PDA

View Full Version : Savage ?

joatmon
04-09-2010, 10:38 PM
I am gathering barrels, headspace gauges and barrel nut wrench for a switch barrel project. All seems to be going well but I wonder about feeding issues! The
bolt head will be switched between 06 and mag size( I have a 223 sized short action for the small ones). Needing to now get the action for these two, would the 06 sized long action or the mag action come a little closer to feeding each or is this another hair brained idea?:coffeecom

P.S. Would a clip feed model take care of the feeding issue?

Three44s
04-10-2010, 12:03 AM
Your endeavor is hardly hair brained!

Here is a community with answers to questions you have not even thought of yet:

http://www.savageshooters.com/SavageForum/

I heartedly recommend the paid membership there ..... quite inexpensive! You can register first and decide later but the features available as a paid member are too good to pass up!

In a relatively short time, I too acquired several barrels, another stock and accomplished my first build .... a conversion from 7mm Rem Mag to .25-06 and the acquisition of a second long action Savage.

I have learned the various triggers and changed and successfully adjusted it to perfection .......

ALL because my short association with the above web site.

What Cast boolits is to the art and science of bullet casting ......

......... Savage shooters is to Savage rifles and the owning and tinkering with them!

I can't answer your question about a detachable magazine handling standard magnum rounds and '06 based cartridges .... my guess is no. I suspect that you will need an 06 type DM to ensure successful functioning ....... but my only basis is my experience with the fixed magazine of my rifle ..... the 7mm rem mag follower and box do not work with .25-06 rounds. My yet to arrive 116 receiver has an 06 box and I'm counting on that one to fix the problem.

Three 44s

fireball168
04-10-2010, 07:57 AM
....would the 06 sized long action or the mag action come a little closer to feeding each or is this another hair brained idea?:

The standard long action(25-06/30-06, etc.) and the standard magnum action(7mm Remington Magnum/338 Winchester Magnum, etc.) are identical other than the bolt head, magazine box and follower.

Once you determine if you've got a staggered feed model(magazine box attached to the action/some detachables) or newer centerfeed model(magazine box stays with the stock/detachable) - just pick up the bits appropriate to your cartridge and swap them back and forth.

joatmon
04-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the awnsers, and the site. As of now I have a 204 mod 12 with an extra 223 barrel and barrels in 7 mag and 300 win mag, looking for a rem take off in 338 mag for the long action. As gunbroker auctions permit I will get 06 size based barrels in 270,30-06,308,22-250 and others to play with. Thanks again Aaron