PDA

View Full Version : If I were a rich man... yadda, yadda, yadda...

PatMarlin
07-13-2006, 10:57 AM
I'm not one big on engraving, but this is a rembrandt IMO...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=52403865

One of the finest peices of work tastefully done I've ever seen. Priced reasonable too for a rich guy... :mrgreen:

He needs to fire his photographer though.

versifier
07-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Beautiful piece of work. Could you imagine expecting to get that much money out of a sale and not even mentioning what caliber it's chambered for?

PatMarlin
07-13-2006, 11:59 AM
30-06 isn't it?

I gotta go back and look.

Baldy
07-13-2006, 12:00 PM
I like to look at them beautys but then I always wonder how they would shoot or if they can shoot. I was talking to a man many years ago that had five rifles like that and none had fireing pins in them. He said some shows that he went to didn't allow them to be in working condition. I am sure that one fires but I would inquire anyway. I didn't ask about what show's but it sure wasn't the ones I go to. [smilie=1:

PatMarlin
07-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Yep... the honorable 30-06... :drinks:

waksupi
07-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Well, dealing with high end arms on a regular basis, I can tell you this. The rifle is a fine piece, assuming the inletting matches the quality of the engraving, and wood work. If one of you wants to make an investment, this one will go up in value, and with proper marketing, it could be sold immediately in a good gun show, for probably double his asking price. If I had the spare money, I would be on this, like a chicken on a June bug.

9.3X62AL
07-14-2006, 12:24 AM
Beautiful piece, no doubt about it.

Not my style--at all. Firearms are ultimately made to be USED, and I would be most reluctant to take such an example through buckbrush, blackberries, manzanita, and chamise. If I have to endure gun show diatribe to double my money.....well, you can find me in the bar, thank you. Purgatory is made up largely of Winchester collectors and their odious pontifications. Dante's 9th level contains Judas, Hitler, Pol Pot, Luger fascists, and any other heretic that would buff off bluing and leave the bore uncleaned.

PatMarlin
07-14-2006, 12:45 AM
I wish I knew more about this business.

I've got an eye for nice work, and this is it for sure, but if I knew I could double my money, I would get the money. Be damn near like getting it from a loan shark, but I could get it.

Bucks Owin
07-14-2006, 02:14 AM
Definately a beautiful piece of art!

But I'm like Deputy Al, I like my guns to be "shooters" and not "safe queens". If I was rich enough I'd buy it as an investment....(And fire it from the bench of course...:roll: )

Be a cool "Centennial gun" being an '06 huh?

Dennis

Bucks Owin
07-14-2006, 02:15 AM
Beautiful piece of work. Could you imagine expecting to get that much money out of a sale and not even mentioning what caliber it's chambered for?

Yore eyes are as bad as my ears! [smilie=1:

Dennis :-D

PatMarlin
07-14-2006, 09:22 AM
It will be interesting to see what it goes for if it does sell. One red flag is this is a re-listing, and he did drop his price $1000. No bidders on the last run.

I only swim in waters where I know the bottom is.. :mrgreen:

I'm turning my Model 70 into a safe queen, cept for bench shooting, cause it's just to nice to take a chance on damaging out hunting, which I thought that's what I was gonna do.

When the value has already jumped $400 I had to reconsider my position.. :mrgreen:

PatMarlin
07-14-2006, 09:29 AM
Check this out:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=52124589

This guy has been selling many Model 70's lately, and they all have been commanding premium amounts. He just re-lists them til he gets his price, and so far he has.

I get an email notice of every Pre-64 Model 70 that's sold on Gun Broker just for kicks, to get an idea of the market, and business is brisk.. :mrgreen:

Bucks Owin
07-14-2006, 01:37 PM
I have five p-64 M-70s at present (Actually one is a M-54) and have no intention of ever retiring them from shooting. That's what they were made to do. (And they do it so well!!) That's why they are "The Rifleman's Rifle" :-D

FWIW,

Dennis

In my experience with Model 70s, it's a rare one that won't shoot MOA with a little bit of "fussing" with them....(Bedding, load etc)

swampmaster
07-14-2006, 05:43 PM
I would be innterested in buying it but not in a the current caliber

ebner glocken
07-15-2006, 10:50 AM
That's nice w/o being "too much". Too bad it's WAY out of my price range.

PatMarlin
07-15-2006, 11:13 AM
No bids on her yet.. [smilie=1:

-maybe he'll be hirtin' and take an offer of $500... :mrgreen: