PDA

View Full Version : Bad day at Black Rock

Shooter6br
04-09-2010, 01:31 PM
At range had a sqib load in my 45 ACP did not notice I had a bullet logde in barrel. Barrel destroyed nothing else 45 acp AMT

oldhickory
04-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Very lucky!

P.K.
04-09-2010, 01:43 PM
OUCH!!! Glad your o-k!

littlejack
04-09-2010, 01:57 PM
I don't believe in luck. You were definately blessed. The Lord has other plans for you. Good to hear you are OK, and that if one of us has the same problem, there may be a chance for survival.
Jack

fourarmed
04-09-2010, 02:53 PM
At our bullseye league years ago, the same thing happened. It did not burst the barrel, just bulged it. Probably because he was shooting light loads.

454PB
04-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Yes, you were lucky.

In the last few years, I've had two squibs that lodged a boolit in the barrel. Both were in revolvers and were caught before another round was fired.

About 2 weeks ago I was at the shooting range and a group of about 5 young guys (all 30 or less) were "machine gunning" their semi-autos......emptying the magazines as fast as they could pull the trigger. It creeps me out now, imagining what would happen if one was a squib.

targetshootr
04-09-2010, 04:19 PM
That's scary to think about. At the range a few weeks ago a guy next to me was shooting his new Vaquero and made a squib sound and started pulling the hammer back again. Before he dropped the hammer I yelled and sure nuff, he had one an inch into the barrel that we hammered out.

fourarmed
04-09-2010, 05:49 PM
I have seen a S&W 686 barrel that was filled with bullets. The guy just kept shooting! You could see a bulge on the outer surface, but it wasn't pronounced. Weird.

35remington
04-09-2010, 06:52 PM
"Machine gunning" rounds rapids fire isn't that hazardous in an automatic if you get a squib. The squib won't cycle the action because the bullet didn't leave the barrel. Rapid fire won't have anything to do with it, as slow fire or rapid, the gun won't chamber another round unless you hand cycle it yourself, which is where the problems come in.

Action/reaction, that is.

What's hazardous is having a squib and not clearing the barrel or looking down it after a squib or failure to fire is apparent.

An auto handles a squib far better than a revolver. At least when the gun does not function you have more of a clue as to what went wrong. The not paying attention part is what will cost you.

AnthonyB
04-09-2010, 08:33 PM
I split the barrel of a Kimber Compact Stainless about ten years ago. I was shooting up a load the pistol didn't like, and was getting about 1 in 10 failures to feed. When it didn't feed, I'd just rack the slide and fire again. Load was too light to function the action well, and recoil was nothing, so I didn't notice the squib load with the background noise of a 40 S&W shooter next to me. Immediately knew something was wrong when TWO new holes appeared in the target well out of the group. That cost me a new barrel, and the split one still has a place of honor directly above the powder measure on my bench - I see it every time I throw a charge.
Tony

BPCR Bill
04-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Now that you mention it, our chief NRA instructor had a couple squibs in one afternoon. We had just gotten done teaching a basic pistol class, and had some range time to ourselves. During the class, all the instructors had said we had never had a squib load when we were discussing that aspect of shooting. Lo & Behold, I was shooting next to our esteemed chief instructor, and he had a feeble little pop in his revolver. We cleared the barrel, and he reloaded the cyinder. Again, I witness the feeble pop of the squib load. He promptly took all his reloads home and pulled bullets.

Regards,
Bill

Frank
04-10-2010, 12:00 AM
BCPR Bill said
Lo & Behold, I was shooting next to our esteemed chief instructor, and he had a feeble little pop in his revolver. We cleared the barrel, and he reloaded the cyinder. Again, I witness the feeble pop of the squib load. He promptly took all his reloads home and pulled bullets.

He came in like a lion, and left like a little puppy with the tail between his legs. :mrgreen:

Shooter6br
04-10-2010, 10:29 AM
pic of barrel. I bought a Sig 250 in 45ACP

desteve811
04-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Thats why i always check the powder level in all my cases before seating a bullet. You are very lucky, glad you are ok.

missionary5155
04-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Good morning
And sometimes powder just dies in a case over the years... especially IF one of the boolit bases was badly contaminated with lube...
I check my cases also for powder level.. but that does not ever mean everything is alright. BUT it is just another verification all is well.