Just goes to show that an occasional detailed disassembly and cleaning will solve or identify most problems.

Glad you were able to fix the issue without a trip to the Gunsmith and 4-6 months of downtime on the rifle.

Bruce