PDA

View Full Version : Another 1911 question ?

Digger
04-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Thanks again to Emc45 and Mtgrs737 for the help on my Springfield compact sight , works great!

I also have one of the early Daly wanna be 1911's and it shoots great surprisingly and accurate.
The thing is it has a four inch barrel and what class of 1911's does that put it in as far as length ?
When one looks for parts the dealers have categories under Commander , officers etc. or series 70 , 80 ?"
This one I have no fear of playing amateur gun smith with and learning a little , nothing drastic , just generic maintenance parts in the future since it is one of the low ball 1911's out there.

any tips would be greatly appreciated.

digger

kywoodwrkr
04-09-2010, 04:38 PM
The frame size will detemine which you have I think.
I've read that Commanders came in 4"(4.25" std). On standard frame.
I've read that Officers came in 4"(and Less). On reduced frame.
Now you know as much as I do.
No, you have the firearm in hand, therefore you are one up at least.

lead4me
04-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks again to Emc45 and Mtgrs737 for the help on my Springfield compact sight , works great!

I also have one of the early Daly wanna be 1911's and it shoots great surprisingly and accurate.
The thing is it has a four inch barrel and what class of 1911's does that put it in as far as length ?
When one looks for parts the dealers have categories under Commander , officers etc. or series 70 , 80 ?"
This one I have no fear of playing amateur gun smith with and learning a little , nothing drastic , just generic maintenance parts in the future since it is one of the low ball 1911's out there.

any tips would be greatly appreciated.

digger

Full size 1911...5"

Commander 1911...4"

Officers 1911....3 1/2"

StrawHat
04-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Not sure where a 4" barrel would fall. The full size 1911 is 5" and the Commander is 4 1/4". I would guess it to be a Commander size but maybe not. Of course, I don't own a 1911 so my knowledge is merely what I have gleaned from the Colt site, not hands on.

Digger
04-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Thank you so much for the input gentlemen ! .. , you have helped a lot here and with your tips it appears to be in the Commander size class.
May be I am looking a gift horse in the mouth with my slightly negative outlook at quality, reputation as it basically is a good 1911.
Will do some work down the road on the extractor as it occasionally throws the shells straight back at my face.
Something like SHOOT AND DUCK !! .....:D
Other than that situation it is a nice piece to have !!
Thanks again

digger

StarMetal
04-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Thank you so much for the input gentlemen ! .. , you have helped a lot here and with your tips it appears to be in the Commander size class.
May be I am looking a gift horse in the mouth with my slightly negative outlook at quality, reputation as it basically is a good 1911.
Will do some work down the road on the extractor as it occasionally throws the shells straight back at my face.
Something like SHOOT AND DUCK !! .....:D
Other than that situation it is a nice piece to have !!
Thanks again

digger

It's not entirely the extractor that decides where the empty casings get tossed, it's the ejector nose shape.

Digger
04-10-2010, 07:40 PM
And that is one other point to take in to consideration also ....I will modify or replace the ejector first to see if there is any difference in operation .
Thank you StarMetal for your suggestion !

digger ...:coffee: