PDA

View Full Version : lanolin option

highwall
04-08-2010, 07:28 AM
Hi folks, new to the forum. So, I will apologize in advance if this has been posted before. I can rarely find Anhydrous Lanolin in my local stores. Hydrous Lanolin (with water) is sometimes on the pharmacy shelves. Works just fine if you melt it down and cook the water out of it. Requires a watchful eye and frequent stirring as not to burn the lanolin. Be sure you have cooked out all the water before adding to a hot lube! You do not want to add any water to a hot wax/oil mix. Messy and hazardous results if you do.

Highwall

Tom-ADC
04-08-2010, 09:41 AM
I give up trying to find anhydrous lanolin locally so I ordered it on line. They didn't have a clue what lanolin of any type was.

Calamity Jake
04-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Good idea if Anhydrous is hard to find locally, but most hydrous lanolin is mixed with other ingrendants to form the cosmetic items used by the women folk.

You can have your pharmisist order the medical grade Anhydrous(expensive)or you can get it from any candle making supply. thesage.com is one and fromnaturewithlove.com is another,
a 2# jar is enough for a life time supply of boolit and spray case lube.

sqlbullet
04-08-2010, 12:24 PM
I sub mink oil. Both are in the sebum family, and my felix lube works great with mink oil which is easy to find.

dromia
04-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Wiljen has been running a GB for lanolin, stearic acid and carauba wax. You may still be able to squeeze in if you PM him.

The thread is here:

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=76175

highwall
04-08-2010, 01:00 PM
I sub mink oil. Both are in the sebum family, and my felix lube works great with mink oil which is easy to find.

Speaking of mink oil, Track of the Wolf is a good source for mink oil. Their product is actually more of a mink tallow in consistency. Sold in 6 ounce tins as
Trapper's Pure Mink Oil. You don't need much of it into anything for beneficial results.

Highwall

357maximum
04-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Speaking of mink oil, Track of the Wolf is a good source for mink oil. Their product is actually more of a mink tallow in consistency. Sold in 6 ounce tins as
Trapper's Pure Mink Oil. You don't need much of it into anything for beneficial results.

Highwall

Fiebing's sells two brands of Mink oil. One is "MINK OIL" (yelllow grease) the other is "MINK OIL PASTE" (white tallowy paste) the paste version is very very very very similar to TOTW's mink oil. I use it the same as tracks would be used and it works the same, has the same consistency and the same cetyl alcohol type smell. The local hardware sells it for about $5 and there is no shipping. Oddly enough Fiebing's paste also comes in a 6oz plastic "tin".

If I take a tin of Young Country arms 103 , tracks mink oil, and Fiebing's paste and remove the label I bet you would not be able to tell them apart..........and they all come in 6oz plastic tins..........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I buy my anhydrous lanolin at the hippie health food store in a purple tub from NOW products. NOW also sells a liquid lanolin that I use with 90% alcohol for spray on case lube. Slippery is as slippery does. :)

Dale53
04-08-2010, 04:12 PM
I get my Anhydrous Lanolin from:

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html#Lanolin

I got a couple of friends to go in on a small "group buy" with me to minimize shipping costs. Good stuff!

Dale53

Hip's Ax
04-08-2010, 05:43 PM
I buy my lanolin from EBay.

cajun shooter
04-09-2010, 09:36 AM
I buy the NOW products from a store that is listed with Amazon. They sell the 100% Lanolin in 7 oz jars for $4.50. It does wonders for the final results of your lube.

Lloyd Smale
04-10-2010, 07:12 AM
I made my first batch years ago with hyrdrous lanolin and it all dried up and fell off of the bullets. I dont know if the same thing would happen if you took the water out first but id guess youd still have to replace the moisture with some kind of oil.

Ron
04-10-2010, 07:27 AM
Pay a visit to your friendly vet and ask him to order in some "animal grade" anhydrous lanolin and Castor oil. You will save a bundle on doing it this way. My vet got mine for me, I think I paid AU$23.00 per Litre for the lanolin and AU$21.00 per litre for the castor oil which was his cost price from his supplier. Vets use both products for treating animals, especially the farm type of beast.