PDA

View Full Version : Wallgreens hot plate for smelting?

saz
04-08-2010, 03:47 AM
I have read some posts about using an electric hot plate for smelting, and the consensus seems to be that if you have something that is putting out at least 900 watts that you should have enough "oompf" to smelt wheel weights etc..... I can get my hands on a cheap old SS 4 qt pot to use also. I have been looking into the $10 wallgreens hotplate that is rated at 1000 watts. I will also use it for preheating molds when I am casting out of my lee 4-20. What do you think? Will it work?

Bret4207
04-08-2010, 07:29 AM
It will work, but it's slower than a turkey fryer or plumbers furnace. But it's faster than using a propane torch or using your BP casting pot. I use an 1100w Walmart hot plate and a stainless cup holding over 25 lbs of alloy for much of my casting. After 30+ years I'm just now giving a BP a try, a SAECO, not a Lee! I tried a Lee and the frustration level was too high. I love Lees stuff, just not that pot.

saz
04-09-2010, 01:45 AM
Well I picked up a hot plate from walgreens and found a heavy flat bottomed stainless pot at the thrift store. We will see how all this turns out......

Bret4207
04-09-2010, 07:29 AM
As long as it's the open coil and not the "smooth top" type you should be okay.

chris in va
04-09-2010, 02:54 PM
25#, wow. I have a hotplate and 8" skillet, probably holds about 3-4# of melted lead. Couldn't imagine sitting that much weight on one of these suckers.

Oh and a little trick...the plate doesn't have enought muscle to melt fully, there will be a 1/2" crust around the perimeter. Toss in small bits of candle and light the smoke...melts it right down.

saz
04-10-2010, 04:10 AM
It worked fine. It just took a little bit to get into a rhythm. Once I had a few ingots made, I pulled out my pot and warmed it up to do some casting. Wound up casting some 45 cal boolits while I was waiting on the ww's to melt, skim and add some more. It was slow going but worth it. I had a blast today smelting and casting at the same time- I learned a lot.

Bret4207
04-10-2010, 08:09 AM
25#, wow. I have a hotplate and 8" skillet, probably holds about 3-4# of melted lead. Couldn't imagine sitting that much weight on one of these suckers.

Oh and a little trick...the plate doesn't have enought muscle to melt fully, there will be a 1/2" crust around the perimeter. Toss in small bits of candle and light the smoke...melts it right down.

I use 25 lbs for the conversations sake. It will hold over 40 lbs. My particular HP has braces that hold the weight rather well. Just lucky as I never gave it a thought when I bought it.

That crust you mention sounds like maybe surface tension might be part of the problem. If you flux does it melt in?

You can also add a shield around the "burner" to get a little more heat to the pot.