PDA

View Full Version : Will this work for smelting?

Bkid
04-09-2010, 06:48 PM
http://www.agrisupply.com/propane-cooker-with-one-buner-cast-/p/56913/cn/5400001/

RKJ
04-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Bkid, I assume that by "low pressure" it uses the small propane tanks. I used my Coleman stove that used the small tanks, it was going to cost me a small fortune. Of course what I find too expensive others might not think is so bad. I got a 1000W hot plate from Walgreens for $10.00 http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Appliances/Single-Buffet-Range/ID=prod6000168&navCount=2&navAction=push-product and it works great. I haven't figured yet how much it costs (electric) but I can use it and not have to worry about running out of fuel.

Wayne Smith
04-09-2010, 09:23 PM
My Coleman 2 burner was designed to run on the small, 1lb tanks. It's been running fine for years on the 20lb tank I bought and hooked up to it.

Bkid
04-09-2010, 10:37 PM
I think I want something with more power. urg urg.

deerslayer
04-09-2010, 11:35 PM
See if you can find the btu out put of it? My turkey frier is about 40,000 btu and will only keep about 120 lbs melted at one time. Which tells me that 1,000 BTU is good for around three pounds. Now remember lead weighs about 95 lbs per gallon so fill that six qaurt dutch oven 2/3 full and you will need a minimum of 32,000 btu. Now of course heat losses and ambient temp all will play into this.
If it were me I would go bigger such as a turkey frier or get a big burner and manufacture the base for the burner and pot depending on your skill level. You may be saying you will melt a little at a time and I did that at first. But for consistency IMHO the more that is in the pot at the same time the better. I have a propane tank cut in half to melt in that works great because I can put every thing in and get a consistent mix all alloyed together properly. Much better than my small batches. Thats my thoughts hope that helps

deerslayer
04-09-2010, 11:40 PM
OK just checked. On that same site you can get a 170,000 btu high pressure burner for 7.99 and the regulator for it for 14.99. Now that will do some lead you will have to build the stand yourself but that would get the job done. I might look into one myself!! Or go to turkey friers dot com and you can get a high pressure turkey frier base that is 185,000 btu for $39.99 w/ regulator and no building required.

Bkid
04-10-2010, 12:04 AM
OK just checked. On that same site you can get a 170,000 btu high pressure burner for 7.99 and the regulator for it for 14.99. Now that will do some lead you will have to build the stand yourself but that would get the job done. I might look into one myself!! Or go to turkey friers dot com and you can get a high pressure turkey frier base that is 185,000 btu for $39.99 w/ regulator and no building required.

Thank you Deerslayer that is a killer deal. You are the Man.:drinks:

deerslayer
04-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Glad I could help! Now I may have to order one for me!!

Bkid
04-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Glad I could help! Now I may have to order one for me!!

Hey we are helping the economy.

Now what to do for a pot, I seen a large stainless steel pot at a garage sale. I wonder if that will work? Dutch oven better?

deerslayer
04-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Old 20 lb propane tank can be cut in half with a sawsall in about 5 minutes works great and the rounded bottom insures strength and integrity when heated as well as allowing you to get just about every drop out with a ladle. Or if you can get a piece of sch 40 steel the right size and put a plate on it for the bottom.
I think the stainless would work at least a few times but I would rather have something heavier if it is gonna be full of molten lead near my feet. The propane tank works great mine, I cut just above the weld and it will hold a bunch of wheel weights about half a bucket at a time and when they melt they barely cover the bottom of the tank. I had 130 lbs in mine and it was not even half full.
Just my thoughts, but there are people here who could make a chicken dinner from a bag of flour, so ask around I am sure there is a better/cheaper way to do it. Nate

deerslayer
04-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Oh by the way BKID that bigger burner may require a bigger tank to prevent freezing depending on the ambient temp and humidity. If you don't have one at least have a few 20 pounders so if it freezes up you can switch it out.

Bkid
04-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Oh by the way BKID that bigger burner may require a bigger tank to prevent freezing depending on the ambient temp and humidity. If you don't have one at least have a few 20 pounders so if it freezes up you can switch it out.
Is it safe to cut open a propan tank it won`t blow up. I should remove the top or anything impaticular I could do? 30lb tank work?

