I am loading a k98 with light round ball loads

My oal is 2.420 they will not feed through the Magazine

also at 2.428 some of the balls will stick in the bore so its 2.420

They dont feed well 1 round at a time

Any tips on how to feed 1 round at a time

Thanks for any help

chboats
04-08-2010, 08:08 PM
try just laying the round on the follower and pushing it in with the bolt. Doing this is a little hard on the brass and the extractor because the extractor must be pushed over the case rim. Also I believe Midway has a follower made for single feeding.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=8&categoryId=12958&categoryString=649***20766***9144***

Don't know if it would work

TNsailorman
04-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Another way is to pull the bolt back holding the bolt stop out to remove the bolt, slip the cartridge up from the bottom until it locks under the extractor, and slowly put the bolt back into the rifle and closing the bolt. I do this all the time to check brass fit to the chamber after I have converted some 30-06 military brass(usually Greek and Korean) into 8x57 mauser brass. Works for me. James

Multigunner
04-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Push in on the spring portion of the extractor while closing the bolt.
I did this when I had a mauser, though that was so long ago I forget exactly how I did it. I think I used the finger tips of the lefthand with that hand curled under the magazine box at center of gravity.

Its a bit clumsey at first but you get used to it.

I've modified mauser extractors for single feed, and some mausers once used as training rifles can be found with that modification, but I don't recomend it.

NVcurmudgeon
04-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Try going with the design when shooting Mausers. Press each cartridge into the magazine, joining controlled feeding instead of fighting it.

DCP
04-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Try going with the design when shooting Mausers. Press each cartridge into the magazine, joining controlled feeding instead of fighting it.

If I press a round into Magazine even if I load slowly they jam because there short.

Unless I am missing something

izzyjoe
04-09-2010, 08:57 PM
mauser's are made to feed from the mag. any other way is just troublesome. no sence in going against the wind. but it's your party have fun pardner.

DCP
04-09-2010, 09:29 PM
mauser's are made to feed from the mag. any other way is just troublesome. no sence in going against the wind. but it's your party have fun pardner.

This isnt rocket science

THEY WONT FEED FROM THE MAGAZINE. THERE TOO SHORT

So as far your concerned I should just give up because of a DUMB German design?

Thanks so much for the help

Multigunner
04-09-2010, 10:36 PM
This isnt rocket science

THEY WONT FEED FROM THE MAGAZINE. THERE TOO SHORT

So as far your concerned I should just give up because of a DUMB German design?

Thanks so much for the help

Don't get excited, try the method I suggested, it does work.

The rear portion of the extractor acts as its spring, pushing in on the unsupported center section relieves pressure enough to snap over the rim.

The extractor blade can be beveled to ease single feeding, but I wouldn't suggest altering a K98 still in full military trim.

I have single loaded empty cases, using the once fired primer as a snapper for dry fire practice.

Easing the rim up under the extractor and pulling the neck up with a finger so it doesn't catch on anything before entering the chamber.

You can also lay the round with neck in the chamber and push the casehead down against the follower while closing the bolt, the rim will ride up under the extractor.

I use this method with my Enfield even though its extractor allows single feeding, just to reduce stress on the extractor spring.

NickSS
04-10-2010, 12:20 AM
Try inserting the cartridge partially into the chamber and pressing the rear into the magazine. Then close the bolt. The rear of the cartridge should slip into the feed lips and seat the shell as normal. I have done this with other controlled feed rifles with good success. Normally only the neck needs to be on the feed ramp for this to work.

blastit37
04-10-2010, 01:55 AM
Just lay the angle of the bevel on the end of the extractor back until its diameter is greater than the diameter of the case lip. Don't make the margin on the inside of the extractor lip any narrower, that will weaken it. We do this all the time on our military bench rest shooting rifles when using light loads. Pushing the shell into the chamber then closing the bolt pushing the extractor over the rim helps keep the powder at the bottom of the case. I believe thats the way a Springfield 1903 works with the mag cut-off on. Get the angle right and the extractor pops over with a pleasing click and does absolutely no damage it. Its also the way you would load a mauser with 6 rounds otherwise there would be no need for the bevel on a mauser extractor.

DCP
04-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Try inserting the cartridge partially into the chamber and pressing the rear into the magazine. Then close the bolt. The rear of the cartridge should slip into the feed lips and seat the shell as normal. I have done this with other controlled feed rifles with good success. Normally only the neck needs to be on the feed ramp for this to work.

This worked very good

I will try the others Ideas

Thanks to all