PDA

View Full Version : newbie needs help

kotik
07-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Dear Gents,
I have never done any casting for rifle bullets{only shotgun slugs) and would like to know what is the step by step procedure.

Many thanks in advance
:(
PS I have a very tight budget and the bullet would be fired from a not very good (8mm) barrel:(

Bass Ackward
07-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Dear Gents,
I have never done any casting for rifle bullets{only shotgun slugs) and would like to know what is the step by step procedure.

Many thanks in advance
PS I have a very tight budget and the bullet would be fired from a not very good (8mm) barrel:(

Kotik,

Welcome to the nut house.

Boy did you ask a loaded question. How loaded? Well this board has been created just for problems associated with step by step.

I suggest that you use the search function across the top bar on the home page for cast bullets and start searching for topics you want information on. Lyamn has dedicated several books to this subject and it is going to be hard to cover in one post. Then we can address specific questions. If you search "All Catagories" then you will get a lot of 8MM stuff from the military rifles section.

sundog
07-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Maybe you should get someone to gift you a few different boolits to try before investing on more equipment. If they won't shoot in that not very good bore, no reason to chase through the huckleberry patch. sundog

Rick N Bama
07-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Have you slugged your bore? I can provide you with some samples from my Lee 8MM Karabiner mold which drops at about .327". I size them to .325" and lube with Felix lube. From my Yugo rework, it's a good a shooting boolit. Shoot me a PM if you want some.

Rick

7br
07-13-2006, 12:18 PM
Note: I doubt if any of us follow the same steps.

I would be generally peruse the forum. Lots of info and a lot of it will recycle itself.

Second process: Capture some wheel weights from the wild and domesticate them. A lot of us will use a separate pot for rendering wheel weights. A coleman stove and a cheap steel pot work nice for this. You will probably need to clean your wheel weights first. Make sure they are very dry when you start to render them. Trapped moisture under the melt will turn into steam, which in turn will escape and carry a significant amount of molten lead with it.

Third Process: Make some bullets.
This includes casting them - Can be lead ladled from a pot off of a coleman stove or a bottom pour pot. Lee makes an inexpensive pot, but they have issues.

Sizing (or not) depending how the cast bullets fit your firearm- Usually a lubrisizer or a lee push through die.

Lubing - If you use a lubrisizer in the sizing step, this is taken care of for you. You can tumble lube with liquid alox which is to put the bullets in a plastic bag, squirt alox on them, swish them around, then let them dry. You can also pan lube which is to put the bullets in a shallow pan and melt the lube around the bullets until the lube grooves are filled.

Load, shoot, cuss or sing depending on the situation.

Fourth process: Buy alot more stuff to play with.

This is the 35000ft over view.

Duckiller
07-13-2006, 02:06 PM
kotic: Just do it. I got started casting .45 cal lead round balls for my daughter's school project. Daughter got an A and I ended up with GOOD sling shot ammo. If you make a mistake you can always remelt. Try different way ,just be careful and don't get water near melt.

Bigjohn
07-13-2006, 03:16 PM
kotik;

If I read your post right, you have some experience with shotgun slugs?

The process is about the same for rifle projectiles. Depending on the type of equipment you are using, just make sure the metal is hot enough.

Sort and return any wrinkled boolits to the pot at the end of the session.

Most molds require a break in period, normally upto the first fifty (ballpark figure) boolits.

Their are many books published on the subject both by Wolfe publishing and the NRA

Wolfe have 'The Art of Bullet Casting' and the NRA 'Cast Bullets by Col. E. H. Harrison'.

I have both and they are good books which I would recommend plus there are others as well.

John.

44man
07-13-2006, 03:45 PM
Yeah, that is a loaded question alright. Pages and pages needed and 1,000,000 different opinions, all of witch work. I don't think anyone will bite on this! If you have made good slugs, just keep going, then if something isn't right, come back and ask.

John Boy
07-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Kotek ... Read the links posted on this thread ...
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=8100

swheeler
07-14-2006, 11:55 AM
That "not very good 8mm barrel" might be a lot better than you think, if you shoot a boolit that fits!

9.3X62AL
07-14-2006, 12:13 PM
To expand on S Wheeler's text a bit, I would submit that most of the "failures" cited in shooting cast boolits in rifles can be traced to poor fit--that is, undersized boolits. Get them to fit the throat, and 90% of your problems are resolved.

Slug the bore and throat, then report back.

wills
07-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Dear Gents,

Many thanks in advance

Here is one discussion

http://www.longrangebpcr.com/8Phases.htm

Intended for bpcr, but gives you an idea.

wills
07-16-2006, 04:45 PM
more discussion

http://www.victorymolds.com/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions.htm