Bulletlube
04-11-2010, 06:44 PM
My turkey fryer works just fine for my pot which holds about 250 lbs. I hang it from my cable hoist at the end of my pole barn so that all the weight is not on the fryer, with a fan blowing out.

klcarroll
04-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Old 20 lb propane tank can be cut in half with a sawsall in about 5 minutes works great and the rounded bottom insures strength and integrity when heated as well as allowing you to get just about every drop out with a ladle............

@Deerslayer;

I am slapping myself on the forehead and making Homer Simpson "DOH!" sounds!!!!

........Somehow, I hadn't thought of that!!!

:groner:

Kent

waksupi
04-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Is it safe to cut open a propan tank it won`t blow up. I should remove the top or anything impaticular I could do? 30lb tank work?

I unscrewed the valve, rinsed with water a couple times, then let sit overnight full of water before cutting.

deerslayer
04-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Safety, as said above and to be honest somone else on here gave me the idea I did not think of it but I do not remember who to credit! Just remember propane is heavier than air so after valve removal leave upside down for a minute then you can fill it with water. It will still smell like propane till you heat it a few times. I let mine sit outside a few days after cutting to get rid of the mercapten smell.
As far as a 30 lb cylinder I would still keep two on hand for freezeups alot will depend on ambient temp and humidity and how hard you are using it. Unless you have 200 lbs of lead or more you probably won't need 185,000 btu but it sure is nice to have it if you need it or to melt it a little faster.

Bkid
04-11-2010, 10:29 PM
I wonder if a 5 quart dutch oven from Walmart for 20.00 would work for now?

deerslayer
04-11-2010, 10:34 PM
I don't see why not!!

David2011
04-11-2010, 10:55 PM
If you have a Harbor Freight nearby you might check their prices on Dutch ovens too. I hate getting Chinese stuff but it's no different at WalMart now so you might as well go for the best price. I think mine was $12.95 3 years ago.

David

Bkid
04-11-2010, 11:27 PM
I think this killer fryer will heat that dutch oven up pretty darn quick. I can always weld something up later.

deerslayer
04-12-2010, 01:31 AM
The cast iron should take the heat just bring it up easy and don't cool it to quick and it should be ok. If you hit a cold pot with 185,000 btu it could be a problem but i am not sure. Be a sport try it and let us know.

Bkid
04-12-2010, 08:26 AM
The cast iron should take the heat just bring it up easy and don't cool it to quick and it should be ok. If you hit a cold pot with 185,000 btu it could be a problem but i am not sure. Be a sport try it and let us know.

Ok will do thanks for the advice. I will see about the rest of my needs now for casting the boolits themselves. I like the Lee 4 20 casting pot,and I may have to wait on it for a bit. I can laddle pour untill then maybe?

RedneckAlbertan
04-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Not knowing much about casting Does the mercapten that has been in a propane tank have ny effect o the cast bullits?

deerslayer
04-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Mine didn't smell and they look good so I guess not. If you are gonna ladle pour you probably want to do it in a different pot and on a electric burner may be easier when you are only doing ten or twenty pounds. Don't make the mistake I did and smelt/pour all out of the same pot now that I am not doing that my boolits are nice, before they left some things to be desired as far as appearance although they shot fine they were ugly.

Bkid
04-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Mine didn't smell and they look good so I guess not. If you are gonna ladle pour you probably want to do it in a different pot and on a electric burner may be easier when you are only doing ten or twenty pounds. Don't make the mistake I did and smelt/pour all out of the same pot now that I am not doing that my boolits are nice, before they left some things to be desired as far as appearance although they shot fine they were ugly.

I did it , just bought the LEE casting 4 20 pot,and my 6 cavity molds, sizer and lube ALOX. Now am off to get WW. That is the easy part for me. I know people.:bigsmyl2:

deerslayer
04-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Good Luck!!

Bkid
04-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Good Luck!!

Is that a GOOD Luck , like I am not going to have sucess with one of the above items? Or Just GOOD luck!
Which ever it is , I would really like to thank you for all of your help.