PDA

View Full Version : Brass

Luper
04-09-2010, 07:12 PM
I've finally started collecting brass for reloading and I have a couple questions? First, the brass I find is really dirty after being fired from my hi-point,will this affect accuracy or cause any other negative side effects? Also what happens when I use brass with different headstamps? Finally, can I reload nickel-plated cases? Thanks in advance guys.

mooman76
04-09-2010, 07:45 PM
You brass is real dirty because of the powder used. Some powders burn cleaner and some burn cleaner only when used near top end. No it won't hurt the brass, it will clean off. You can use brass of different headstamps, allot of reloaders do but for more consistancy use the same. You can load nickle brass, I do. Some don't like to use nickle because they claim it scratches dies and for verious other reasons. Some like it better. It's just personal choice.

excavman
04-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Dirty brass can cause wear in the resizing die, you can clean them by hand or use a case polisher. Brass with different headstamps/brand names will have slightly different powder capacity which will cause variation in the internal pressure when it is fired. Variation in pressure causes variation in velocity which will move the bullet point of impact on the target. It is difficult enough getting the bullet to go where you want without adding other complications. Nickle cases can be reloaded but tend to split after one or two loadings, I try to avoid them.

Larry