PDA

View Full Version : Unique, Universal, or HS-6

hcpookie
04-10-2010, 08:34 AM
My buddy and I have been testing different powders looking for that "one size fits all" powder to make it easier on the budget.

We're planning to load for .380, 9mm, 10mm, .40 SW, .45 ACP, 45 Winmag, and 12 gauge slugs. According to the reloading manuals and powder sites, all three of these powders should satisfy our needs with few exceptions.

So far we've had good success with HS-6 and Unique, and plan to test Universal next.

Are there any recommendations of one over the other? Are any one of these harder on barrels than the others?

Freightman
04-10-2010, 09:24 AM
I love HS-6 but if I had to choose only one it would be Unique, HS-6 is great in my 45 Colt loads but it takes less powder to get the same results with Unique. Also I use a lot of Unique in my 41 Swiss and 45/70's it is "UNIQUE" I think that is why the name.

Rocky Raab
04-10-2010, 10:46 AM
The reason they call it "Universal" ...

wiljen
04-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Dont forget Rex III or SR7625 as both of these are in the same burn rate as well. SR7625 could be thought of as single based unique and meters exceptionally well.

geargnasher
04-10-2010, 12:24 PM
I have no experience with the powders WilJen recommended, but I would go with HS6 if it were me. HS6 gives outstanding velocity for a given pressure in straight-walled cases and works very well in heavy shotloads. It also meters like a dream.

If you want milder performance for the heavy stuff and much better economy all around, use Unique. I love Universal, but it isn't quite as versatile as Unique (compare .380 data, pressure vs. velocity, with 12-gauge heavy field or Buck loads between the two powders). If you find a powder measuring device that works well with Unique, let me know.

Gear

felix
04-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Actually, Gear, single base powders are better for boolits if and when you can use them on a cost-benefit basis. So, if someone has a keg of powder suggested by Will for a delivered sale, I would not hesitate to purchase. Double base powders generally have a longer shelf life under the same storage conditions, but for most shooters the powder will be used up long before potential damage. ... felix

Lloyd Smale
04-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Unique is hard to replace but if it was for some reason discontinued i could live with power pistol in its place. Ive had better luck with pp and unique for accuracy then i have universal in handgun loads.

Rocky Raab
04-10-2010, 07:17 PM
geargnasher, I just loaded up a batch of test ammo using Unique today. Every load spot on at 7.5 grains.

RCBS digital dispenser/scale.

deerslayer
04-11-2010, 12:14 PM
I use unique for my .45 auto and 9mm and it works great for me in both of those. It meters very well for me in the lee pro auto disk. I usually have to use a size larger cavity than the book says to get proper weight of powder but it is very consistent for me anyway.

mooman76
04-11-2010, 12:44 PM
I use allot of Unique. A little dirty but you have to clean anyway. It works in almost every pistol application and allot of cast bullet rifle loads too!

wallenba
04-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Win 231 covers a lot of pistol. It is a flattened ball powder that meters well from dispensers and burns clean too. Watch your revolvers for flame cutting though with hot loads.

thx997303
04-11-2010, 01:35 PM
I loaded up 50 rounds of 9mm the other day.

Was loading 4 grains Unique, thrown from a Lee perfect powder measure and I weighed every charge.

Nevr had to re throw a charge.